CR attempts to understand the Jeep thing

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Consumer Reports has historically been tough on the Jeep brand, especially so when it comes to the Wrangler. The testers and reviewers have never been able to successfully tap into why, with all of the well documented problems, the Wrangler consistently hits sales records year over year, No need to go into how biased they are towards the imports etc., it's just notable that they acknowedge the loyalty buyers continually have for their beloved brand. Tesla owners are mentioned as falling into the same catagory.

The Jeep Wrangler, for example, has below-average reliability in our most recent Annual Auto Surveys. In our tests, weā€™ve found that it has a stiff, uncomfortable ride and isnā€™t very agile. Owners are equally dissatisfied with those qualities in other Jeep models. Yet they tell us time and again that they love the Jeep ā€œexperienceā€ so much that they would buy the Wrangler (and some other Jeeps) againā€”even if they have to put up with the headaches and shortcomings.

full article:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ion/owners-love-these-cars-despite-the-flaws/

CR's incredulousness aside, why do we put up with what they cite as "headaches and shortcomings"?
For me, it's simple - I wanted a sporty fun to drive 2 door with a stick and fold back top that I can drive on the beach. And I have exactly that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Interestingā€¦. I was thinking back to the last time I took CR into consideration when I purchased anything.

Oh waitā€¦. NEVER.

Itā€™s basically because of your very last comment. Not that I wanted one to drive on the beachā€¦..

Basic point: You were looking to buy and you knew why.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I would take any "magazine" review with a huge grain of salt. They used to be more reliable decades ago, but now all these review publications have been bought and resold over the years and you never know who owns what magazine anymore. It's all about follow the money. If the media owner hates American cars, then guess what the magazine reviews will reflect? Even Kelly Blue Book, that everyone uses for pricing information since time began, was bought out by Autotrader.com, Cox Automotive Group, and now even has a Chinese partner. That's why YouTube video reviews are more compelling to me, because I can see through the BS more easily.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
CR used to do logical comparison testing on everyday items, that made them a good resource. Like televisions, refrigerators, cordless drills, etc. That's what made them a good resource, as you had no real way to get a comparison to find what might be the best for you and your budget.

But now, everyone and their brother do this on youtube, and probably even more real world simulation than CR in their lab.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I always love that CR is so rough on Jeep and it baffles them that they sell in such huge numbers. They are right when you compare the Wrangler to other vehiclesā€¦itā€™s rough, loud, not very sporty, has questionable handling and not a great reliability history but when you drive it, you have a great big smile on your face. Jeep is a lifestyle brand and it delivers on everything it promises.

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Interestingā€¦. I was thinking back to the last time I took CR into consideration when I purchased anything.

Oh waitā€¦. NEVER.

Itā€™s basically because of your very last comment. Not that I wanted one to drive on the beachā€¦..

Basic point: You were looking to buy and you knew why.

CR is BS anyway. I worked for a consumer electronics manufacturer; CR arrived to test some products. Fine, there is the product, there is the lab. Have fun.. Got a terrible report. Next year they show up. We took them to lunch, set everything up in the lab. Smoozed til we puked. Got glowing reviews. Many of the units tested were the actual pieces they tested the year before.

CR rates how well they get assed kissed. Not much more.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I put up with Wrangler shortcomings and annoyances (all vehicles have em') because when it comes right down to it, Jeep has been doing the small(ish) footprint, solid axle person + gear focused (vs large truck) 4x4 exploration vehicle for long enough they've got it down. I can purchase a JL Rubicon and have, without spending a single dime on capability mods, a vehicle that is going to go pretty much anywhere on the planet as far as vehicle based exploration travel is concerned. Rock Crawling can be done if a person wants to equip the Jeep for that.

Bottom line is they made the thing that does what I want to do, with enough refinements to be a daily, better than anyone else.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They are unable to comprehend some things. Iā€™ve always found their rating to be lacking, even in the days before the internet. They have always had a bias towards to boringly practical. Just like Car and Driver has a bias towards German cars.

Admittedly, Jeeps have a lower reliability rating than many of the more practical brands. However, a certain part of that is that many get beat on and then the owner insists on a warranty fix or the new owner is coming from a luxury brand and is underwhelmed.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Someone should balance out their ignorance and review cars as if roads don't exist.

An automobile with a 6 figure price tag but a little bit of sand and it's useless. What are we paying for??? Bentleys are a complete ripoff. Worst car ever made.
Jeep Wrangler JL CR attempts to understand the Jeep thing 1629731750778

Volkswagen used to make cars that float. Now they can't even do that. This manufacturer is somehow managing to produce worse cars every year. How many people will have to drown before these unsafe vehicles are banned?
Jeep Wrangler JL CR attempts to understand the Jeep thing 1629731884289

The Toyota Corolla. Can't even handle a small ledge. It's completely inconceivable that someone would even think of owning one. This car will break down the moment you drive it anywhere.
Jeep Wrangler JL CR attempts to understand the Jeep thing 1629732092869

Why these manufacturers are allowed to make such incapable unsafe vehicles is beyond our comprehension. There is only one safe vehicle to drive that will actually get you anywhere, and that's the Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL CR attempts to understand the Jeep thing 1629732247992

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
CR is an appliance rating organization. They have not a clue how to evaluate an automobile. No surprise that the people who swear by their opinions are also appliances.

Personally, if CR hates the Jeep I see that as the highest possible rating.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
CR is an appliance rating organization. They have not a clue how to evaluate an automobile. No surprise that the people who swear by their opinions are also appliances.

Personally, if CR hates the Jeep I see that as the highest possible rating.
Yeah, they use one ruler to measure everything. They treat everything like an appliance. They have no idea that anyone would ever use a vehicle as anything other than an appliance. So their reviews are essentially worthless for everyone who doesn't treat vehicles as an appliance.

They don't bother to evaluate each vehicle based on the target demographic and expected use because they have no one on staff who bothers to look at vehicles from a different perspective.

And their reliability reports are based on predictions derived from an opinion poll sent to their subscribers. It's difficult to come up with a more biased sample set for statistical analysis. Not only do you have a limited breadth of people (CR subscribers are not a representative sample set of the general population), there is also a bias in reporting results. People who expect a brand to have low reliability will be extra critical and report more on average. People who expect a brand to have higher reliability will overlook problems because they don't want to be the person who brings down the reliability score. So the biased group submits biased reports. And that makes their rating worthless. It may be right. It may be wrong. There's really no way to know.

Case in point, the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. It was the same car with the same drivetrain, same chassis, same body, just some trim differences. But the first few years it came out, the Pontiac got a lower predicted reliability score than the Toyota. On the SAME F-ING VEHICLE.

If I'm buying an appliance, I'd consult CR on everything but reliability ratings. For everything else, they're worthless.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Why CR should not be reviewing wranglers:
1. There is no competition for Wrangler, so
..bad MPG ? ok, but compared to what?
..bad road manners? ok, but compared to what?
..too much wind noise? ok, but compared to what?

2. Every single one of their pros is an off road trait, and every single one of their cons is a result of their 'pros'.

Exhibit A:

Jeep Wrangler JL CR attempts to understand the Jeep thing 1629736680572

The invention of the Bronco might mean they have something to compare to, but the above is what they have been saying for decades.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I don't understand why CR continues to overlay, and evaluate, the Jeep brand with passenger car attributes. Seems they want Wrangler to be a minivan or crossover SUV to please the masses.

Do they not understand that the Wrangler is designed, and built, with a specific purpose in mind?

They have never groked that particular design ethic.
Sponsored

Last edited: