Credit card fraud by Tire Vendor

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
A few days ago I went online to buy new shoes for my little one. I found a pretty good price with free shipping for 5 Kenda Klevers. I went on line to the vendor and went through the process up until I got to the shipping section. The page told me that they could not ship to my home address via FEDEX. However they could ship to a FEDEX shipping site or a tire store installer that would cost me $165 to mount and balance the tires Well, that was not acceptable to me. Since by now they had my credit data and I was getting a bit frustrated. I called l their customer service number and got on line with a salesman. We discussed the fact that my home address is off the grip and even though it has an address, it is not in the USPS data base with no mail delivery. Even though UPS and FEDEX delivers up here regularly there was no way he could get the order to be accepted by his system. So I calmly told him to cancel everything and mentioned that he or his system already had my credit card data and wanted to make sure it was deleted. The order was cancelled, but lo and behold within hours that same day I got an alert from the credit card company that a $1000+ charge had been attempted, and was it mine? Of course I said NO, and now I am awaiting a credit card replacement and having to go through all the aggravations that entails.

Here's my dilemma. I immediately emailed the tire vendor and included a copy of the attempt documentation from the credit card company but have heard nothing from them after 48 hours. I have seen some members on this site buy tires from this particular vendor. (They are not on our supporting vendor list) Do you think I should give their identity? It's only a 10 employee LLC with 11 million transaction history last year. This may be the doings of a solo employee, or just a mistake, but they should at least acknowledge the incident. I don't want to cast aspersions on an innocent company just because of one dishonest salesman.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming the charge is pending on the card, I’d give them some time to get it sorted out. They could very well have cancelled the transaction, and the charge will never clear.

just my opinion
The charge was cancelled as soon as I answered the query from my credit card company (Chase) "NO" it was not valid. From the standpoint of the vendor, the charge was almost immediately rejected by the credit card company.

Thanks for your comment. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The charge was cancelled as soon as I answered the query from my credit card company (Chase) "NO" it was not valid. From the standpoint of the vendor, the charge was almost immediately rejected by the credit card company.

Thanks for your comment. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
@MEHillwalker80

I'm not going to reply any further, regardless of your reply to this.... BUT...

It sounds to me like you do not know how things work so to speak..... You are not familiar with how pre authorization works and what exactly transpires when you type in your CC number and hit enter when at a vendors website. The vendor can cancel an order but cannot undo so to speak a pr-authorization .... that shows as a pending on your account for about 4 days if the purchase is not completed..

You contacted Chase and apparently spewed you think there was fraud... like you spewed here. Thus, Chase stopped all so to speak, and canceled that CC number, as they should have in a fraud case.

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MEHillwalker80

I'm not going to reply any further, regardless of your reply to this.... BUT...

It sounds to me like you do not know how things work so to speak..... You are not familiar with how pre authorization works and what exactly transpires when you type in your CC number and hit enter when at a vendors website. The vendor can cancel an order but cannot undo so to speak a pr-authorization .... that shows as a pending on your account for about 4 days if the purchase is not completed..

You contacted Chase and apparently spewed you think there was fraud... like you spewed here. Thus, Chase stopped all so to speak, and canceled that CC number, as they should have in a fraud case.
Chase contacted me. Within an hour after the phone call. It never appeared on my account.
Sponsored