First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
All these discussions about when they will total it or not is really up to the insurance company. So, just because one company does something does not mean another one will do the same.
True story. I was hit by a tractor trailer rig in my Armada. Collision repair had it for 45 days while they replaced the frame and 1/2 the stuff in rear. Inside and out.

Felt funny driving it after repair it was never right.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
This might be a stretch financially, but I would take it to the dealer for repair, then ask how much they would give me for it as-is. Then take that plus the repair check and trade it in on a new one ;)

ltivarovsky

First Name
Leonid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
How is it not a total loss? And why would I ever drive that after repair?

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you're alright.

Hopefully, the frame especially is OK. If not, its hard to straighten them out, and generally the vehicle will never be the same.

Then of course there is the problem of matching the paint. Some colors are harder than others to match.

As for physical parts, w/the JL being so new, the after market replacement parts may not be there yet, so only OEM may be available.

One thing that really hurts in regards to any accident, no matter how small, your vehicle now has a black mark put upon its record, and thus it lowers its value. If you plan to drive it into the ground, then that's not that important, but if not, then it is. If the repair costs are equal to, or less than your deductible, then its better to not report it to your insurance at all and instead have it fixed yourself, or you do it.

OP
OP
Rudicon

Rudicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon - Unlimited JL - Ocean Blue!
They looked at the Jeep, should find out by the end of the week rather it's a total or repair.
If you have any more detailed pictures, Shoot me a PM and I might be able to give you a little advice! One thing for sure, research body shops and go with one that refuses to take short cuts and is known for top tier work. You are looking at quite a significant amount of damage. Do not settle for less than perfect repairs and accepting diminished value or having it totaled out with some compensation. Good luck!!

Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Glad you're alright.
One thing that really hurts in regards to any accident, no matter how small, your vehicle now has a black mark put upon its record, and thus it lowers its value.
Although, my wife's Infiniti had two major accidents and neither showed up on the report when we traded it in. Apparently not everyone reports accidents to Carfax, including Allstate.

As for matching the paint, the panels don't match out of the factory, so no sweat there.

FLFIGUY

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU RUBICON
The biggest problem will be the availability of parts from FCA. I was in a minor accident in my 2018 Sahara and waited almost 4 months for fender flares even with getting Jeep involved, multiple case managers... it was hell! Needless to say the Sahara is gone and the Rubicon is here.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
The way Insurance companies decided if a vehicle is totaled is to take the salvage value plus the cost to repair. If that adds up to more than the NADA used retail value the will total it. If not then they will repair it. They do whatever cost them the least amount.

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
My jeep is tarnished forever with "frame replacement" or "frame damage" on its car reports. Very unfortunate and hopefully will be able to get some form of compensation from diminished value but :-/ we shall see.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
My beautiful baby blue got wrecked this weekend by a careless driver without a license who came into my lane in the snow/ice. Supposedly he has insurance (not sure how without a license) but we are going thru my insurance at Geico.

First, the Jeep performed amazing on the impact. it was a hard hit and driver front and side airbags deployed and passenger airbag, thank god or the outcome would have been way different. We walked away with minor bruises basically.
Thank you for that Jeep!

Now the tough part, my jeep is less than a year old. How do I make sure they use OEM parts and the airbags are reinstalled safely etc.? I think they will repair it, I don't think it will be a totaled... I'm so saddened that my brand new jeep is now going to be a mess. The pics don't look that bad, but the front end is pushed in probably about 16" from where it's supposed to be.

Any thoughts about how to make sure they use OEM parts (not after market) etc.? I'm also worried about the color being off after repair etc.

Thanks!

IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_7236.JPG

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_7246.JPG
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you can get your Ocean Blue baby back to "like new" status. FYI... I urge you to get checked by a chiropractor. You may have some ligament damage, especially in your cervical spine, and you can NEVER restore that without proper care that is aimed at restoring normal function, motion and optimal biomechanics. I see too many patients 10-20 years after their accidents where all they did was medication. I don't want you having in "physical souvenirs" from this accident. Good luck! PM me if you want some more information.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Thanks for the advice on diminished value. I will look into it.
Yeah... it's called a "Diminished Value or Loss of Value" claim. I have seen instances where whenever they add in that claim to the repairs costs, it may push the whole thing to a total loss. But, keep in mind, YOU have to push for and initiate the diminished value claim. The insurance company is not just gonna offer it up to you. Also, if you have PIP or Med-pay coverage, use it. Get yourself checked out, primarily through a chiropractor. Nothing else can restore and heal the biomechanical changes and injuries that you may have sustained like chiropractic care. But, regardless, get check by someone.

K2500Z71

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
I know an NCC cruiser when I see one! Good to see a fellow Delawarian on the board.
Just noticed that too. I used to live not far from there but moved away 6 yrs ago

302lockedandloaded

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
I know an NCC cruiser when I see one! Good to see a fellow Delawarian on the board.
Yessir, I live in Middletown. That accident was in December at intersection of Porter and Wrangle Hill Rd in Bear. Still don't have the jeep back yet.