First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
If FCA had a half a brain they would negotiate with Mahindra and license these to be built here in the US with a standard CJ grill. Win win situation.
Sponsored

EcoLogicalFox

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebraveroad.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara; 2008 JK 2dr 2"lift, 1961 Willys Wagon Super Hurricane
Occupation
Digital Media Executive
From the way ive seen them marketed their competition would more likely be a Polaris. So yeah, agreed, categorically different in every way except cosmetic. What Mahindra ought to do is bring that pickup to US spec. I drove one of those in CentrAm, its a tough torquey 2.0T diesel, until the bed rusted out in 2yrs. Ha. Great farm equipment.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Fiat Chrysler wins Jeep trade case against Mahindra

tlcbister+Roxor.jpg

June 12, 2020

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles won its bid for an order to block U.S. imports of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.’s Roxor off-road vehicle and components that it said copies the look of its iconic Jeep Wrangler.
And the new Jimny looks like a G class and the new Defender looks like this 2014 Kia...
Kia-Soul-2014.jpg

Live and let live

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
It's alright guys. I realize some people look at freedom differently. I have no problems with that.
It's called theft. Someone else puts forth all the cash for the research, development, testing, die development, etc. then a scum company uses all that information and starts stamping out replicas. Sure they can build it cheaper because they don't need to recover the development costs. Do that too often and soon enough you have nobody developing anything.

FWA05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on my Rubicon
Stumbled across this thread today, its perfect timing. I saw one of these yesterday in West Houston and couldn't figure out what it was. I have a 2020 Rubicon unlimited with the EcoDiesel and the Roxor was a diesel. He had a traditional diesel exhaust that spit out black smoke and you could smell the exhaust. Made me really appreciate mine, especially after I ran off and left him.

Mmaengine

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
would you mind sharing how you went about importing your Roxor and what it cost?
Jeep Wrangler JL Court finds Mahindra Roxor is a copy of the Jeep Kia-Soul-2014

It's a total jeep and I love it! Some parts cross fit on my CJ and it's street legal. I get the jeep wave and people asking me if its a CJ-7. The diesel rocks. Grab one while you can.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It's called theft. Someone else puts forth all the cash for the research, development, testing, die development, etc. then a scum company uses all that information and starts stamping out replicas. Sure they can build it cheaper because they don't need to recover the development costs. Do that too often and soon enough you have nobody developing anything.
Except that Mahindra purchased the rights to produce CJs since 1947. So that doesn't really apply to this situation. https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-mahindra-can-build-tiny-jeeps-1823472625 When you pay for the rights to produce a product, then you should be able to make and sell it. The first ones were even sold under the Willys name.

Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL

It's a total jeep and I love it! Some parts cross fit on my CJ and it's street legal. I get the jeep wave and people asking me if its a CJ-7. The diesel rocks. Grab one while you can.
Interesting, I didn't know it was street certified. Being an old-Old jeep owner of several CJ 5 and 7's it drew my interest. Yes FCA needs to protect their interest. Almost bought a Defender 90 a few years back, to expensive, their newer version being manufactured is in the realm of a JL Rubicon. But I would opt for the Rubicon any day if going off road.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Interesting, I didn't know it was street certified. Being an old-Old jeep owner of several CJ 5 and 7's it drew my interest. Yes FCA needs to protect their interest. Almost bought a Defender 90 a few years back, to expensive, their newer version being manufactured is in the realm of a JL Rubicon. But I would opt for the Rubicon any day if going off road.
It's legality is up to the state. Some states allow SXS to be legally driven on the streets. I know AZ does.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Actually it does! When you pay for the regional right you only have right to sell that product ONLY in that region - and in this case - India. Please refer to post #52 and the subsequent one after that (in reference to Willy's being sold under the name Thar)

And you are quoting from Jalopnik which extremely bias and pro Mahindra to a point that Mahindra actually uses Jalopnik as their sounding platform!

We also discuss how the court did not agree to their argument about Willy's are no longer in production as a form of differentiation because the design of Jeep has not change that much from Willy's.

Call it protectionism but that is how it is!
In 2009 Chrysler Auto Group, the precursor to FCA agreed that Mahindra could import the Thar so long as it didn't use the seven slat grill. On top of that the license that Mahindra holds is for a no compete. So a non-road legal Roxor would have to be found as being in competition to the Wrangler. This is not a case of some Indian company copying an American product. This is an American company who sold their rights, and now regrets it.
Sponsored