jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
While the hardtop is hanging from its hoist I have to pull pretty close in order to close the garage door. I stupidly got too close and while my door opened fine, it somehow just caught the edge of the hardtop when I closed it.
The corner of the hardtop is cracked almost all the way through.
Does anyone know if there's an adhesive I could inject in there? Or should I get to a body shop? I'd like a decent-looking repair.

hardtop.jpg
Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
This should be a pretty DIY easy fix that's invisible once complete.

Use a quality 2-part epoxy to fill the crack. Pry the crack open some, add the mixed epoxy, then push the cracked piece back into place. As the epoxy is pushed out of the crack you can wipe it away with a shop cloth soaked with isopropyl rubbing alcohol (preferably 91%). Use some blue masking tape to hold the piece in place while the epoxy cures, or just hold it by hand as it should cure in 15-20 minutes. Give it at least a few more hours to set, then sand/scrape away any residual epoxy with a ~200 grit sandpaper and/or a razor blade. After that, you'll be able to touch-up the area with some Mopar Hard Top Touch-Up Paint.

If you want to make it extra strong you can epoxy some fiberglass cloth over the crack on the inside.

OP
OP
jmcdtucson

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I followed ChimpanZed's advice and it worked out great. You can still see the crack a bit and I'm sure a body shop could get it smoother, but it's fine for me.

IMG_20191029_165722.jpg
IMG_20191029_170430.jpg
IMG_20191030_070900.jpg

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Awesome! With a little sanding and paint, that line should disappear entirely.
Sponsored