Could not get my new Jeep to Drive in Drive

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So I took my New Jeep with 30 miles on it for a quick drive yesterday. Just outside my neighborhood I was driving and saw a very nice water bottle on side of road. I stopped, put car in park, hopped out and grabbed water bottle, got back in Jeep and put it in drive and nothing, car would only rev like it was in neutral. I was mostly blocking road (dirt road with light traffic). Two cars were coming toward me and stopped because I was mostly blocking road. Embarrassing.

I was in semi panic trying to get it in drive and move forward. I checked my door and it might have been ajar, opened and closed, but still no luck. I put car in park, turned it off and on and put it in drive, still acted like it was in Neutral when in drive. Finally I tried reverse and that worked allowing me to get out of the way.

I was thinking I would have to go in reverse the half mile back home. I then tried drive and it worked.

In my panic I did not look at the dash for messages for a clue as to what was happening.

I then drove to a parking lot and tried to recreate issue. It seemed to have something to do with the door ajar triggering it. I saw a message about Auto Park that said put car and park then drive. Did that and it worked but this did not work when I was in middle of the road.

I wonder why I had so much trouble getting it in drive? Is there a problem or is there some kind of safety feature that was kicking in? Not sure what Auto Park is. Also, while recreating this issue I got a message when I was in drive trying to move forward that the car was not in park???

User Error or Wrangler error?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You didn’t have your seat belt on, did you?

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You didn’t have your seat belt on, did you?
Could be. I was trying to get it in Drive and move out of the way in a hurry. Probably had door ajar plus belt off. I will test this. I think the key would have been for me to look at the display messages.

I did a Google search, it sounds like lots of new Wrangler owners have same issue.

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
Probably an open door

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Cappy

RTFM

Along with learning about "auto park", that you just experienced .... DO also be sure to read/learn about "To Reset Manual Park Release"..

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Could be. I was trying to get it in Drive and move out of the way in a hurry. Probably had door ajar plus belt off. I will test this. I think the key would have been for me to look at the display messages.

I did a Google search, it sounds like lots of new Wrangler owners have same issue.
It isn't an "issue" per se, any more than not shifting out of Park with the engine shut off is an issue. You were just doing it wrong, no big deal.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Did some more testing. Door ajar vehicle goes into park when in drive. When I was stuck on the road it seemed more like I was in neutral when in drive but I was on flat road so hard to tell.

When I close door properly and leave seat belt offI can drive when I put it in drive.

I think the software got confused or something. I can't recreate what happened on the road exactly. Then, the only way I was able to get drive working was to go in reverse a short distance, then put it in drive and drive worked.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Did some more testing. Door ajar vehicle goes into park when in drive. When I was stuck on the road it seemed more like I was in neutral when in drive but I was on flat road so hard to tell.

When I close door properly and leave seat belt offI can drive when I put it in drive.

I think the software got confused or something. I can't recreate what happened on the road exactly. Then, the only way I was able to get drive working was to go in reverse a short distance, then put it in drive and drive worked.
But in your post you did say you checked the doors.
Also when auto-park is engaged, your shifter lights (P) should be blinking.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@Cappy

Naaah, it was you that got confused.... and you aren't the first one to be confused, caught off guard and such by "Auto Park" . By your comments, I still have my doubts you have the gist of auto park.

Just know, if you have your / the driver's seat belt unhooked and you open the driver's door while the vehicle is moving slowly, the vehicle will stop abruptly... go into auto park. You will see the P start blinking and the Evic warning.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
@Cappy

Naaah, it was you that got confused.... and you aren't the first one to be confused, caught off guard and such by "Auto Park" . By your comments, I still have my doubts you have the gist of auto park.

Just know, if you have your / the driver's seat belt unhooked and you open the driver's door while the vehicle is moving slowly, the vehicle will stop abruptly... go into auto park. You will see the P start blinking and the Evic warning.
Perhaps, maybe. :)
Sponsored