Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The issue with the CP4 is that poor lubrication can cause it to eventually grenade which in turn wipes out the fuel system. Repairs have been said to cost $8,000 and up.

Two things can cause this poor lubrication: air and ULSD fuel. Air gets in when a lift pump in the tank is not used as in the case of the older Duramax trucks. You can't expect the Bosch injection pump to pull enough fuel AND deliver it. Ford and Ram apparently use in-tank lift pumps, so they haven't had as many problems...but they do still have problems. The other issue is ULSD fuel, which we can't avoid anymore because the EPA has required it. The CP4 wasn't designed to handle the lack of natural lube in the fuel.

Based upon what I've read, the key is to never allow your tank to go below 1/4, and to use a quality supplement like Hot Shots EDT treatment. Keep the fuel filter changed per the book. If you see the water in fuel light come on, PULL OVER and fix the issue immediately. If you do these things, you're unlikely to have the issue for quite a long time with the EcoDiesel.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Yes, all the ecodiesels used that pump. However, injector pump failure on them seems to be minimal for whatever reason compared to Powerstrokes and the Duramaxes.

Heck Cummins even adopted it in 2019. Which is why I didn't get a 2019 Ram 2500. (that and i still cant get the dial a gear in a diesel on a 2500 WTF Ram!?)

I suspect its because these smaller engines have a much lighter demand on the pump. Pressures are similar, but the volume needed is half or less that of a 6.7 powerstroke.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
unfortunately, S&S claims they don't make a kit like that for the J**p EcoDiesel yet.
Does anyone know of anyone who makes a kit that will fit the J**p dieselā€™s?

my pump self-destructed with barely 4100 miles on it and took out the entire fuel system.
it's been a month already and i'm still waiting for the parts to repair it.

They make this kit now to save the engines in case of a catastrophic fuel pump failure! Its a bypass system.
https://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-ss-diesel-motorsport-s-cp42-bypass-kit/

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i should update,..

i waited 2.5 months to get mine back, but itā€™s been good for the last 9K miles now (so far!).

last part to be received was the Fuel Pump/Sender Module.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I have about 6 bottles of Stanadyne left over from my Chevy diesel truck. I guess I will start using it in this Jeep too.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
iā€™ve taken to dumping in about a half-bottle of the Mopar stuff (to avoid warranty challenges) any time i use fuel that doesnā€™t have a percentage of BioDiesel in it.

I have about 6 bottles of Stanadyne left over from my Chevy diesel truck. I guess I will start using it in this Jeep too.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
iā€™ve taken to dumping in about a half-bottle of the Mopar stuff (to avoid warranty challenges) any time i use fuel that doesnā€™t have a percentage of BioDiesel in it.
Do you think running different diesel grades affected your pump? Seems like B20 is more and more common by me (in SoCal) and wondering if itā€™s OK to use or should I search for D2. Thanks

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
no.
there have been so many of these pumps fail n North Amerika that i think i just got a bad one that suffered infant mortality.

BioDiesel actually has more lubricity than the ULSD mandated here now, so by some reports it might actually be better for our EcoDiesels.
since our Users Manual allows up to B20 (with only the requirement that we do our oil changes at shorter intervals because of BioD's higher solvency) i'm fine with it.
the unknown (in my book) is the new kid on the block; Renewable Diesel. allegedly chemically similar to #2, the jury's out on whether it has the lubricity to make up for what's been lost in ULSD.

note that the failure rate of these CP4 pumps doesn't seem to be reportedly as high anywhere in the world that they don't use the 'dry' ULSD that's the norm in the USofA now.

Do you think running different diesel grades affected your pump? Seems like B20 is more and more common by me (in SoCal) and wondering if itā€™s OK to use or should I search for D2. Thanks

Last edited:

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko