Crash

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Does anyone know the approximate speed (rear impact) which would cause the JL’s seatbelt ratcheting system to fire and lock in place (smelled like a spent round)?
My 2 door JL was rear ended by a 7 passenger SUV, who did not apply her breaks, at all. The force pushed me into the trunk of the sedan in front of me. Both the driver who hit me and I were cited (careless driving), I’ll be contesting that citation.
I was just wondering if anyone with crash experience could answer some questions. For what it’s worth my airbags did not deploy despite front impact. Post crash airbag service light came
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
Does anyone know the approximate speed (rear impact) which would cause the JL’s seatbelt ratcheting system to fire and lock in place (smelled like a spent round)?
My 2 door JL was rear ended by a 7 passenger SUV, who did not apply her breaks, at all. The force pushed me into the trunk of the sedan in front of me. Both the driver who hit me and I were cited per FL statute (careless driving) I’ll be fighting that. I was just wondering if anyone with crash experience could answer some questions. Thanks
It Sounds like you’re doing ok? Say many thanks tonight as all accidents even minor can turn out disastrous. I hope you get the info you need!

OP
OP
Trauma Jeep

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
It Sounds like you’re doing ok? Say many thanks tonight as all accidents even minor can turn out disastrous. I hope you get the info you need!
Absolutely! It definitely could have ended up worse. The JL took the brunt of it.

OP
OP
Trauma Jeep

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
My 2 door JL was rear ended by a 7 passenger SUV, who did not apply her breaks, at all. The force pushed me into the trunk of the sedan in front of me. Both the driver who hit me and I were cited per FL statute (careless driving) I’ll be fighting that. I was just wondering if anyone with crash experience could answer some questions. Thanks View attachment 348445 View attachment 348444
How much damage has to be done to the frame or tub before it is deemed a total loss? The front has equal damage, I wasn’t able to get a picture as passing drivers almost ran me over. I’ll get some at collision center.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
My dad was a civil engineer and practiced Accident Reconstruction relating to litigation. You'll need someone like that to figure it out if you really want to know or are planning on a law suit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trauma Jeep

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I just want to estimate the speed she was traveling.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Jeep logs data too, doesn't it? If so, then one should be able to prove being hit whilst standing still.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Don't think there is an exact speed, depends on other variables also, where it contacts your vehicle and is sensed, mass of vehicle hitting you.
Were you stopped or moving? If you had been hurt you would of been qualified to treat yourself.
Back when I was one of the accident investigators on our department we didn't have all the equipment in the vehicles and tools to determine the pre and post impact data. Pretty much skid marks, vehicle damage and witness reports. Since no one appears to have been hurt I assume the police won't be doing a full investigation like they would for injury or death accident. If they aren't investigating you would have a problem getting any data from her vehicle.
Hope it is "cosmetic" damage that can be fixed and since both of you were cited don't know what your insurance company will pay for unless FL is a no fault state.
Good luck.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I just want to estimate the speed she was traveling.
Hey Noah, I'm both sorry for your situation and glad to hear it was only property damaged, not people. Perhaps nobody better than you, in your line of work can appreciate that.

In regards to extrapolating speed from seat belt tensioning my thoughts are that of an informed novice.

Here's the thing: your belts locking up may allow you to roughly deduce a minimal speed the vehicle behind you was traveling, but not a maximum one. Still more, in some locking systems it's force, not just speed that locks belts up: force being a product of speed and mass.

Standing outside the vehicle if I pull a belt out too fast (little mass, mostly speed) it may lock. They can be sensitive little buggers.

Good luck on all things related to this matter.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Nice read on EDR's - I remember reading an article in which said Jeeps have one. Trying to find that article, I bumped into the article linked to. Not sure how relevant this is still.

InsulinMan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen this happen a lot and I don't think there is much to fight, unfortunately. This is why I always have a pretty big gap in front of me. Even if the person rammed you and you flew and hit the person in front, it's still on you. Which is stupid.
Sponsored