Cracked Windshield Club

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Now you all may think I'm crazy, but after reading about so many windshield's cracking AT NEW!!!

My idea is , when I pickup my NEW JLR, I'm going to DETORQUE the four windshield bolts, so the driving/turning/stopping/accelerating won't introduce NEW STRAINS/STRESS'S on the windshield glass--

Because of the new stress of multiple ambient temp. changes and the fact, that these JLs aren't test driven LOOSE and then everything retorqued (like we do for major suspension changes !

It may be wrong, but simple-worth a try !

Whatever

JIMBO
Good idea, but mine was some road debris. I may be wrong but I don’t think any have spontaneously cracked with no impact.
Sponsored

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Safelite can get it. You need to call them. Tell them you want the "acoustical glass" windshield for a 2018 Jeep Wrangker JLU. Cost is around $700-800.
I’ll probably do that and pay out of pocket. Not sure how it impacts insurance to do a replacement and since it’s only 2-3 hundred delta. Still frustrating though.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I’ll probably do that and pay out of pocket. Not sure how it impacts insurance to do a replacement and since it’s only 2-3 hundred delta. Still frustrating though.
If you have glass coverage it shouldn't affect your rates at all. Any glass company should be able to source them.

Sponsored

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
With Gieco I have a $50 glass deductable and they got me the correct genuine Mopar glass.

HRP

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon & 2018 JLUR
Took a stone at 300 miles on the new JLUR....on the first leg of a 3,000 mile trip. Was pretty deep and 1 mile late the first 1/2 inch crack started.
Safelight had given me a patch kit for my other 2012 Jeep and kept it in the new one. Stopped the car, cleaned the windshield, put on the clear plastic 2" round patch. Held up for the rest of the trip. Took it to Safelight soon as I got back, did a chip repair.....98% gone. I did not want to loose the windshield that came with the Jeep....the little Jeep in the bottom right side is still there.

When I bought my new 2012 Jeep, cracked the windshield in the first 1,000 miles. Jeep wanted $750 for the exact replacement window....said no and got a $150 windshield.....probably 2 or 3 others as well.
Want to try and keep this one......I like it.

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
20180222_152034.jpg

Got this one the second day I owned it. Because I'm in TN it cost me my deductible. Then, last week, this.......
20180329_155438.jpg

I have never had a windshield repaired before so didn't know what to expect other than to keep it from spreading. I was amazed to see the result. I couldn't find anything but a speck where it used to be and I had to look hard. My insurance waives the deductible on repairs so free. I just hope this isn't a trend every time I take a road trip. 2X club!

gameworn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Punkin
Occupation
Farmer
Iver joined it 3 times on my last Jeep that I had for 3 years.
Windshields are cheaper here in RI I guess, under $200 with the little jeep in the corner.

Sponsored

Appgirl96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2018 JLU
G
Mine made it two days and 151 miles before it got smacked. A forum member in South Dakota made it only four miles from the dealership before his was hit. That may be the record! Waiting two weeks for Safelite to get my new windshield is only half over. Hopefully, they receive one from MOPAR and they are able to keep next Tuesday’s appointment.
Hopefully you have better response than I did. Took Safelite a month to get mine in. Downside of having a brand new model. Got mine installed 2 days ago and hoping it last me a while!

Redwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JKU
G

Hopefully you have better response than I did. Took Safelite a month to get mine in. Downside of having a brand new model. Got mine installed 2 days ago and hoping it last me a while!
After two weeks, this afternoon they confirmed tomorrow’s appointment. Hopefully, tomorrow afternoon all will go well.

rafaelmcs

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
After 3 weeks with my JLU Sahara I was hit by a stone and immediately started open and stopped opening at about 25cm. I've replaced yesterday at Jeep Dealership and the cost for the OEM with tax/labor was $575,00 (CAD).

Redwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JKU
Safelite arrived this afternoon and replaced the windshield. First time with Safelite and am impressed with their business approach. Communication about dealing with my insurance company, difficulty getting OEM glass, appointment, and complete info on technician was excellent.

Wow, These things are expensive!

Retail - $675.00

Discounted price - $479.00
Labor - $106.40
Sales Tax - $38.06
Total - $623.46

Luckily I have zero deductible on my comprehensive coverage.

OP
OP
JL Rubi Khan

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got around to filing my windshield insurance claim last week, and Safelite contacted me Thursday (4/5) to let me know that they had to order the glass and it should take around 5-7 days. Will see if that ends up being true later this week.
Sponsored