Creaking Doors...anyone?

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Probably right but I would much rather do this rather than replace and repaint doors.
Agree but there is a theory that it can be opened up and sealed or insulated appropriately
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Agree but there is a theory that it can be opened up and sealed or insulated appropriately
Unfortunately it is still an unproven theory...sadly. It would seem a better adhesive is all thatā€™s needed during the build process....

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Welcome all new members to the #creaksqaud

now having been part of this club for over a year, and having our bravest members @NPE102414 tackle this like a true warrior, and took the door apart like no ones business.....he tried to save us all from this creak/click annoying ness

guys Iā€™m here to tell you, he did his best. And what we learned along this journey was.......

JUST LEAVE IT!

It wonā€™t do any other harm, only time I think about it anymore is when this thread pops up

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I came across this thread while looking for other jeepers with a creaking noise in their doors. Mine does not do what I saw in the first video (noise during open/close.) I am curious though, does this sound persist as a continuous creak while driving? I seem to have a nearly constant creak when any torque would be applied to the door. There is a thread regarding a similar noise inside the B-column, but I don't hear the creak while my doors are off.

Sponsored

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
It is not a continuous creak on mine, nor does it happen when driving. It only creaks when the door is being opened or closed.

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Mine just keeps getting louder lol. Iā€™m in and out of my Jeep a LOT though as a Realtor and I also off-road a lot. Passenger side door does it as well just not as loud.

My guess is the door checks (first time on the wrangler) put more pressure on the internal structure than Itā€™s adherence to the aluminum can handle. If thatā€™s the case, and it seems everything points to it, than new doors with same design as same owner is going to eventually have same result. Maybe theyā€™ll come up with a fix or something later. Until then Iā€™ll just occasionally whine about it on here. Haha. I started so many Jeep customer care cases on the 2018 JKU Golden Lemon I owned and finally traded in for my 2020 JLUR than I care to remember. Every time the dealership touched it it got worse. Customer care did try to take care of me etc.

On the JLUR so far I recently had the Steering Box TSB performed. Kinda wish I hadnā€™t. Feeling really strange. Maybe just more sensitive. I have been needing to add some caster so Iā€™ll see if that will remedy. But even with that service visit, which was one of the best Iā€™d had here, there was power steering fluid spilt all over the engine, and they performed an alignment on it (should have adjusted nothing but steering center if that was even off) but I can tell they messed up the toe. And their alignment machine has had a ā€œbroken printerā€ for YEARS. So you canā€™t even get a dang alignment print off. So Iā€™ll be having a local alignment shop reset it when I go in to have the caster improvement numbers checked.

I love my Jeep, but I sure wish I felt like I was driving and owning a $60k vehicle, since thatā€™s what mine stickered at lol.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
As the newest member (bought a 2018 about 2 months ago), I am feeling both upset and privileged to be part of the gang! I think the fact that we had warmer weather in Calgary brought this to light ...

Few questions for the long term members ... I read through the entire thread to become acquainted, but had a few questions:

1) Mine makes the noise during opening and closing. Did most people have it stay at this stage or does it inevitably get worse?

2) Now that I have it, does removing/attaching the doors make it worse or the same?

3) For those in colder climates, does the sound go away when temps consistently stay below 50F?

4) While I hope the answer is no, has anyone heard of someone having an accident on one of the doors? If so, was the protection compromised in any way? This would get Stellantis (this issue is so old, the company has changed names) moving as insurance companies would get involved.

5) Finally, did the problem progress beyond noise for anyone? Any sagging, distortion or any more serious issues occur?

I will bring beer, as the newbie, for our next meeting. šŸ˜€

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Welcome to the Jeep family and the "creaking door" club.

1) The good news is mine has basically stayed at it's original stage and over the past year has not gotten any noticeably worse. However, there may be a relationship to frequency of use as I just did a quick test and my drivers side front door creaks the most. My passenger front door barely creaks. The rear doors currently do not creak at all.

2) I remove and reinstall all four doors frequently and it has had no effect.

3) I live in a much warmer climate but have not noticed any change based on outside temperature.

4) No accidents.

5) It has never progressed to any other door issues beyond that annoying creaking noise.

Hopefully one day they'll come up with a fix. But honestly, most of the time I don't even notice it. For me, the joy of Jeep ownership definitely outweighs this minor annoyance.

Enjoy your new ride!

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As the newest member (bought a 2018 about 2 months ago), I am feeling both upset and privileged to be part of the gang! I think the fact that we had warmer weather in Calgary brought this to light ...

Few questions for the long term members ... I read through the entire thread to become acquainted, but had a few questions:

1) Mine makes the noise during opening and closing. Did most people have it stay at this stage or does it inevitably get worse?

2) Now that I have it, does removing/attaching the doors make it worse or the same?

3) For those in colder climates, does the sound go away when temps consistently stay below 50F?

4) While I hope the answer is no, has anyone heard of someone having an accident on one of the doors? If so, was the protection compromised in any way? This would get Stellantis (this issue is so old, the company has changed names) moving as insurance companies would get involved.

5) Finally, did the problem progress beyond noise for anyone? Any sagging, distortion or any more serious issues occur?

I will bring beer, as the newbie, for our next meeting. šŸ˜€
Welcome lol.

In all honesty...I only remember it even does it when someone new joins and this thread pops up.

it hasnā€™t gotten worse. Pretty much the same.

one of our original members did everything as Iā€™m sure youā€™ve read (if you went through the whole thread as stated) and he couldnā€™t find a solution. He tried....heā€™s a mighty soldier of the #creaksquad

some days depending on weather it wonā€™t make the sound at all

youā€™ll eventually not even notice it. Most ppl never even realize.

best advise I can give on this. LEAVE IT ALONE
Thereā€™s no fix.
Welcome to the club....but more importantly, welcome to the Jeep fam! Just forget this quirk and enjoy the ride šŸ‘

donā€™t forget the beer next time! šŸ˜ƒ

Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I am unfortunately part of the club. Its only my driver door and when it rains or is damp in the air it barley makes any noise, also when cold it makes less noise. Loudest when its dry and warm, guess my Jeeps telling me to take the doors off more lol. It is frustrating but I really do love my Jeep besides that. I will have to just learn to live with the noise seeing as there is no fix and no way in hell I would let the dealer replace the door and repaint just for it to come back. I also guess if it annoys me enough I could push the door check in the door and cut the end off and it wouldn't make the noise anymore, or remove the door check all together but don't really feel like taking my door apart.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am unfortunately part of the club. Its only my driver door and when it rains or is damp in the air it barley makes any noise, also when cold it makes less noise. Loudest when its dry and warm, guess my Jeeps telling me to take the doors off more lol. It is frustrating but I really do love my Jeep besides that. I will have to just learn to live with the noise seeing as there is no fix and no way in hell I would let the dealer replace the door and repaint just for it to come back. I also guess if it annoys me enough I could push the door check in the door and cut the end off and it wouldn't make the noise anymore, or remove the door check all together but don't really feel like taking my door apart.
If you really wanted to ā€œget ridā€ of the door check...it actually resets into the cavity of the door when you take it off. So no need to take the door apart to get rid of the door check.

But take note that it is annoying to try and get the door check back out once it resets into the door. Itā€™s meant to do it...just a pain if you wanted to reattach it.

Few videos on it and even a thread in the forum if you do a quick search in here or Google.

Welcome to the club
You really wonā€™t even notice it anymore after a short while.

Last edited:

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
If you really wanted to ā€œget ridā€ of the door check...it actually resets into the cavity of the door when you take it off. So no need to take the door apart to get rid of the door check.

But take note that it is annoying to try and get the door check back out once it resets into the door. Itā€™s meant to do it...just a pain if you wanted to reattach it.

Few videos on it and even a thread in the forum if you do a quick search in here or Google.

Welcome to the club
I have never used the check mechanism on my jeep. As soon as i took delivery the doors came off (May of 2020) and when they went back on in early October, I did not reattach. I'm old school in my belief that the doors on a jeep are an accessory, much like air conditioning would be, and the geniuses at FCA have made removing and reattaching those silly door checks a more difficult task than they could have been. I believe as others have noted that the check mechanism is the root cause of the deattachment of the door shell. I do not have any creaking noise so far so I will update this thread as time goes on if I ever become a member of the click club.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque

Welcome to the club
Interesting, I haven't taken my doors off of it yet(sad I know lol). Yea im mostly used to it, ill just have to see how it is this summer. Most days I don't even notice, just some of the dry warm days it seems louder and annoys me.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Not much to contribute but mine do not creak at all. All 4, dead silent. Even close well for a Wrangler...

Doors off only 3x but carefully reinstalled and making sure pegs and receiving holes all were clear of any debris.
Sponsored