First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
That's outstanding and I checked out that thread. But then the control box is tougher to protect from elements which is part of the reason I want to make sure whatever winch I get is "coverable".

Question: Is the control box accessible enough to plug in the controller hardwired if you needed it.

Regards,

--StingGreyNJ
I can appreciate that, I wasn’t concerned where it was for my use case. I don’t plan on going good deep in water, though it’s not much lower than on the winch. And I think it’s a little more out of the elements tucked off the side like that.
This is the current spot, screwed to a metal hose clamp that’s tightened around the frame horn.
Jeep Wrangler JL Coverable winch in OEM Steel Bumper 9604412F-D043-45E4-8909-778EB6F4C549
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to keep in mind about winch covers is, just like BBQ and outdoor central air unit covers, they should be removed after rain storms to let everything dry out. If not, the cover causes the greenhouse affect which can trap condensation around the winch. That could potentially keep the winch wet for a longer period of time than an uncovered one.

Hockeydude

First Name
Cyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, Camry, Mustang GT
I did not have to trim the handle because I removed the bolt in the steel bumper that was in it's way using a black plastic plug. I used the warn plate as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coverable winch in OEM Steel Bumper 9604412F-D043-45E4-8909-778EB6F4C549

Hey Rico, I'm new to jeeps and had a few questions about the Badlands12k. I wanted to get one for my Gladiator, but never installed a winch on anything. What was needed to put in oem Rubicon steel bumper (winch plate type or any fabrication)? I can't find anything on Badlands and factory steel bumper, didn't realize when I bought option that I would need to get a plate. I thought it would be a plug and play thing for $1000. Thanks. I'm in RI so I'm sure I'll see you driving around.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Hey Rico, I'm new to jeeps and had a few questions about the Badlands12k. I wanted to get one for my Gladiator, but never installed a winch on anything. What was needed to put in oem Rubicon steel bumper (winch plate type or any fabrication)? I can't find anything on Badlands and factory steel bumper, didn't realize when I bought option that I would need to get a plate. I thought it would be a plug and play thing for $1000. Thanks. I'm in RI so I'm sure I'll see you driving around.
HEY Cyle, Yeah you need a winch plate for any winch you decide on FCA sells you the winch ready bumper but not ready! I went with the warn one and also Spacers (Poison spider makes spacers for the winch to sit just a tad higher which I also used. another tidbit was when you install the fairlead you will need longer acorn bolts. I'm not sure the size it was a few years ago but there is a thread of a bunch of us getting the badland at a really good price and then we all compared notes on the forum about our installs...so type into google JL Badland you'll get a ton of vids and posts on JLforum scan the posts there was a lot of good info. Congratz on the new ride!! Shout out or pm if you have any issues...You should be good ..If I can install one, any body can!
link
https://shop.poisonspyder.com/Zeon-Winch-Spacer-Plates-p/45-57-010-03.htm
a few pics when I installed..

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

OP
OP
stingGreyNJ

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
I went with smittybilt x02 gen 3 10k winch in oem steel bumper and warn winch plate. Its a fairly small body (and 12k same size). Not expensive for a full featured unit. And from a reputable company that would hopefully stand by their warranty.

warn winch cover fits over it without too much struggle.
Sponsored