First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Just curious how this works. Maryland car tax is 6% and Ohio is 5.75.
It’s my understanding they collect taxes for the state it will be titled in so 5.75 correct?

I should then receive proof taxes were collected and present that to my local BMV to title it.
Sponsored

UDUBJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T
It’s my understanding they collect taxes for the state it will be titled in so 5.75 correct?

I should then receive proof taxes were collected and present that to my local BMV to title it.
That is all correct.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
With a lot of people now buying vehicles out of state to get the best deals, I’m waiting for new legislation on additional taxes to be paid to the state where the vehicle is purchased. I can only imagine the revenue that is lost to those states, especially on the east coast where a lot of large volume dealers are located and give the best deals.

Sarahg

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
I was told you pay the taxes in that state and when you get to your home state and take all your paperwork with you to the DMV, pay the tax in your home state and the buying state will write you a refund. I haven’t found a different answer among dealers.

Sponsored

fjrrider

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUS
I was told you pay the taxes in that state and when you get to your home state and take all your paperwork with you to the DMV, pay the tax in your home state and the buying state will write you a refund. I haven’t found a different answer among dealers.
I live in PA. I bought my vehicle at Criswell in MD. Criswell collected the sales tax. There was no additional tax payment and no refund.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara

Im from Youngstown and shopped the entire state for months. Nobody came close to Criswell. Ask for Pat Mantua. He helped me through the entire process and made it very simple.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Im from Youngstown and shopped the entire state for months. Nobody came close to Criswell. Ask for Pat Mantua. He helped me through the entire process and made it very simple.
I ended up going with Chris at Farrish. 8.75% under invoice.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I feel confident I got a GREAT deal but if I was going again (kill me) I think I want to check these folks out. Located in Gaithersburg?

MDub51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru STI
I live in NH, which has no sales tax. If I were to buy from Criswell, I wouldn't pay a sales tax at time of purchase, correct?

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I live in NH, which has no sales tax. If I were to buy from Criswell, I wouldn't pay a sales tax at time of purchase, correct?
I don't think there is any relation to the sales tax you mentioned and the fees you pay at the time you register it with the state. I live in a sales tax free state as well. The first time you register a new vehicle you pay a document fee. On a 50K automobile our fee is $2125.00, I am betting NH does the same thing. Neither a MD resident or a NH resident pays the MD state sales tax when purchasing a vehicle in MD. Everything is due when and more importantly where you register it. It has to work this way, I don't see any other way it could flow.
Sponsored