Sponsored

Couple Noob questions. Please be gentle.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
As others have already said, it's normal for both the oil pressure to fluctuate and the t-case lever is as stiff as a ministers dick when new.

I'm also a proud 2.0 turbo owner. These turbos are liquid cooled with antifreeze which is very efficient in helping the center bearing shed heat. They are still lubricated with engine oil, so it's still advisable to avoid coming in hot and heavy and immediately shutting it down. Turbos that rely on the same lubricating oil to also shed bearing heat are what really need a few minutes of idling before shutdown. Oil isn't as efficient as a coolant, so it takes longer. Also, oil flow stops with the engine, so the oil trapped in the turbos bearing housing will "coke". This means that the liquid part of the oil sizzles off and leaves carbon deposits along with any heavy metals and other contaminants that were suspended. This abrasive builds up over time and leads to premature wear and failure of the center bearing and impeller shaft.
Jeep Wrangler JL Couple Noob questions. Please be gentle. giphy (1)

Oooooo I never knewwwwww!!! Thanks for the info Master Shifu. From now on I will lollygag in my garage for a few minutes after coming in from a hot day.

You are the best!!

MIKE!!!! WTF!!!! THAT IS WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! :CWL: And you know I ain't talking about them lotions! :facepalm:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Couple Noob questions. Please be gentle. giphy (1)

Oooooo I never knewwwwww!!! Thanks for the info Master Shifu. From now on I will lollygag in my garage for a few minutes after coming in from a hot day.

You are the best!!

MIKE!!!! WTF!!!! THAT IS WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! :CWL: And you know I ain't talking about them lotions! :facepalm:
You don't even have to wait a few minutes. Just as long as you don't shutdown immediately after driving fast and making power.
Jeep Wrangler JL Couple Noob questions. Please be gentle. tumblr_b65fb17de3832102878687d9eb482098_372b0782_500

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Here’s how the owners manual addresses shifting into and out if 4LO, for reference:
So it took until page 3 for a complete and correct description to appear - straight from the manual - on how to shift into 4L - in a Jeep - on a Jeep forum. Crazy.

I myself have to confess I finally recently learned how to engage the rear lockers in 4H. It also involved carefully reading the manual.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So it took until page 3 for a complete and correct description to appear - straight from the manual - on how to shift into 4L - in a Jeep - on a Jeep forum. Crazy.

I myself have to confess I finally recently learned how to engage the rear lockers in 4H. It also involved carefully reading the manual.
In fairness to all the posts prior to that, they aren’t wrong. Many who are in this forum have decades of practical experience and knowledge of Jeeps. The type of things that you learn by doing it hands on rather than reading what the manufacturer says in the manual. Both types of information have their place.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
In fairness to all the posts prior to that, they aren’t wrong. Many who are in this forum have decades of practical experience and knowledge of Jeeps. The type of things that you learn by doing it hands on rather than reading what the manufacturer says in the manual. Both types of information have their place.
All the prior posts were much appreciated.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki

Most people come to the forum to get advice from experienced Jeepers. Many do their reading and research first.

There is a lot of value in learning from the personal experiences of people who have owned 2 or 3 Jeeps.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
2) Trying to shift through 2H, 4H and 4L. Is there trick? My dealer said it takes some muscle, but damn. I was never able to get it in 4L. And had a hell of time just getting it back in 2H.
I thought I was going to bend something or break it.
Just checking back in here 18 months later to let y'all know my Hydro shifts between the modes smoothly and easily.

I didn't have my Hella long enough to need the 4WD, but I feel the Hydro shifts much easier, but I also feel 90% of it is technique, aka just learning how to do it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Confession: I've had my Sahara for 10 months, driven over 15K miles, and gotten 4 BoH and have yet to shift into 4L. TBH, I'm kind of scared to try, lol.

On the plus side, I'm still kind of astonished at the level of terrain/obstacles I've been able to handle in 4H. Can't imagine what would necessitate 4L.

Blu_Rubicon87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Millwright
As others have already said, it's normal for both the oil pressure to fluctuate and the t-case lever is as stiff as a ministers dick when new.

I'm also a proud 2.0 turbo owner. These turbos are liquid cooled with antifreeze which is very efficient in helping the center bearing shed heat. They are still lubricated with engine oil, so it's still advisable to avoid coming in hot and heavy and immediately shutting it down. Turbos that rely on the same lubricating oil to also shed bearing heat are what really need a few minutes of idling before shutdown. Oil isn't as efficient as a coolant, so it takes longer. Also, oil flow stops with the engine, so the oil trapped in the turbos bearing housing will "coke". This means that the liquid part of the oil sizzles off and leaves carbon deposits along with any heavy metals and other contaminants that were suspended. This abrasive builds up over time and leads to premature wear and failure of the center bearing and impeller shaft.
That's why alot of turbo charged vehicles have a turbo timer to run the engine at idle after you exit the vehicle to help return oil ot pan, then shuts down as normal.
Sponsored