Sponsored

Cracked JL Hardtop - worth fixing and selling?

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
With a spare set of Freedom Panels you could experiment with paint schemes, decals, accessories that involve drilling, etc. to play with the Jeep's appearance and/or function--and be able to go back to normal for parking "stealthy" in your employer's lot during the week... :)

You could also experiment with supplemental weatherstripping to cut down wind noise from leaks--and let the rest of us know the results. Having a "virgin" pair of panels allows you to go back to baseline over and over again to compare the effects of your modifications.

Good Luck with the replacement!

MH
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Just LOVE the attitude. It's your problem and you're trying to put YOUR problem onto someone else to solve. Disgusting. :puke:
I see your point Eric but that wasn't my read. I was thinking along the lines of the reality that rigs, or parts of rigs get damaged and that's life. Junk/Salvage yards buy these parts at pennies on the dollar, and then sell then for quarters on the dollar to guys like me who collect a few of these damaged hard tops, albeit damaged in different places, at far, far less than cost for me than buying one new, and attempt projects like the immortal (in the Wrangler world) J. Sherb's modularization of a hard top as per the above link.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

I kind of got the impression that the OP, in making this somebody else's problem would have paid his way for this service by either paying someone to take the item off his hands, or accept pennies on the dollar of its original worth for doing so--market forces being what they are--for this service.

I might be wrong, in which case I support your sentiments.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I see your point Eric but that wasn't my read. I was thinking along the lines of the reality that rigs, or parts of rigs get damaged and that's life. Junk/Salvage yards buy these parts at pennies on the dollar, and then sell then for quarters on the dollar to guys like me who collect a few of these damaged hard tops, albeit damaged in different places, at far, far less than cost for me than buying one new, and attempt projects like the immortal (in the Wrangler world) J. Sherb's modularization of a hard top as per the above link.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

I kind of got the impression that the OP, in making this somebody else's problem would have paid his way for this service by either paying someone to take the item off his hands, or accept pennies on the dollar of its original worth for doing so--market forces being what they are--for this service.

I might be wrong, in which case I support your sentiments.
Well I may have been a bit cranky since it was pre-coffee. But your point is well taken :like:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm surprise that the insurance company did not take the damage top away after paying or replacing the top. either way like other have mentioned, salvage what you can and ditch the rest. then sell off what you got for cheap since its pocket change for you. the question would be, how long you have to sit on them.

Gippeyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 F350, 2006 Wrangler Unlimited, 1972 Corvette
I don't think the insurance company lets you keep the hardtop and freedom panels that will be replaced. The insurance company will get salvage value for the top and panels. They will let you keep the top and panels but will deduct the salvage value. That is my experience with insurance companies.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Typically, yes that's how it works. You can keep any/all salvage parts, but the salvage value it generally deducted from your check. That isn't always the case though. I've seen smaller items get "ignored". For example the wheel/tire on my Ram. The insurance covered the repairs and replacement of everything damaged by someone who backed into my truck. The insurance/body shop scrapped all the take off parts except the rim/tire which was left on my truck because I was going to use the money for aftermarket replacement. They gave me the full MSRP of a factory rim and new tire and I drove away with it still on the truck. After replacing the rims and tires I sold the old set, with the damaged rim. This was all discussed with the agent, and verified that they were okay with it before I did it, so nothing shady or overlooked.
All that to say, I think it depends on the part and its value whether they scrap it or let you keep it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
At a minimum the freedom panels and the glass are worth salvaging. Glad you got a new top through insurance! I'd be heartbroken to walk out and find a huge tree limb sitting on top of my new Jeep!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i had aftermarket tires and rims on my 07 grand cherokee and the agent question about them. but they looked the other way and treated them as stock. another agent (different time) bitched about the bull bar and said that they were not paying the labor in removing it to fix the bumper. they told me the labor cost will come out of my pocket. my body shop guy took care of it since the agent was an @$$hole.

so in some cases agent will over look things and have you take care of it or they can be a PITA and make sure you hands doesnt touch it once the check is cut.

in the hard top case. it works out that you can salvage and sell off for some extra cash.
Sponsored