Sponsored

Crashed JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue - advice needed auto body repair

Rudicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon - Unlimited JL - Ocean Blue!
My beautiful baby blue got wrecked this weekend by a careless driver without a license who came into my lane in the snow/ice. Supposedly he has insurance (not sure how without a license) but we are going thru my insurance at Geico.

First, the Jeep performed amazing on the impact. it was a hard hit and driver front and side airbags deployed and passenger airbag, thank god or the outcome would have been way different. We walked away with minor bruises basically.
Thank you for that Jeep!

Now the tough part, my jeep is less than a year old. How do I make sure they use OEM parts and the airbags are reinstalled safely etc.? I think they will repair it, I don't think it will be a totaled... I'm so saddened that my brand new jeep is now going to be a mess. The pics don't look that bad, but the front end is pushed in probably about 16" from where it's supposed to be.

Any thoughts about how to make sure they use OEM parts (not after market) etc.? I'm also worried about the color being off after repair etc.

Thanks!

IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_7236.JPG

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_7246.JPG
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Insurance laws are State specific. It's up to each insurance company policy but I would make it a point to demand factory parts if they choose to make repairs over totaling. I don't think the insurance company will have much of a choice and have to use factory parts because not many aftermarket parts are available yet. I would also look into making a demand for deminished value because your JL will be worth less compared to one that has a clean CarFax. Looking at the pics and all the air bags deployed you might be totaled? In most States the insurance follows the car not the owner. It is possible the car is insured even though the driver lost their license. That's up to your insurance company to work out with his. Thankfully you and your passenger are safe and are not hurt more then you are. Good luck with this.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rudicon

There is a very good chance that your JLU is totaled. By the looks of it, it is.

These days, you see vehicles with such damage, deemed totaled..

Let us know.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm not sure if it's an industry standard or not, but when my Ram got hit (nearly new) Nationwide replaced everything with OEM parts. They didn't even try to use aftermarket. The adjuster to me that since it was less than a year old they weren't using anything but new stock parts. Not bone yard replacements, or aftermarket, but new OEM stuff. That was what he lead with, so I didn't even have to ask.
Again, not sure if that's an industry standard, or just that company. FWIW, it wasn't even my company, it was the at fault driver's company so they had no major incentive to go above and beyond for me. I would recommend simply asking for OEM parts.

As for the air bags, those will always be new, and installed per federal regulations.
As for the paint. You get final say on that. Don't sign off on the final repair until you're happy with the match. That said, body shops (you get to pick it BTW) are really good a matching paint now. Not near the issue it once was.
As for your Jeep as a whole. That looks pretty expensive to fix, especially with that many airbags deploying, but I can't imagine it's so expensive to result in a write off. If by some odd chance they do, buy the salvage title off them and part it out. You've got a lot of good parts that people will gladly snatch up. After you've scavenged everything you can, you take it to the scrap yard and sell it for scrap. I doubt it would come to that though.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm not sure if it's an industry standard or not, but when my Ram got hit (nearly new) Nationwide replaced everything with OEM parts. They didn't even try to use aftermarket. The adjuster to me that since it was less than a year old they weren't using anything but new stock parts. Not bone yard replacements, or aftermarket, but new OEM stuff. That was what he lead with, so I didn't even have to ask.
Again, not sure if that's an industry standard, or just that company. FWIW, it wasn't even my company, it was the at fault driver's company so they had no major incentive to go above and beyond for me. I would recommend simply asking for OEM parts.

As for the air bags, those will always be new, and installed per federal regulations.
As for the paint. You get final say on that. Don't sign off on the final repair until you're happy with the match. That said, body shops (you get to pick it BTW) are really good a matching paint now. Not near the issue it once was.
As for your Jeep as a whole. That looks pretty expensive to fix, especially with that many airbags deploying, but I can't imagine it's so expensive to result in a write off. If by some odd chance they do, buy the salvage title off them and part it out. You've got a lot of good parts that people will gladly snatch up. After you've scavenged everything you can, you take it to the scrap yard and sell it for scrap. I doubt it would come to that though.
My friend also was told this by his adjustor.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... I would also look into making a demand for deminished value because your JL will be worth less compared to one that has a clean CarFax.....
Great point. I did that on my Ram too. It was actually handled as a separate claim, and you MUST request it. This is not a pay out they'll volunteer.

PS, after reading the other two replies maybe I'm underestimating the cost of repair. If they do total it I want your rear doors. I know that sounds random, but I've got a project in mind and want stock rear doors to do it. And begin the circling of vultures.

1.jpg

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So first of all, glad you're all right.

Second, if you're getting her repaired, take it to the Jeep dealer's collision repair shop, they'll be using OEM parts, and using the proper paint.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Man, that's terrible. I'm happy to hear that the Jeep did its job and protected you. I'd push for it to be totaled and replaced

OP
OP
Rudicon

Rudicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Insurance laws are State specific. It's up to each insurance company policy but I would make it a point to demand factory parts if they choose to make repairs over totaling. I don't think the insurance company will have much of a choice and have to use factory parts because not many aftermarket parts are available yet. I would also look into making a demand for deminished value because your JL will be worth less compared to one that has a clean CarFax. Looking at the pics and all the air bags deployed you might be totaled? In most States the insurance follows the car not the owner. It is possible the car is insured even though the driver lost their license. That's up to your insurance company to work out with his. Thankfully you and your passenger are safe and are not hurt more then you are. Good luck with this.

OP
OP
Rudicon

Rudicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice on diminished value. I will look into it.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I forgot to mention in the first post. I LOVE seeing this. It may not mean much to most people when they see it, or more likely they don't even notice it at all. But, this tells me 1 very important thing. That seatbelt was fastened when the crash occurred. Great job on the passenger for wearing their seatbelt. I assume the driver side belt looks the same, you just can't see it from this angle. Well done.:clap:

good.jpg
Sponsored