Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Does anyone have an educated guess (or beyond) on the percentages of Wranglers that don't make it through their lives with merely one windshield?---

-- or for that matter the average number of windshields a Wrangler gets in its life?

I'm going to throw out a guess on the latter: statistically speaking, 1.35 windshields per Wrangler--but that could be as wildly off as it could be accurate.

Cheers.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My 15yo TJ had it's original windshield. My current Wranglers (2017 & 2019) also have their original windshields:like:

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I doubt there are any stats... only anecdotal experiences. My JK had it's original un-cracked windshield when I traded it at about 70000 miles, both TJs (97 & 98) had original windshields at 75000 and 115000 miles. My JL has no cracks at 5500 miles though it could crack today or never. On the other hand, I bought a 2000 XJ and it got cracked the first week I owned it. My wife's '18 Subaru CrossTrek is getting ready to have its 3rd windshield installed in about 55000 miles.

Here is an interesting chart from Safelite. But the absence of numbers under each label does not allow us to calculate anything. Obviously Wrangler being at number 4 with total production numbers way less that F150s, Chevy Silverados, etc. show that it is definitely one of the highest % replacement vehicles.

october-social-images-safelite10-25_top-100-list_infographic-1.png

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Thanks for that Safelite list Mark @00Sebby .

As you pointed out, without numbers, just an ordered list, we're left to a lot of extrapolation on our own. Clearly such a list would have to account for (and factor in) the fact that if a model of vehicle has more sold than another, that more windshields replaced on it isn't necessarily indicated of an inferiorly designed windshield but simply more rigs on the road invites more hours of the fleet's entire maintenance, etc.

I've never ever had a windshield replaced--one I should have but didn't and don't count because my wife scratched it when having lost a windshield wiper, the moving and bare wiper arm scratched it....

that is until my Wrangler--and I'm on my third. In fairness the first replacement I caused in the driveway, and the second was a result of the first replacement cracking under temperature change.

I think its sad if other rigs come close to the Wrangler that don't have its lack of front window slant.

Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
21k Miles on my 8 month old 2 Door Sport. Got my first chip at 20k. Sealed it to avoid spreading. NYC/NJ/CT area. Couldn't even tell you what hit it, as the mark appeared immediately after impact. Just like rolling with a soft top/doors off. Do your best to avoid any issues and enjoy the damn thing :)

Good luck!

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I have had 5 Wranglers over the past 15 years and have replaced only one tine on my 2015 JK. Took a stone on the bottom border and spread a single crack across the wiper area. well out of my line of sight so I drove it like that for over 2 years. My daughter has my 2010 JK and it still has the original glass.

Having said that I expect I will be joining the cracked club before the end of the day. :facepalm::headbang:

Choobys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
I tried to hold off as long as possible to replace my windshield. But i had to after my 4th crack. Worst part was that the crack was caused by the defroster. The warm air shocked the cold windshield. I'm just hoping the aftermarket prices go down soon. JL is still too new.
Sponsored