Sponsored

Critters eating your wires are not covered under warranty.....

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I had 14 miles on my Rubicon and the idiot lights came on and took it to dealer.. He said look at this... see photo. Some critters where making a home on the battery as I would put the Jeep back in the barn after a weekend drive and the critters loved the warmth from the battery and made a home.

Dealer said if they chew on wires it will not be covered under warranty.... so I put some bait out to keep the critters away. Well it worked... see photos. I used Tom Cat mice bait from Lowes.

On my second set of bait and I now store my Jeep in the garage at house and moved the ATV's to the barn for the winter.

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That makes sense, a warranty is intended to cover manufacturer defects.
Another trick for you, is to spread moth balls around the area in which you park the Jeep. Rodents don't like the smell and will nest elsewhere. I've hear charcoal works too, but haven't tried it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a ball-bearing mouse trap around that barn?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So you might wonder why mice are eating your wires. Turns out many plastics manufacturers started using a soy based plastic instead of petroleum based. They use in in insulation and irrigation applications. Friggin’ squirrels kept eating the valves on my neigbor’s solar pool heater. Anyway, the rodents smell the vegetable base and figure its food.

I would not use the Tomcat in your engine compartment. Put the bait traps near your jeep and they’ll go for it instead.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@MacJack

Between this Summer and last Summer combined, I have lets say dealt with 26 chipmunks and 6 squirrels that decided they would live in my JK and JL's engine compartment. The chipmunks even made a home in my JK's, air filter box. Oh, they also ate half of the sound deadener on my JK's engine compartment hood.

Yes, I live in a very isolated area in Upstate NY, with lots of woods nearby..

I keep a heavy plastic screen on the JL's air intake box opening hole, to keep chipmunks from making a house in the air box.

Anyway, I quickly deal with them .... with the new arrivals, using a Rat Zapper.

Current Score: Bill: 26 Chipmunks, 6 squirrels ---- Critters: 0

41wSypxmQOL._AC_US400_QL65_.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
WOW.... so I'm not the only one with issues....

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
That makes sense, a warranty is intended to cover manufacturer defects.
Another trick for you, is to spread moth balls around the area in which you park the Jeep. Rodents don't like the smell and will nest elsewhere. I've hear charcoal works too, but haven't tried it.
Has any of these ideas been tested or anyone out there have a proven protections.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
So you might wonder why mice are eating your wires. Turns out many plastics manufacturers started using a soy based plastic instead of petroleum based. They use in in insulation and irrigation applications. Friggin’ squirrels kept eating the valves on my neigbor’s solar pool heater. Anyway, the rodents smell the vegetable base and figure its food.

I would not use the Tomcat in your engine compartment. Put the bait traps near your jeep and they’ll go for it instead.
I do have a lot of bait traps all over the barn around the Jeep and still they come to the battery twice... then I put the bait on the battery cables and it stopped them.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Best stuff in the world for your problem.....

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Bait-Chunx-Pail-LB/dp/B005BV0DD2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=7TQ4ISKQOUKV&keywords=tomcat+bait+blocks&qid=1548031965&sprefix=tomcat,aps,124&sr=8-5

Be warned, it WILL kill other things like birds, squirrels, and anything else that eats them. Dogs/cats will get violently ill and probably die. I've watched this stuff work (mouse ate for 5 seconds, walked a few feet, stopped, had a heart attack, and dropped dead)

This stuff is used commercially all the time, it's the real deal.

Having said that, I'd definitely keep my 50K jeep in the garage and not a barn.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Bait-Chunx-Pail-LB/dp/B005BV0DD2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=7TQ4ISKQOUKV&keywords=tomcat+bait+blocks&qid=1548031965&sprefix=tomcat,aps,124&sr=8-5

Be warned, it WILL kill other things like birds, squirrels, and anything else that eats them. Dogs/cats will get violently ill and probably die. I've watched this stuff work (mouse ate for 5 seconds, walked a few feet, stopped, had a heart attack, and dropped dead)

You’re right. Its nasty stuff. But there is a more eco friendly alternative. Does require some maintenance to dump the bodies

Sponsored

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a ball-bearing mouse trap around that barn?
No I do not... in fact I had to lookup what a ball bearing trap was.... Have you used them and do you use water....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@NFRs2000NYC

Yes, that is what I use in my sheds to get the mice. Good stuff.. that works. I get it from a local friend that is a licensed exterminator.

My Jl sleeps in a rather nice garage but even then ya got to be on the lookout for the critters that could be lets say, passing by.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase

Good advise... I agree... that is why I moved the Jeep to the house garage... Still put my Tom Cat bait on the battery cables just in case they miss the bait all over the garage.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@MacJack

Between this Summer and last Summer combined, I have lets say dealt with 26 chipmunks and 6 squirrels that decided they would live in my JK and JL's engine compartment. The chipmunks even made a home in my JK's, air filter box. Oh, they also ate half of the sound deadener on my JK's engine compartment hood.

Yes, I live in a very isolated area in Upstate NY, with lots of woods nearby..

I keep a heavy plastic screen on the JL's air intake box opening hole, to keep chipmunks from making a house in the air box.

Anyway, I quickly deal with them .... with the new arrivals, using a Rat Zapper.

Current Score: Bill: 26 Chipmunks, 6 squirrels ---- Critters: 0

41wSypxmQOL._AC_US400_QL65_.jpg
Good Job Bill.... I have had critters put corn in my tractor exhaust and after starting it up to plow snow, filled up my barn with popcorn... Now based on your stats for Rat Zapper, did you have to clean it out each kill.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
No I do not... in fact I had to lookup what a ball bearing trap was.... Have you used them and do you use water....
Lol, that's what my Dad used to call a tom cat. Not the bait, but an actual tom cat. :cwl:
Sponsored