Sponsored

Countdown to silly, pointless lights on the Wrangler?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
There was a lot to like about the Ford Raptor when I bought mine four years ago, but I had to look hard to find one without all the silly “look at me!!” vinyl graphics. The truck also came with three useless, pointless, amber marker lights across the front. They do nothing of value, but they were unavoidable. Then Dodge/Ram came out with a less sporty truck that copied Ford’s goofy little amber lights, except Dodge put them inside the hood scoop for some reason. Now the Goober-lights are showing up on Tacomas, 4-runners, and Silverados. People even pay for aftermarket lighting kits to copy this look! Once again, I don’t get it.

Will the new Wranglers be equipped with Goober-lights that don’t illuminate anything? Another $500 option?
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
There was a lot to like about the Ford Raptor when I bought mine four years ago, but I had to look hard to find one without all the silly “look at me!!” vinyl graphics. The truck also came with three useless, pointless, amber marker lights across the front. They do nothing of value, but they were unavoidable. Then Dodge/Ram came out with a less sporty truck that copied Ford’s goofy little amber lights, except Dodge put them inside the hood scoop for some reason. Now the Goober-lights are showing up on Tacomas, 4-runners, and Silverados. People even pay for aftermarket lighting kits to copy this look! Once again, I don’t get it.

Will the new Wranglers be equipped with Goober-lights that don’t illuminate anything? Another $500 option?
People are already paying money to install aftermarket versions, they aren't for me but who am I to judge how people customize what they financed. I'm sure there will be a new craze by the time the body refresh comes and we'll be 50/50 on liking it or not.

GladiSD

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' AEV 392 JL370, 08' S2000 CR, 08' S2000, 99' SV
Occupation
Sure...

Those lights are government mandated on the Raptor, TRX, and Bronco Raptor due to their width. They could not sell them without them. On Toyota’s, they’re just trying to imitate the look…like most Toyota owners do with everything.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired

Those 3 amber lights are federally mandated, due to the width of the vehicle. Anything over 80" wide fall into the commercial vehicle category.

As to why they make vehicles larger, is to get around federal mandates for gas mileage, but that is another story.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Ok, so your silly, pointless lights on the Raptor, and now the RAM TRX are required by the US Department of Transportation due to the overall width of the vehicle. DOT regs state that any vehicle over 80" wide has to have a minimum of 3 amber marker lights visible from the front of the vehicle. Most commercial vehicles have them mounted on the roof of the cab. Similarly, most dually pickups had them in the same spot. Ford (with the Raptor) and now RAM (with the TRX) chose to be different and put them in the grille and hood vents. Still compliant, but in a different way.

Your Raptor ownership privileges are now suspended. Please surrender your Raptor to the nearest interested party.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Those lights are government mandated on the Raptor, TRX, and Bronco Raptor due to their width. They could not sell them without them. On Toyota’s, they’re just trying to imitate the look…like most Toyota owners do with everything.
Anything over 80 inches wide...three amber front and three red rear identification lamps spaced between 6 and 12 inches apart at the center of the front and rear of the vehicle, as high as practicable. I don't know how the grilles are considered as high as practicable though. I've never cared to find one of those in the wild, do they have the rear lights?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Anything over 80 inches wide...three amber front and three red rear identification lamps spaced between 6 and 12 inches apart at the center of the front and rear of the vehicle, as high as practicable. I don't know how the grilles are considered as high as practicable though. I've never cared to find one of those in the wild, do they have the rear lights?
Yes, the 3rd brake light housing is quadruple the width in order to housing the 3 red rear facing id lights along with a functional brake light. The side view mirrors also have an amber front facing and red rear facing side marker lights, which are part of the same government reg as the 3 center id lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Countdown to silly, pointless lights on the Wrangler? 2022-ford-bronco-raptor-18-1642802952
Jeep Wrangler JL Countdown to silly, pointless lights on the Wrangler? 2022-ford-bronco-raptor-rear-view-carbuzz-945971

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

The amber lighting in the front is a DOT deal with the manufactures. The going width on the Raptor, TRX etc. from the manufactures have to have these marking lights to note the extra width being over 80 inches. this is to allow on coming traffic to note that the vehicle coming at them in wider than normal and may be taking up more room. Its very intelligent as its most seem on 1 ton pickups, box trucks, and semi trucks. There is reasoning behind it. Now for the tacomas and the runners those are added for looks only after the purchase of the vehicle.

"If you make a vehicle that’s over 80 inches wide, it starts to fall into various “commercial vehicle” categories, and one of the requirements of vehicles this size is that they have — in the words of our government — “three amber front and three red rear identification lamps spaced between 6 and 12 inches apart at the ."

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Okay, guys. Thanks for the education. I should have known this.

It makes perfect government sense -- a light pattern that's designed to communicate what one person in 1500 will be able to interpret. Sheesh.

The amber Raptor lights aren't noticeable in the sunlight. At night they're not visible to oncoming traffic at any useful distance because they're overwhelmed by the crazy-bright LED headlights. By the time you can distinguish the amber lights it's too late to do anything with the information -- and what, exactly, is the motoring public supposed to DO with the information? Give oncoming traffic a wider berth to accommodate the extra few inches?

Maybe burying the lights in the hood scoop is a better strategy. Or not.

If there ever was any value to this law it's rapidly being diminished by the trendy new look being replicated on vehicles of every dimension. The few people in Oregon who actually know what the lights mean will be giving all the little Tacomas wearing them plenty of room -- at least at dawn and dusk when the lights are visible.

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, the 3rd brake light housing is quadruple the width in order to housing the 3 red rear facing id lights along with a functional brake light. The side view mirrors also have an amber front facing and red rear facing side marker lights, which are part of the same government reg as the 3 center id lights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Countdown to silly, pointless lights on the Wrangler? 2022-ford-bronco-raptor-rear-view-carbuzz-945971
I gotta say, that Bronco looks like an average Walmart shopper from the rear.

... yes, I shop there too -- that's how I know the look.

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
At night they're not visible to oncoming traffic at any useful distance because they're overwhelmed by the crazy-bright LED headlights. By the time you can distinguish the amber lights it's too late to do anything with the information --
in all fairness, if you want to be critical of bright blinding headlights, look no further than this community for equal if not greater offenders. lol.

As a side rant, blinding bright headlights from Teslas, to Jeeps, to lifted vehicles is becoming a serious problem for my aging eyes. (I'm only in my mid 30's btw).
It's gotten so bad that I've tinted my front windshield just to help reduce the burning glare. I've even began contemplating driving with sunglasses on at night.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
in all fairness, if you want to be critical of bright blinding headlights, look no further than this community for equal if not greater offenders.

I've even began contemplating driving with sunglasses on at night.
+1 on some JL owners being culpable in the too-bright headlight category.

As for eyewear after dark, Cory has your back.

Sponsored