Sponsored

Couple Noob questions. Please be gentle.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
2.0, Auto

1) Oil pressure. This is the first vehicle I've had where I can see real-time oil pressure. It runs 19 most of the time, but sometimes climbs to 40+. Is that normal?

2) Trying to shift through 2H, 4H and 4L. Is there trick? My dealer said it takes some muscle, but damn. I was never able to get it in 4L. And had a hell of time just getting it back in 2H.
I thought I was going to bend something or break it.

3) Cool down. With the turbo, is it advisable to idle for a bit before shutdown after a long drive?
Sponsored

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
1. I can't speak to the numbers, but it is normal to see increased oil pressure, especially as the RPMs increase.
2. These shifters are notoriously difficult to shift when new. Many people here advise running through the shifter each time you start it, until it loosens up. For 4lo, remember you need to be stopped and the transmission in N to shift in or out.
3. Can't help you here, I've never owned a turbo anything. Sorry.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
2.0, Auto

1) Oil pressure. This is the first vehicle I've had where I can see real-time oil pressure. It runs 19 most of the time, but sometimes climbs to 40+. Is that normal?

2) Trying to shift through 2H, 4H and 4L. Is there trick? My dealer said it takes some muscle, but damn. I was never able to get it in 4L. And had a hell of time just getting it back in 2H.

3) Cool down. With the turbo, is it advisable to idle for a bit before shutdown after a long drive?
For #2, review your manual. Shifting a transfer case is not as easy-peasy as a transmission. You need to be moving within specific speed ranges and/or your transmission may need to be in neutral.

#3, no you dont need to worry about that.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new Jeep.
It is normal for the oil pressure to fluctuate - increases with RPMs until it bypasses
The transfer case will be very stiff until you get it broken in. Remember transmission in neutral and and slowly rolling to shift from 2H to 4L. The more you use it, the easier it will get.
I've never idled to cool a turbo with previous cars. If you are hooning it up, then drive normally for a few minutes before getting to your destination to let it cool off some.

Was that gentle enough? 😘

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
2.0, Auto

The 2.0 does run low oil pressure (18-19 psi) at idle, and under boost will creep to 40+ as you mentioned.

2H-4H is best done while rolling, foot off the gas, under 5mph or so. To get 4L, you can do it while stopped. Put the auto trans in N, then shift the transfer case down to 4L. Also, remember it's not a straight shot down; 2H-4H is, then you get Neutral on the transfer case, and have to go over to the right and down to grab 4L. When you need to come out of 4L, push forward and towards the right a bit, that'll get you to N, then, up into 4H-2H.

As previously mentioned, if you're driving "spiritedly" (lots of WOT blasts, but why bother in a brick with wheels?), best bet is to spend the last few miles cruising along sanely before arriving at your destination.

Enjoy your new Jeep!

Sponsored

Punk'nVulpine

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Occupation
Motion Graphic Artist
I picked up a 2018 2.0 turbo myself a few months back. A few things I have learned that answer your questions.

#1 - My oil pressure does that as well when I accelerate hard or am on a trail. It does not fluctuate when I am just cruising on the highway.

#2 - Yep. Same. LOL. It took me a while to get used to that. I found that if you are moving forward between 10 and 20-mph the shift from 2H to 4H is easy but does take a bit of muscle. I verified doing this with my dealer, who told me this was the optimal way going from 2H to 4H.

Going from 4H to N or 4L. Put the transmission shifter into N so the Jeep can roll. You can then shift easier but it is still a bit of a chore until you get used to it/broken in.

#3 - I do. Not long; perhaps 30-seconds. This is my 2nd turbo car and I was always told to do it, so I do. If you are pushing the engine hard, then yes yes yes. But for everyday road use, a small wait should be enough.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The vehicle should be moving 2-3 mph when shifting from 4HI - N - 4LO or back the other way, not stationary. Until it’s broken in this shift is incredibly tough and notchy. You’ll feel like it doesn’t want to go into or out of 4LO. It gets better in time.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
@The Fixer mentioned this but it’s worth repeating because it probably explains why you couldn’t get into 4L. You don’t go straight down; there’s a jog to the right when going from 4H to N to 4L. Also, yes, you should be rolling slowly (2-3 mph).

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@The Fixer mentioned this but it’s worth repeating because it probably explains why you couldn’t get into 4L. You don’t go straight down; there’s a jog to the right when going from 4H to N to 4L. Also, yes, you should be rolling slowly (2-3 mph).
I was pushing to the right, I could get it in Neutral just not into 4L. But I think I had it in park or in D.
I'll fool around with it more tonite.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I was pushing to the right, I could get it in Neutral just not into 4L. But I think I had it in park or in D.
I'll fool around with it more tonite.
Yeah, you'll have a real hard time if you're in P or D. But once you do it a couple times it'll become second nature. I think it's a combination of the transfer case breaking in and the driver breaking in.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the members here are really cool people. Don't be afraid to ask noob questions.

Oh yeah... Don't call your Jeep a car. That is one of the few things that sets them off.
Yeah I don't ever think I'll do that.

And yeah, so far I've been very happy to see how supportive everyone is and as I gain knowledge and experience I hope to provide the same back.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
As others have already said, it's normal for both the oil pressure to fluctuate and the t-case lever is as stiff as a ministers dick when new.

I'm also a proud 2.0 turbo owner. These turbos are liquid cooled with antifreeze which is very efficient in helping the center bearing shed heat. They are still lubricated with engine oil, so it's still advisable to avoid coming in hot and heavy and immediately shutting it down. Turbos that rely on the same lubricating oil to also shed bearing heat are what really need a few minutes of idling before shutdown. Oil isn't as efficient as a coolant, so it takes longer. Also, oil flow stops with the engine, so the oil trapped in the turbos bearing housing will "coke". This means that the liquid part of the oil sizzles off and leaves carbon deposits along with any heavy metals and other contaminants that were suspended. This abrasive builds up over time and leads to premature wear and failure of the center bearing and impeller shaft.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@LuvYella,

The reason you need to be moving slightly is to allow the teeth of the drive shaft to mesh with the gear in the transfer case. Standing still, these may not be aligned and engagement is not possible. When moving at slow speed < 3 mph, (in neutral, not under power) the gears have a better chance to mesh and the shift into 4Lo will be much easier.

From 2Hi to 4Hi the transfer case is using the same gear ratios so the drivetrain is already meshed. That's why it's much easier to shift in and out of 4Hi at higher speeds.

4Lo requires the change to the lower gearing. Don't attempt to go into 4Lo above 3 mph or you can grind the gears and shave off the teeth.

Hope this helps.
Jay
Sponsored