luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely agree on suggestion to skip Silverton. Town is dead after 5:00PM, and even before that it is just a shadow of what it used to be. Ouray is much livelier place especially in the evening. I spend at least 2 weeks every year camping and wheeling in Ouray and Silverton vicinity. We spend very little time in Silverton despite the facts that a lot of our favorite trails connect with it.
Hmm, I liked Silverton. Didnt spend too much time there, but what I saw I enjoyed. Maybe thats because we treated it as a stopping point when entering/leaving the alpine loop.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hey everyone,

My wife and I got back from our trip last Monday and I thought I would share some pictures.

IMG_20210923_080403.jpg

IMG_20210923_092801.jpg

IMG_5622.jpg
IMG_5626.jpg
IMG_5637.jpg
IMG_20210923_110715.jpg
IMG_5641.jpg
IMG_20210923_121910.jpg
IMG_5655.jpg
IMG_5659.jpg
IMG_20210923_154520.jpg
IMG_5674.jpg
IMG_5682.jpg
IMG_5683.jpg
IMG_5689.jpg
IMG_20210924_164850.jpg
IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg
IMG_5732.jpg
Man I am jealous. Wife and I would do trips like this ALL the time until our baby was born early this year. I need to get out of this house badly and this baby need to grow up already lol.

We'd do less jeeping and more hiking. But I'd always be able to squeeze in a trail or two lol.

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Man I am jealous. Wife and I would do trips like this ALL the time until our baby was born early this year. I need to get out of this house badly and this baby need to grow up already lol.

We'd do less jeeping and more hiking. But I'd always be able to squeeze in a trail or two lol.
Haha, I will be where you are next year. Wife is due in April, so we decided to get some trip action in before the little one is here. Hoping we can get back to camping and all that when the baby is 1. We'll see how realistic that is though.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Haha, I will be where you are next year. Wife is due in April, so we decided to get some trip action in before the little one is here. Hoping we can get back to camping and all that when the baby is 1. We'll see how realistic that is though.
I think it is. Mine is almost 9 months and we definitely see ourselves camping soon. Good luck!!! Yeap it is a whole year at least lol. First 3 months are brutal. Life starts showing up again around 6.

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is. Mine is almost 9 months and we definitely see ourselves camping soon. Good luck!!! Yeap it is a whole year at least lol. First 3 months are brutal. Life starts showing up again around 6.
Good to know. You going to try doing primitive camping or are you going to stay closer to established camping just in case something comes up with the little one? Something I've been thinking about lately.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Yeah we basically just scratched the surface. There is so much to do in that area it is a little overwhelming (and a little exhausting!).
I have lived in Colorado my entire life. Have spent most of my exploring time in the mountains. You are correct in your assessment. There is a crazy amount of country.

Sam

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
@luna4x4

I have the same idea you had for a big trip from IL in 2023 (we had our little guy in April... Finally starting to feel close to normal at 6 months...) We'd likely spend a week or so out in CO and would want to see all of the well-known areas you mentioned.

I'll ask you what you asked of the forum... Critique your trip for us, please!

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
@luna4x4

I have the same idea you had for a big trip from IL in 2023 (we had our little guy in April... Finally starting to feel close to normal at 6 months...) We'd likely spend a week or so out in CO and would want to see all of the well-known areas you mentioned.

I'll ask you what you asked of the forum... Critique your trip for us, please!
Fair request. The trip as I had planned out in my original post is definitely doable. The downside to it though is we really didn't get the chance to explore Ouray, Telluride, and Silverton very well because we felt rushed for time. If I did this same trip again I would add another day or two to slow down and just hang out in Telluride or Ouray.

As far as Jeep trails go though, the trip was epic and will be something that my wife and I always remember.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I want to do a trip to that area next year. Will be driving from IL also, total novice. How would you rate the trails from easy to hard for a stock Rubicon.

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing!

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Fair request. The trip as I had planned out in my original post is definitely doable. The downside to it though is we really didn't get the chance to explore Ouray, Telluride, and Silverton very well because we felt rushed for time. If I did this same trip again I would add another day or two to slow down and just hang out in Telluride or Ouray.

As far as Jeep trails go though, the trip was epic and will be something that my wife and I always remember.
Wow, immediate feedback... Thank you! Realistically, this will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for us, so this is very helpful. There's a lot on our bucket list, so if we're in that area we're going to hit everything we can, but want enough time to enjoy it. I just don't want to rush it either and struggle with estimating time on these trips.

Do you have any input on Engineer Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch or, of course, Black Bear Pass? Is there anything else we definitely have to experience if we're in that area?

Sponsored

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I want to do a trip to that area next year. Will be driving from IL also, total novice. How would you rate the trails from easy to hard for a stock Rubicon.

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing!
For a complete novice, I would put Imogene at moderate just because it's narrow. Ophir was easier and maybe a little narrower in parts but was much shorter. You would do find in a stock Rubicon. We saw people in rental Jeeps doing these trails, lol.

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, immediate feedback... Thank you! Realistically, this will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for us, so this is very helpful. There's a lot on our bucket list, so if we're in that area we're going to hit everything we can, but want enough time to enjoy it. I just don't want to rush it either and struggle with estimating time on these trips.

Do you have any input on Engineer Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch or, of course, Black Bear Pass? Is there anything else we definitely have to experience if we're in that area?
I did not hit Black Bear pass cause I am a wuss, lol. Out of the three that you mentioned we only hit Engineer pass which I consider to be a moderate trail. A little rockey in some parts but not bad if you just take your time.

Definitely take your time. Don't pack too many trails/points in quick succession because you will feel rushed.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Came to say your itinerary looks fine and not too optimistic... but I see you're already back. GREAT photos, good-looking dog and jeep!

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
So, my little girl was born in April and my wife and I reminisce about this trip every chance we get. We can't wait to revisit Colorado some day and explore some more.
Sponsored