Sponsored

Cracked JL Hardtop - worth fixing and selling?

DRJHawk2000

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara 4 Door
Had a tree fall on my 2018 JL Sahara 4 door in June. Finally getting my new replacement hard top in about a week from Jeep through insurance.

My question is, is it worth keeping the old hardtop and repairing it? Does anyone buy repaired hardtops and what do they go for.

Pics attached.

IMG_20190621_111710.jpg

IMG_20190621_155439.jpg

IMG_20190621_155520.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
DRJHawk2000

DRJHawk2000

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara 4 Door
I would venture to say no it isn't worth it.
Thanks. I should at least be able to salvage the Freedom panels, but if the rest is junk I'd rather it be someone else's problem to dispose of.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks. I should at least be able to salvage the Freedom panels, but if the rest is junk I'd rather it be someone else's problem to dispose of.
True I think I'd keep the panels. Since most people remove them more often then the entire top, someone may be in need of a replacement in the future:like:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'd replace it but I wouldn't throw it out. It's worth something to someone. Try craigslist.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

id get an estimate from a fiberglass shop. then make a call. you can get a nice used top for about 3grand or less. so its any where close to that i'd say pitch it

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Probably not worth fixing to sell. I assume it would cost more to fix than you'll sell it for. I'd either sell it as it is or part it out.
I know you could sell the rear glass, and I'd actually like to find a set of Freedom panels free/cheap to do a project with. If you'll ship them to me I'll cover the cost. :fingerscrossed:
Not sure if my idea will work, so I don't want to spend a lot on it. I've been watching for salvage but no luck so far..

Bossrubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur, 1950 m38
I agree that the hardware and glass would be worth saving. I remember someone on the forum looking for the back glass a while back.
Does anyone know what the tops are constructed from? It is not any fiberglass I am familiar with. My cj7's hard top was as heavy as boat hull. These feel like foam on an rc plane.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Rear glass is $1,000+ and that is if you can get one to buy, it's easy to remove/install just be careful with the heating element connectors.

Remove all the hardware from the hard top, like the arms and wiring, little things are hard to buy and are expensive, not sure if it's worth fixing the hard top.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I believe that it would be easier and more profitable %$ to part it out?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Also comes down to your ability to store it. There will be something to sell, even without fixing it, but it could take a while. Parting it out helps you get the easy stuff out, but the shell is big and heavy. Also, fixing it requires that you take it there and back.

I’d say the glass, props and any wiring are keepers. The rest is disposable

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
There you go. It seems like parting it out is the way to go. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove, but you could probably sell the hardtop headliner too if you can remove it.
And since parting it out was my idea, you should hook me up with those panels. ;)

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Just LOVE the attitude. It's your problem and you're trying to put YOUR problem onto someone else to solve. Disgusting. :puke:
Sponsored