Crossmembers and Skid Plates

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I have the Quadratec Engine/tranny and transfer case aluminum skids on mine. 2019 JLUR stock, other than 35s. I have the 3.6 and 8 speed, and wheel it a few times a year, so pretty similar to your situation.

The skids hang lower than stock. It's hard to hang something from the bottom of your Jeep and NOT lose clearance. But these will cost a small amount of clearance. I'll take that loss and scrape vs. punching a hole in my oil pan if a loose rock flips up, or pretzeling the exhaust crossover on pretty much anything more than 1" thick branch. I'm at stock height... a simple 1" spacer lift would give you all that clearance back if it was that big a deal.

The steel crossmembers are stouter than the stock ones. The crossmembers weigh as much if not more than the plates themselves. The ends of the crossmembers have gotten bent from being knocked into rocks, but they are strong enough to easily hold the weight of the Jeep dropping onto them. Anything will bend if you hit it hard enough. I haven't.

The aluminum plates... the engine/tranny skid's been on over a year, and has been repeatedly abused. And it shows it. The plate is bowed up where the crossmember isn't under it. it's not a crazy amount, but you can tell it's bent. It's gouged and scratched, but otherwise has held up very well.

The transfer case skid is fairly recent, and has only been up for a few trips. I'd need to climb under there and check it out for recent dings and damages. but I expect about the same as the oil/tranny skid.

You know what hasn't shown any damage since I put it on? The exhaust that I already dinged once before it was on and the engine and transmission oil pans. The plates do their job just fine, and at a good price point, too. Fitment was a no problem when installing them originally, I needed to put a jack under the engine/oil pan to move it around when I installed the t-case skid a few weeks ago.

If you live on rocks and regularly drag your Jeep across them, I'd recommend Metal Cloak's skid system over this. It overs good coverage, fits great, and is a bit more durable than these aluminum skids are. But, you will pay more and it will weigh more. And, you'll need to maintain them to make sure they don't rust since they are steel. For occasional use and abuse, the Quadratec ones have worked out well for me.

Pics attached of the dinged up exhaust crossover that got me looking for skids in the first place. The engine skid when new... and used. And the damaged steel crossmember. Don't have any handy of the t-case skid.

exhaust crossover.jpg

Skid 3.jpg

Skid 2.jpg

Skid 1.jpg

Crossmemember side.jpg
I've been eyeing this skid for a while because I was wondering how they would hold up. The cross member should be easy to repair and the aluminum doesn't look to bad all things considered. It's hard go tell in the pictures but how much has the skid bent up? Any concerns of it getting into the transmission with another good hit?
Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I've been eyeing this skid for a while because I was wondering how they would hold up. The cross member should be easy to repair and the aluminum doesn't look to bad all things considered. It's hard go tell in the pictures but how much has the skid bent up? Any concerns of it getting into the transmission with another good hit?
His review is spot-on. I've had the same skid for almost a year and mine is in about the same condition. It's held up just fine for me and protected what needed to be protected at a lower cost and lighter than its steel counterparts. I would buy the the same skid again.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
IIRC: The manual transmission doesn't get the front crossmember. I'm not sure how important it really is.
I recently learned that the front crossmember supports one small bolt of the gas tank skid on 2-doors.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I was looking at both Rusty's and Artec aluminum skids. I went with Artec because they are lighter (only 10 lbs over stock once gas pan skid is removed) and they provide an extra inch of clearance. Plus, Artec were on sale at Northridge 4x4 over the 4th and were $350 off. You can still get $200 off at Northridge by using JLWRANGLEFORUM code. Rusty's appear to provide more support and coverage, but for me it wasn't worth the additional cost, weight, and less clearance.