Cruise Control and Speedo Out of Sync

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ok, so far loving the JLUR but found my first "thing that makes you go hmmm" today.

So I've been mostly messing around on back roads for break-in but today got some highway time which meant first use of cruise control. The cruise control on the JL displays the "set" speed on the center LCD. What's odd is there is a roughly 2-3 mph difference between the displayed "set" speed and what the speedo indicates.

So for example:
- Indicating 60 mph on speedo and set cruise, center LCD displays set at 58
- Inversely if I use the +/- to raise the cruise set speed to 60, I'll indicate 62-63 on the speedo

I'm guessing this is just some bad calibration maybe but all other vehicles I've had that display cruise set speed always matched the speedo.

Any other JL drivers seeing this?
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Ill check mines tomorrow.... Will post back

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Ok, so far loving the JLUR but found my first "thing that makes you go hmmm" today.

So I've been mostly messing around on back roads for break-in but today got some highway time which meant first use of cruise control. The cruise control on the JL displays the "set" speed on the center LCD. What's odd is there is a roughly 2-3 mph difference between the displayed "set" speed and what the speedo indicates.

So for example:
- Indicating 60 mph on speedo and set cruise, center LCD displays set at 58
- Inversely if I use the +/- to raise the cruise set speed to 60, I'll indicate 62-63 on the speedo

I'm guessing this is just some bad calibration maybe but all other vehicles I've had that display cruise set speed always matched the speedo.

Any other JL drivers seeing this?
I don't see this on mine.

OP
OP
4WHLFUN

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The error seemed a little less today but here is a photo in case my description fails to make the point. I also turned on the digital speedo and that agrees with the cruise set speed and not the speedo gauge.

This isn’t enough of a problem to bother me but just thought it interesting. Also worth noting for anyone else trying it out... the slower you go the more in sync they are. Faster gets worse.

EA0C3FF3-C431-435D-85E7-4791ABA4651F.jpeg

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I have the same problem, in my case since I live in Mexico the offset is about 10 Km/h which is roughly 6 MPH, in paying close attention I noticed that the issue starts from a standstill, seems like the needle's resting position is way below 0 somewhere like minus 10 Km/h. I reported this last Sunday to the dealer, they said it's within the tolerance which I find VERY UNLIKELY they also said they would report back to the plant and request the visit from an FCA engineer. Personally this bothers me quite a bit because the analog speedo is my main source of information and we have a lot of speed cameras so I'd really be driving 10 Km/h over the limit if I don't pay attention.
I've posted a pic.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-27 at 8.03.31 AM.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Digital display can't do the half MPH.

hockey523

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Audi S5, '18 JLU Rubicon, '05 TJ Sport
I have this same issue. It’s annoying. Which one is correct?

50B33F22-E94D-4F64-A3A1-425E5224CB5C.jpeg

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
My mobile GPS reads -2mph below my speedometer. My wife's Odyssey does the same thing. My CX-9 was dead on.

hockey523

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Audi S5, '18 JLU Rubicon, '05 TJ Sport
My mobile GPS reads -2mph below my speedometer. My wife's Odyssey does the same thing. My CX-9 was dead on.
The problem is two different speeds on the cluster and it can be off as much as 7mph which is not so insignificant.

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Pleas post an update after it has been replaced! Im curious if it fixes it or not.
just talked to the dealer, the new cluster hasn't arrived yet, apparently there is a shortage of parts due to the new model launch, they recognize there is an issue with the analog speedo not matching with the digital one due to the needle not being in the correct position from start.
so we're not alone...

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Messed up my previous post. My analog is off by +2mph, not too bad but a little annoying

mwalsh39

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
I am having the same issue. Sometimes its off by 7 mph and sometimes its perfect. As others have mentioned, it starts at a stand still. I am also curious if this is affecting my total mileage, and displayed miles per gallon. I am thinking this because its only indicating 15.2 average mpg, which seems low.
Sponsored