DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey gang, let me know what you think or what I’m doing wrong! New to it all, doing as much reading as I can.

So, my American Adventure Labs NMO mount has shipped.

View attachment 557606

Planning this Larsen NMO and coax with the uhf male connector, bc it is purportedly more resilient to weather given the construction. I’ll put heat shrink on it too. Part # NMOKHFUD. Trying to see if the seller would cut it to a 10’ length for me, vs the 17’ that comes standard. I want to avoid having a span that just lies coiled under my carpet.

View attachment 557610

And I’m thinking the STI-CO flexi-whip 1/4 wave antenna, is a good choice, can tune for GMRS. it’s super flexy, seems to have good reviews. I have read that the phantom / stealth style antennas are not great performers, and the 6db antennas are meh for mountains and the db claims are dubious (?). From my reading, sounds like a 1/4 wave antenna tuned for GMRS is a solid choice.

View attachment 557611

I have the Wouxun kg-1000g radio. GMRS is new to me. Have been getting some education from itsnotarubicon on YouTube. Just reading the radio manual, I’ll have lots to learn!!

View attachment 557613

…and the Rugged Radios mount, which will position the radio on passenger side of center console. (For now, I’m not planning to mount the detachable faceplate on the dash…kind of like keeping the dash area clean, and for now at least, I don’t anticipate a need to be hands on the radio constantly. Simplex at least will be set it and forget it.)

View attachment 557614

The mic will ride a magnetic-mic mount with a 67design ball mount. Either on the grab bar or possibly on an arm from the 67 designs rail mount.

View attachment 557617

I anticipate wiring straight to the battery.

Tell me what you think, welcome any pro-tips!!
Looks like it kicks ass, to me! I really like that antenna mount. It has a better shot at a good ground than any I've seen outside of the spare tire carrier, but I don't think they get high enough, and antenna height matters.

Love everything else. Mine is similar in some ways. I've got the KSG1000 radio, as well. I like it but I think I'm going to go back to Midland when the MXT575 comes out. It's just such a clean mount.

I put the chassis for the KSG 1000 under my seat, but off the floor. I used a little Amazon steel bakers rack and zip tied the chassis to it and it to the seat slider mechanism so it gets cool air all around and stays up out of any moisture that could potentially sneak in there. The downside is that I have to run an external speaker because the main one is just not loud enough. For the price of that thing they should have stuck a much more powerful speaker in there, like Radioddity did with their 20 and 25 watt radios. Those are LOUD. The speaker in the mic is a joke. The MXT275 had the balls to be heard with its much better mic speaker. And it was so much less cluttered than the way I'm running it all right now.

Below are some shots of my setup. I've got the KSG1000 face plate on a RAM mount but will likely velcro it to the flat dash space right under it to bring it down a bit.

I'd love to get our two Jeeps out in the desert or flatlands somewhere and see how far we can reach each other with these 50 watt beasts. That'd tell us how our antenna setups are working.

Both the JK and JL have the antenna on the same mount and use the same Midland 6db antenna.

THe JL isn't too bad. That wire on the right is to a dash cam. I'll be cleaning that up this summer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Critique my GMRS kit … PXL_20211010_154311823

Jeep Wrangler JL Critique my GMRS kit … PXL_20211014_122457404

The JK set up is a little simpler, with a Radioddity DB25G on top of the dash. Man, that speaker is LOUD. It would be no trouble to hear it on the highway with the doors off and top down! The CB speaker above the rear-view fires straight down and is equally loud (Thanks, Uniden!) and easy to hear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Critique my GMRS kit … PXL_20210921_000445618
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely a very compromised place for the antenna but I get that it's tough to find one that's not on a Wrangler.

First thing, 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave antennas are heavily dependent on a proper ground plane. Don't think of a ground plane for an antenna like a ground for electrical outlets. Not even close to the same thing. The best mounting position will always be high and center. Second, when antennas have a base coil like that, they radiate more from the bottom half than the top and not only are you on the extreme edge of your ground plane, the shape of your hood is blocking the only good direction you have which brings me to the third thing: When you do put an antenna on the corner of a vehicle, it becomes directional and the signal primarily hears and talks in the direction of the metal ground plane. That means your best signal, if that mount is on the left side of your hood, would be diagonal off of the passenger rear but again, you are blocking most of that direction with the hood. A 1/4 wave on your hood (centered left to right but close to the windshield) would most likely outperform that 5/8 wave in the extreme corner (in most directions). I've seen a mount that goes on the tire rack that then elevates the antenna above the roofline. Looks a little goofy but that would work better than what you have and probably better than what I described above. Your "directional-ness" would at least be in the direction you are driving.

If you can find a half wave antenna, those don't need a ground plane and won't care nearly as much about where on the vehicle you mount them but the rule of thumb would remain centered and as high as possible even with a 1/2 wave. Watch out for dual band antennas that say they are half wave. Yes, they would be half waves for one of the bands but not both. Chances are the higher frequency will be the GMRS one on a dual band antenna and you'll then end up with stacked 5/8 waves. You should ignore DB gain for many reasons I won't dive into here.

THIS one claims to not need a ground plane but doesn't say it's half wave. To make a half wave antenna the right way you need to feed it from the center so I don't get the base coil but again, they claim it doesn't need a ground: GMRS Mobile UHF Whip Antenna with Black NMO Base, No Ground plane requ – Arcadian - ArcAntenna.com

This next one is a magnet mount and it's cheap so maybe try this on your hood? The store (Buy Two Way Radios) is great and I'd bet they'd even have some suggestions. Midland MicroMobile MXTA13 GMRS Antenna with Magnet Mount (buytwowayradios.com)

If you want to dive in and learn way too much more than you need, check out www.radioreference.com which is like wikipedia for everything two way radio. They have a forum section where your exact question was asked and answered.

Hope that helps.
I wonder if that little tiny magnetic antenna that comes with the Midlands would do ok on the little 4" or so diameter steel plate they sell with 3M backing if it were stuck to the center of the hard top, up high? Adhesive Backed Metallic Mount

Jeep Wrangler JL Critique my GMRS kit … 1642964610371

Otherwise, I've not found a better place on a Jeep for an antenna than by the A-pillar like OP and I have done. I can transmit with 5 or 6 miles of range consistently in somewhat hilly terrain with lots of houses and trees, which is good enough for wheeling. Reception is much better.

I would try by the spare tire, but my CB antenna occupies that space.

Jeeps just don't give you too many good options.

Another of the very few good things about that front quarter mount is that the A-pillar blocks it so that my cowl lights don't reflect off of it and into my eyes. I also would imagine it blocks it a little from irradiating my brain when I'm transmitting.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Which mount is that?
It’s a cool tech with I think a Lazar mike mount screwed to it. Plus I raised it up a bit for my own needs.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I wonder if that little tiny magnetic antenna that comes with the Midlands would do ok on the little 4" or so diameter steel plate they sell with 3M backing if it were stuck to the center of the hard top, up high? Adhesive Backed Metallic Mount

Jeep Wrangler JL Critique my GMRS kit … 1642964610371

Otherwise, I've not found a better place on a Jeep for an antenna than by the A-pillar like OP and I have done. I can transmit with 5 or 6 miles of range consistently in somewhat hilly terrain with lots of houses and trees, which is good enough for wheeling. Reception is much better.

I would try by the spare tire, but my CB antenna occupies that space.

Jeeps just don't give you too many good options.

Another of the very few good things about that front quarter mount is that the A-pillar blocks it so that my cowl lights don't reflect off of it and into my eyes. I also would imagine it blocks it a little from irradiating my brain when I'm transmitting.
I have a steel hood, but not sure that presents any better options for me. I’m not too inclined to bore a hole in it, and not sure that gains me very much given that it’s still way below roof line. Sky one-touch roof gives me zero roof mount options. I have teraflex spare carrier and hinge, but I don’t think they have any antenna mount accessories yet for the JL.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
It’s a cool tech with I think a Lazar mike mount screwed to it. Plus I raised it up a bit for my own needs.
So the mount on the back of your Baofeng is a mic mount vs. a belt clip?

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
So the mount on the back of your Baofeng is a mic mount vs. a belt clip?
Belt clip. The mike mount I use can go both ways, hang a mike button off it or open up a belt clip and drop it in.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Belt clip. The mike mount I use can go both ways, hang a mike button off it or open up a belt clip and drop it in.
Thanks. Looks like the perfect solution for me. I appreciate you answering my questions.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
Thanks. Looks like the perfect solution for me. I appreciate you answering my questions.
ive been happy with it. Usually carry my phone but also my FT70 or UV5R or GMRS depending on who I am running with. Hand held radio from inside my rig is usually enough to talk to the next jeep.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Like the setup, Im currently running a mounted CB and a handheld KG-935G. I'm also using a CB Bar as I like my COMM's overhead. Im waiting to see the midland MXT575, ill mount that behind the dash or under passenger seat and put the mic where yours is.
I've been waiting for the 575 for a while now.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Hey gang, let me know what you think or what I’m doing wrong! New to it all, doing as much reading as I can.

So, my American Adventure Labs NMO mount has shipped.

View attachment 557606

Planning this Larsen NMO and coax with the uhf male connector, bc it is purportedly more resilient to weather given the construction. I’ll put heat shrink on it too. Part # NMOKHFUD. Trying to see if the seller would cut it to a 10’ length for me, vs the 17’ that comes standard. I want to avoid having a span that just lies coiled under my carpet.

View attachment 557610

And I’m thinking the STI-CO flexi-whip 1/4 wave antenna, is a good choice, can tune for GMRS. it’s super flexy, seems to have good reviews. I have read that the phantom / stealth style antennas are not great performers, and the 6db antennas are meh for mountains and the db claims are dubious (?). From my reading, sounds like a 1/4 wave antenna tuned for GMRS is a solid choice.

View attachment 557611

I have the Wouxun kg-1000g radio. GMRS is new to me. Have been getting some education from itsnotarubicon on YouTube. Just reading the radio manual, I’ll have lots to learn!!

View attachment 557613

…and the Rugged Radios mount, which will position the radio on passenger side of center console. (For now, I’m not planning to mount the detachable faceplate on the dash…kind of like keeping the dash area clean, and for now at least, I don’t anticipate a need to be hands on the radio constantly. Simplex at least will be set it and forget it.)

View attachment 557614

The mic will ride a magnetic-mic mount with a 67design ball mount. Either on the grab bar or possibly on an arm from the 67 designs rail mount.

View attachment 557617

I anticipate wiring straight to the battery.

Tell me what you think, welcome any pro-tips!!
Nice set-up, how's it working out?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been waiting for the 575 for a while now.
Midland told me it'll be a summer release. I'm in the second it hits the market.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have my KG1000G mounted under the driver's seat, the head unit is attached to a ball mount on the passenger grab rail with 67 Design arm and modified 67 Design SwitchPro SP9100 Switch Panel mount, the mike is on a 67 design arm with jeep uniq Wauxun mike mount, there is also a Lars mike mount on the driver's freedom panel if needed, I am running a Nagoya NL-770G with a NMO converter, for long distance and/or a Midland Stealth for tight quaters on a NMO magnetic mount attached to a Rotopax mount on my Rhino rack, works great, my SWR is 1.1 with the Nagoya NL-770G

Kg-1000.jpg

Antenna.jpg

Mic alt.jpg

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Nice set-up, how's it working out?
thanks! I don’t yet have everything in hand, and still need to select an antenna. And Nothing is yet mounted
My next problem might be having anyone to talk to. I told my wife I was going to get a hand-held for her and my daughter for road trips when we’re taking more than one vehicle. She reminded me we have cell phones …where’s the fun in that !!

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
thanks! I don’t yet have everything in hand, and still need to select an antenna. And Nothing is yet mounted
My next problem might be having anyone to talk to. I told my wife I was going to get a hand-held for her and my daughter for road trips when we’re taking more than one vehicle. She reminded me we have cell phones …where’s the fun in that !!
I mounted a Wouxun KG-XS20G in the RV so that we can communicate on the road, out west there are a lot of spots with no cell service

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
I appreciate very much the pro-tips and advice that you all gave, I think you saved from making poor antenna choices.

Just placed order with TheAntennaFarm.com for the following:

• Antenna: Laird Technologies BB4505CNS. This is a 1/2 wave antenna, 450-470 frequency, no ground plane, advertises 5.5 db gain, 31 inches, black and a spring base. I think the mounted height will nearly match that of the OEM AM/FM antenna.
  • NMO & Coax: Larsen NMOKHFUD. Persons more informed than I point to this NMO/Coax as a bit more rugged and weather-resilient compared to your standard NMO. They point out that NMO's are typically mounted under a roof. Mounted on a blacket and exposed to the elements, you're at some risk of connection/cable deterioration should water get in. This NMO may provide some greater protection. I'll do what others have done and add shrink wrap at the cable/metal connect point. The good folks at The Antenna Farm are going to cut to a 10 foot length, so I don't have spare cable to deal with.
  • Adaptors:
    • At the other end of the coax will be the Lands Precision 2800 FME Female Connector. This is just to provide a smaller coax-end footprint for fishing through the firewall and nooks and crannies / hook and grannies. (points if you can name the reference!)
    • The Lands Precision 2355 UHF Male 259 adaptor will link the FME Female Coax end to the radio.
  • Cap: Figured I should get a cap for car-washes, etc. The Larsen NMOCAPB.
FWIW, my experience with The Antenna Farm was very positive, customer service could not have been more helpful answering my questions and identifying needed parts, get me set up for my order.

I think this is the last bit of gear I need, unless I change my mind on anything.
Sponsored