First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I appreciate very much the pro-tips and advice that you all gave, I think you saved from making poor antenna choices.

Just placed order with TheAntennaFarm.com for the following:

• Antenna: Laird Technologies BB4505CNS. This is a 1/2 wave antenna, 450-470 frequency, no ground plane, advertises 5.5 db gain, 31 inches, black and a spring base. I think the mounted height will nearly match that of the OEM AM/FM antenna.
  • NMO & Coax: Larsen NMOKHFUD. Persons more informed than I point to this NMO/Coax as a bit more rugged and weather-resilient compared to your standard NMO. They point out that NMO's are typically mounted under a roof. Mounted on a blacket and exposed to the elements, you're at some risk of connection/cable deterioration should water get in. This NMO may provide some greater protection. I'll do what others have done and add shrink wrap at the cable/metal connect point. The good folks at The Antenna Farm are going to cut to a 10 foot length, so I don't have spare cable to deal with.
  • Adaptors:
    • At the other end of the coax will be the Lands Precision 2800 FME Female Connector. This is just to provide a smaller coax-end footprint for fishing through the firewall and nooks and crannies / hook and grannies. (points if you can name the reference!)
    • The Lands Precision 2355 UHF Male 259 adaptor will link the FME Female Coax end to the radio.
  • Cap: Figured I should get a cap for car-washes, etc. The Larsen NMOCAPB.
FWIW, my experience with The Antenna Farm was very positive, customer service could not have been more helpful answering my questions and identifying needed parts, get me set up for my order.

I think this is the last bit of gear I need, unless I change my mind on anything.
I like the plan but have a question about the adapter. If you have to solder that to the coax, have you considered just getting a "solder on" 259 connector? That was what I did. I cut the connector off the coax and ran it from my antenna mount at the rear of my JL. That made the coax very easy to get thru the hole I drilled.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I like the plan but have a question about the adapter. If you have to solder that to the coax, have you considered just getting a "solder on" 259 connector? That was what I did. I cut the connector off the coax and ran it from my antenna mount at the rear of my JL. That made the coax very easy to get thru the hole I drilled.
I’m actually having the vendor make the connection for me

JeepTex

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have my KG1000G mounted under the driver's seat, the head unit is attached to a ball mount on the passenger grab rail with 67 Design arm and modified 67 Design SwitchPro SP9100 Switch Panel mount, the mike is on a 67 design arm with jeep uniq Wauxun mike mount, there is also a Lars mike mount on the driver's freedom panel if needed, I am running a Nagoya NL-770G with a NMO converter, for long distance and/or a Midland Stealth for tight quaters on a NMO magnetic mount attached to a Rotopax mount on my Rhino rack, works great, my SWR is 1.1 with the Nagoya NL-770G

Kg-1000.jpg

Antenna.jpg

Mic alt.jpg
What mount are you using for your Valentine One? Is it also 67 designs?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
That’s way more kit than is necessary for overlanding. A quality handheld is all you need. Ask me how I know.
I’m sure you’re right but…how do you know !

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I’m sure you’re right but…how do you know !
Because I regularly overland with a handheld GMRS and it works perfectly for communicating with my group. ;)

If nothing else, I’d recommend you try it before implementing such a complicated solution. That’s what I did. I was like, “welp, might as well see if the easy way is sufficient. I can always do it the hard way later.”

Turns out easy worked well. GMRS is so much better than CB., Handheld CBs were always crap inside a rig.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
to each his own, after wheeling with a handheld, i much prefer the convenience, large easy to read display, sound, range and power of a mobile GRMS radio, still bring a handheld for when I am out of the jeep

Sponsored

KTeam

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK Rubicon Hard Rock
Because I regularly overland with a handheld GMRS and it works perfectly for communicating with my group. ;)

If nothing else, I’d recommend you try it before implementing such a complicated solution. That’s what I did. I was like, “welp, might as well see if the easy way is sufficient. I can always do it the hard way later.”

Turns out easy worked well. GMRS is so much better than CB., Handheld CBs were always crap inside a rig.
What handheld do you recommend for a beginner?

RemisPaPa

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-350
Occupation
Retired Marine, DoD Civilian
It’s a cool tech with I think a Lazar mike mount screwed to it. Plus I raised it up a bit for my own needs.
Would you mind linking these two items please? My search has me struggling to find what you show. Thanks

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed

landshark99

First Name
Bob