Sponsored

Could I install Control Arms with no impact?

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
If I just installed an 8 piece control arm kit, could I do it with no impact to alignment or ride quality?
Only when starting to add springs and shocks does anything change, correct?

I know it seems an odd question, but I am thinking to do a lift just slowly over the course of some time.
Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Changing from stock control arms to aftermarket adjustable length control arms, that are adjusted to stock length, would not affect alignment, or anything else for that matter. If you get aftermarket control arms that are fixed length, such as the Teraflex Sport lower control arms, they are longer than stock and will increase castor.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If I just installed an 8 piece control arm kit, could I do it with no impact to alignment or ride quality?

I know it seems an odd question, but I am thinking to do a lift just slowly over the course of some time.
Yes, just do one arm at a time and match the length center to center of connecting bolts to the stock arms. Then when you lift it you’ll dial in the arms to center your wheels in the wheel well, set pinion angle, and dial in your caster.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304

To address the impact question, Yes it can be done. Be prepared with 1/2 breaker bar to loosen the nut side. Bolt side makes it a bit more challenging,

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
To address the impact question, Yes it can be done. Be prepared with 1/2 breaker bar to loosen the nut side. Bolt side makes it a bit more challenging,
If you read the sentence that you quoted he was asking if he can add the control kit with "no impact to alignment or ride quality?" He wasn't asking if he could add the kit without an impact tool...

The answer is if the control arm kit can be adjusted to minic the stock settings yes you can add it before doing the rest of the lift... with no impact to alignment or ride quality...

Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
If you read the sentence that you quoted he was asking if he can add the control kit with "no impact to alignment or ride quality?" He wasn't asking if he could add the kit without an impact tool...

The answer is if the control arm kit can be adjusted to minic the stock settings yes you can add it before doing the rest of the lift... with no impact to alignment or ride quality...

Long frigg'n week. Thanks for the correction

OP
OP
engineXI

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
thanks for yall's response. I'm just dipping my toe in and will likely go with the Clayton control arms.
Sponsored