Sponsored

Crappy 5 inch screen gone in all 2022 models?

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I find it funny that no one really seems to care about the mechanical aspects of a vehicle much these days as much as they do about the size of the screen and the tech widgets. Kinda sad actually.
Yep. I just got my very first Jeep/4WD vehicle and the only stuff I really cared about was the off road capabilities. I had zero interest in all the stuff that makes a Jeep similar to a Lexus. I'm amazed my Jeep has a screen at all, let alone pining for a 7-inch one.
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I really wish they had done this in 2020 as the thing is junk. It can't keep time and then randomly shuts off with a loud pop. As a bonus sometimes the presets are gone when you turn it back on.
It literally can't keep time! I don't care too much about tech, but a clock that has to be changed on a weekly basis or you will be late to appointments?! The 5 inch radio is pure garbage.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I find it funny that no one really seems to care about the mechanical aspects of a vehicle much these days as much as they do about the size of the screen and the tech widgets. Kinda sad actually.
Oh, I dunno. This thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...removed-from-the-front-diff-on-rubicon.82660/
about whether the front diff has a drain plug or not has generated nearly ten pages or replies so far.

So I don't think it's quite fair to say that "no one cares about the mechanical aspects."

Jeeps with spare tires mounted on the tailgate need a backup camera. No matter how sharp your vision or how flexible your neck - you can't see around corners. And bigger is better when it comes to screens.

Even my Yota with hand-crank windows has a big screen head unit with a backup camera now, since the original factory am/fm radio crapped out.

Screens are cheap, and cheap technology is gonna find its way into cars.

Hey you kids, get off my lawn! :-D

Deleted member 59498

I like the 8.4 think it is a great size. Some are getting a little too big and gaudy for my taste these days.

I replaced my 7 and it wasn't bad either just wanted to fill in that last bottom inch.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
So will the base Sport have a 7in screen with limited functionality, or will it have CarPlay and Android Auto out of the box?
Basically asking if the Technology Group is included, or still an option that needs to be added.
The answer is in the Ordering Guide...
Jeep Wrangler JL Crappy 5 inch screen gone in all 2022 models? 1637752091178

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I prefer a larger screen.

Unfortunately the crappy radios (all screen sizes), UConnect-4, and cheap back up cameras Jeep uses all SUCK.

The radios, head units, UConnect, Back up cameras and ESS system are the Achilles Heel for Jeep. Their QC Surveys will take a dive from the poor implamentation of technology.

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic

Unfortunately the crappy radios, UConnect4, and cheap back up cameras Jeep uses all SUCK.

The radios, head units, UConnect, Back up cameras and ESS system are the Achilles Heel for Jeep. Their QC Surveys will take a dive from the poor technology.
I also prefer a larger screen, but the JLUS came with the 5" and I'm not overly unhappy with it. That being said I'm not one of those "my phone is my life" kind of people. I've tried Android Auto and CarPlay and found both to be a bit annoying. I've heard of tons of people having problems with all of the UConnect 4 functionality. I do think the 5" is a bit old school, but it is nothing compared to the radio on the JK.

Deleted member 59498

Unfortunately the crappy radios (all screen sizes), UConnect-4, and cheap back up cameras Jeep uses all SUCK.

The radios, head units, UConnect, Back up cameras and ESS system are the Achilles Heel for Jeep. Their QC Surveys will take a dive from the poor implamentation of technology.

Interesting when I bought mine in 2020 the salesmen was all over the radio, said he wanted to make sure I was happy because the radio was where they always get dinged on surveys.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also prefer a larger screen, but the JLUS came with the 5" and I'm not overly unhappy with it. That being said I'm not one of those "my phone is my life" kind of people. I've tried Android Auto and CarPlay and found both to be a bit annoying. I've heard of tons of people having problems with all of the UConnect 4 functionality. I do think the 5" is a bit old school, but it is nothing compared to the radio on the JK.
I am not a techie either but I expect technology to work when I pay what Wranglers cost today. My last '15 JK Freedom Edition had a $35K MSRP, I paid $32K. My last '19JLR had a $50K MSRP and I paid $44K. My just ordered 2022 JLR has a $52K MSRP and the same crappy radio and Uconnect4. Granted my JK was not a Rubicon. But a JL 392 with XR is probably $80K and it has the same crapp radio, head unit, UConnect4, back-up cameras as any JLR or Sport with the 8.4" option. I take that back. The radio is not crappy when it actually works properly. It's good. Unfortunately I had 3 different head units and the problems still were not fixed.

When and "if" working properly the JL radio is a lot better than the dinosaur gear the JK had. Unfortunately gremlins will pop up after a couple of years. And Jeep service sucks as much as the head-units, UConnect4, and back-up cameras. The dealer had my JLR for over 30 days trying to figure it out. They never did.

Like I said, these Wranglers are getting expensive. To the point they can be cross shopped with most luxury brands based on price alone. At a certain point FCA/Stallantis needs to wake up and improve the dealer service experience. I expect Fu*k you service if I am paying Fu*k you prices. :LOL:

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

I replaced my 7 and it wasn't bad either just wanted to fill in that last bottom inch.
I'm sure she thanks you very much.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting when I bought mine in 2020 the salesmen was all over the radio, said he wanted to make sure I was happy because the radio was where they always get dinged on surveys.
Most negative scores for initial QC Surveys are from the Technology. This a common source of neg scores and can ding any brand. Usually it's because the tech is new and people are not used to it and how it works. In that case the QC might be OK but the brand still gets dinged because the users are not using it properly. In FCA and Jeep's case the technology and hardware is flawed. The QC and technology for their infotainment is actually poor.

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Like I said, these Wranglers are getting expensive. To the point they can be cross shopped with most luxury brands based on price alone. At a certain point FCA/Stallantis needs to wake up and up the dealer service experience. I expect Fu*k you service if I am paying Fu*k you prices. :LOL:
I think Jeep (and whomever their current owner is at the time) will start to give an eff once the next economic cycle hits. Economy's are cyclical and this cycle has been a little long in the tooth. Something eventually has to give.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Only guys with small screens say that.
you can tell how big of a screen a jeep has by the size of its shoes/tires.

i have the 5" radio. only issues is that it cannot keep time for some reason and it can be a little laggy when switching screens/functions. other than that ive had zero issues with it. the back up camera works fine. there are plenty worse out there, even with bigger screens.

with that being said, our 2022 Pacifica has Uconnect 5 with 10" screen(?). its amazing. ZERO lag. it has yet to have any issues of any kind (knock on wood). its impressive.

i was thinking of holding out for the refresh in hopes that U5 will transfer to the wranger. salesguy even told me it would in 2022.... fake news! but i gotta move now if i want to maximize what i can get for my sport. i was planning to get the front camera package, which adds a bunch of extra shit you HAVE to get (led lights, alpine). so now that its standard hopefully its cheaper? lol. i wont get my hopes too high.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I must be the only person that thinks the 7/8" screen is not good.

My VW Jetta base was less than 1/3 of the price and it's loaded compared to my JT and JL.

The screen is 1,000x better, more responsive, and it has apple carplay / android auto.

I actually like the 5" better since it's basic and straight forward.
Sponsored