First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are planning on visiting Colorado 9/23 - 9/26 and I need a sanity check to make sure I haven't bit off more than I can chew. Our plan is to hit some scenic 4x4 trails and camp along the way in the San Juan mountains.

Here is an overview of our itinerary:
  • 9/23 - Imogene pass from Ouray to Telluride. Eat lunch/explore a little of Telluride, then head to the Alta Lakes area to do some camping.
  • 9/24 - Alta Lakes to Ophir pass. Once done with Ophir pass we are going to head to Silverton and spend some time in town. After checking out Silverton we start the Alpine Loop trail. We will find a camp site on the trail, most likely Mill Creek campground.
  • 9/25 - Finish alpine Loop, find campsite off the 550 at one of the dispersed camping areas.
  • 9/26 - head back to California

Our busiest day is going to be on 9/24 it looks like. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?
Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Don't due Black Bear Pass unless you have plenty of clean under ware. The Telluride area has plenty of great trails and passes, my sister lived in Telluride for 30 years so I have done just about all of then over the years on my dual sport motorcycles, but never a Jeep. Don't forget about Ouray, I think you will like it better then Silverton.

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Don't due Black Bear Pass unless you have plenty of clean under ware. The Telluride area has plenty of great trails and passes, my sister lived in Telluride for 30 years so I have done just about all of then over the years on my dual sport motorcycles, but never a Jeep. Don't forget about Ouray, I think you will like it better then Silverton.
Definitely not going to do Black Bear Pass without my usual group. Going to stick to scenic trails since my wife and I will be by ourselves. We definitely won't be forgetting about Ouray. We are actually going to be spending the night in Ouray on 9/22 so we can rest up after our long drive.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That itinerary looks very reasonable for that trip. You can squeeze in more if you spend more time in the day on the trail but carving out time to stop and enjoy the trip is a good plan.

Be sure to pack winter clothing. It's not unheard of to get snow in late September. Certainly low temps with high wind are common. Layers are your friend.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I think I'd pick black bear over imogene. Not that imogene is difficult (I had no issues with a stock commander on it), or not scenic, but black bear is right there and is just the quintessential trail for the area.

Black Bear is not a tough trail, it can just mess with your head and if something goes wrong you're in for a world of hurt, but that can happen on imogene as well. Weather can play a role though, there is a video out there from a year or two ago of Jeep in a flashflood on the switchbacks. But assuming you have a nice day, the biggest challenge is avoiding all of the tourists in their rental Jeeps, but they're over on Imogene as well. Biggest difference is Imogene has them coming at you from both directions while Black Bear is a one way through the switchbacks. Maybe if you already have a plan to come back next year to do Black Bear with your buddies then sure skip it this time. But if it were me and I wasn't sure when I might be back I'd probably be running Black Bear rather than Imogene. Imogene is nice to have in your back pocket though if for some reason Black Bear is closed.

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'd pick black bear over imogene. Not that imogene is difficult (I had no issues with a stock commander on it), or not scenic, but black bear is right there and is just the quintessential trail for the area.

Black Bear is not a tough trail, it can just mess with your head and if something goes wrong you're in for a world of hurt, but that can happen on imogene as well. Weather can play a role though, there is a video out there from a year or two ago of Jeep in a flashflood on the switchbacks. But assuming you have a nice day, the biggest challenge is avoiding all of the tourists in their rental Jeeps, but they're over on Imogene as well. Biggest difference is Imogene has them coming at you from both directions while Black Bear is a one way through the switchbacks. Maybe if you already have a plan to come back next year to do Black Bear with your buddies then sure skip it this time. But if it were me and I wasn't sure when I might be back I'd probably be running Black Bear rather than Imogene. Imogene is nice to have in your back pocket though if for some reason Black Bear is closed.
Appreciate your input, I will definitely reconsider. Regarding that video, I think that was bleepinjeep, and yeah that looked scary as hell.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great photos, looks like a great time! Got back about 3 weeks ago from the San Juans and already counting the days til we can get back there.

That Imogene is a great run, and the views above timberline on all these trails is jaw-dropping.

Next time try to sneak in Poughkeepsie w/ a finish on Hurricane then Corkscrew pass. Lake Como above Poughkeepsie is breathtaking and the Red Mountains off corkscrew is also postcard worthy!

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
IMG_5732.jpg

[/QUOTE]
I've held all my goldens in camping photos the exact same way - made me laugh.

Awesome trip. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Sponsored

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I've held all my goldens in camping photos the exact same way - made me laugh.

Awesome trip. Thanks for sharing your pics.
[/QUOTE]

haha, yeah, I like to do the same. They look so derpy and it always make me laugh.

OP
OP
luna4x4

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Great photos, looks like a great time! Got back about 3 weeks ago from the San Juans and already counting the days til we can get back there.

That Imogene is a great run, and the views above timberline on all these trails is jaw-dropping.

Next time try to sneak in Poughkeepsie w/ a finish on Hurricane then Corkscrew pass. Lake Como above Poughkeepsie is breathtaking and the Red Mountains off corkscrew is also postcard worthy!
Yeah we basically just scratched the surface. There is so much to do in that area it is a little overwhelming (and a little exhausting!).

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Love the photos! We’ve been a couple times in my husband’s JK. I can’t wait to get back in my JL.

DV LAWYER

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yeah we basically just scratched the surface. There is so much to do in that area it is a little overwhelming (and a little exhausting!).
Secret is to just take your time and keep going back. No use in trying to do everything at once. Seems like you’re enjoying the journey—

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Definitely agree on suggestion to skip Silverton. Town is dead after 5:00PM, and even before that it is just a shadow of what it used to be. Ouray is much livelier place especially in the evening. I spend at least 2 weeks every year camping and wheeling in Ouray and Silverton vicinity. We spend very little time in Silverton despite the facts that a lot of our favorite trails connect with it.
Sponsored