Sponsored

Could a State Ban Your JL because of Mods?

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Hopefully they're not shocked when they get tickets while driving in states like Utah.
We're regularly hearing from customers that they got pulled over in Oregon because of "X". That's because Idaho has laws that are on the books, not enforced, and people run roughshod. Oregon doesn't feel the same way, so wheels hanging way out of wheel wells, window tint, improper lighting, etc., all end up with a short stay on the side of the road and a little written reminder of your trip to Oregon with some regularity.

Same thing with speed limits. 80 mph rural interstate limits over here has resulted in people traveling at triple digit speeds and the State Patrol enforcement is spotty as heck. Oregon doesn't play that game, has a 65 mph limit, and they don't mean 10 over is okay. They ticket at 70. Washington used to be that way, don't know how they are anymore, but I have friends that retired from the State Patrol over there, and are now deputies for a couple different counties. I know what THEY'RE like, and I don't hold out much hope for your chances if you cross them on the side of the road. Just saying that mouthy doesn't work with long term law enforcement folks. 30 year veterans of verbal abuse don't have a sense of humor.
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Hopefully they're not shocked when they get tickets while driving in states like Utah.
a state cannot impose its safety/emission laws onto a registered out of stet vehicle traveling within the state

Example in CO the lift laws are very lax, and in MA are pretty strict. But if you take a lifted jeep that is full registered in CO and complies with CO laws but no MA laws you are allowed to drive it around MA all you want and you shouldn't be issues a ticket. A MA cop could pull you over and write up a ticket, but will be thrown out immediately in court if challenged.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We're regularly hearing from customers that they got pulled over in Oregon because of "X". That's because Idaho has laws that are on the books, not enforced, and people run roughshod. Oregon doesn't feel the same way, so wheels hanging way out of wheel wells, window tint, improper lighting, etc., all end up with a short stay on the side of the road and a little written reminder of your trip to Oregon with some regularity.
Are the customers in question residents of Idaho, or Oregon? Your post suggests the former. I ask precisely because of what Sheepjeep mentions in the preceding post.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Are the customers in question residents of Idaho, or Oregon? Your post suggests the former.
Yep. Idaho residents with mods outside the limits of Oregon law. But, if they checked, they're probably outside of Idaho law also, and the Oregon police seem to know that.

Window tint is a common issue. Idaho hardly enforces, but front three windows must allow more than 35% light in, rear side windows 20%, rear window more than 35%. Oregon doesn't allow that dark, and their law is written so that you can't operate a vehicle in the state if you're in violation. Doesn't matter if it's legal in your state, if you operate in Oregon, you have to abide by their laws on many things. Washington used to be the same way, their way, their roads, their laws, doesn't matter if you're from somewhere else.

The key to traveling out of state with modified vehicles is simply to check what's legal in other states, and if they enforce the rules on vehicles registered out of state and traveling. Some states will enforce their laws on anyone operating on their roads. Some states won't. BUT, it's up to each state to regulate how they see fit. There is no federal standard that makes it so that a state has to honor a lax statute from another state. There are some good legal sites online that show you what each state's laws are, and if they are unilaterally enforced, or not enforced on out of state vehicles. Don't think for a minute that you have a free pass nationwide just because you passed an inspection in your state.

This is a pretty wide open state for mods. There are some jurisdictions that enforce more tightly, but it's a bit of wild West out here.

In Washington, mudflaps are required on anything that has the top of the axle visible below the bottom of the bumper. They use it to pull vehicles over if they want to check them out for another reason, FYI. Part of trooper training is "how do I get that vehicle on the side of the road" and then the trooper has to name the ways. Mudflaps is simply one way. Most modified vehicles violate some statute, rest assured the troopers know most of them.

The thing is, don't tick them off, and they'll leave you alone. Most of the issues are caused by people being jagoffs and then acting like kids throwing a tantrum when they get brought up short. Don't do stupid stuff, don't have a public youtube channel on all the crap you're getting away with all the time, don't blow smoke all over your local pedestrians (this is what is killing a certain Colorado diesel tuner, MAJOR federal legal issues), don't drive your lifted vehicles all over someone's personal property, don't piss off the police. In short, don't draw attention to the fact that you're driving over the speed limit, violating federal emissions laws, etc. by looking like a circus act going down the road, and people leave you alone and you can wheel all over the place! If you get caught doing something outside of the bounds, take your lumps and figure a way to remain more anonymous.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This thread serves as a good reference for what states don't care for visiting money spent in their local businesses. Chasing pennies while the dollars are flying elsewhere.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

a state cannot impose its safety/emission laws onto a registered out of stet vehicle traveling within the state

Example in CO the lift laws are very lax, and in MA are pretty strict. But if you take a lifted jeep that is full registered in CO and complies with CO laws but no MA laws you are allowed to drive it around MA all you want and you shouldn't be issues a ticket. A MA cop could pull you over and write up a ticket, but will be thrown out immediately in court if challenged.
I'm not sure that that makes sense. I have to follow the lows of the state that I'm travelling through. If I'm pulling a 5 thousand pound trailer without brakes through a state that requires those brakes then I'll possibly get a (completely valid) ticket.

It seems very similar to open carry laws. You can't simply claim that your state of residence allows it, therefore it's legal for you where you go.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
ok my take away here is, prince valium was took lazy to look up is state's DOT laws or knows them and doesnt care, gets caught and punished by the state saying take that the POS off our roads unless you fix it. he then does a half assed job fixing it and doesnt meet the requirements, so the states like ok you are off the road. At least he points our all the areas he fucked up on but acts as if he is the victim.
Not to mention the clickbait video title screen of "They're taking my Jeep...". They are NOT taking his Jeep, only suspending his registration to drive it on the roads.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Not to mention the clickbait video title screen of "They're taking my Jeep...".

They are NOT taking his Jeep, only suspending his registration to drive it on the roads.
Mm. Such is the reputation of YouTube these days that I view most videos from unfamiliar "channels" as time-wasting clickbait, until they absolve themselves of the accusation. Many never do. Others, can't.

The current trend regarding screen shot composition, with the intent of directing traffic their way, isn't doing their cause any favors, either. Mouth held agape, backwards-facing ballcaps (an automatic IQ reducer), provocative video titles, etc...all of this serves to make separating the wheat from the chaff that much easier.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Other than looking lame as hell and not factoring any physical dangers posed by increased bumper height (if any), I simply don't understand how guys with an extreme 'Carolina Squat' can safely see the road in front of them, which shouldn't be an issue with most guys lifting their Jeep properly.

I generally have at least a mild appreciation of the various car culture scenes, even the goofy shit (lowriders, extreme cant/stance, etc), and for the most part, I really don't want to see further legislation placing restrictions on consumers modifying their vehicles how they please, but I do understand how an *extreme* modification such as this can be considered a safety issue for both the driver and others on the road around him. I mean sure, you can bolt your fucking seats in backwards and use a mirror and accessibility controls to drive. Should something asinine like that be allowed on the streets as well?

And not all examples of the lean/squat are done to the point of posing a hazard, but many of them are. Guess it would be nice to allow some things to be done within reason, while restricting anyone that does so to the point of being a danger to others.

Jeep Wrangler JL Could a State Ban Your JL because of Mods? Image1

Jeep Wrangler JL Could a State Ban Your JL because of Mods? Image2

Jeep Wrangler JL Could a State Ban Your JL because of Mods? Image3

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The State's concerns on things like bumper height, tint, tires sticking out, etc are legitimate. Gov has to have at least a rational basis for them. Otherwise someone would/should have knocked them out as unconstitutional a while ago

Raised bumper: impact is now in a less sturdy spot on the vehicle it colides into

Tires sticking out: throw more debris on following vehicles

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Those bans are against Kei class vehicles and small delivery vans that were never federalized or imported here when new by the manufacturer.
Point is, they were legally imported, registered, driven for years.
Until, one Unfine Day, they were told, Park and Rot.
That , to me, is a Test Case of States power to ban certain classes of vehicles, no explanations given.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I am only familiar with the Vehicle laws in AZ. So how our Licensed Wranglers in AZ, applies when driving through other states..well I am not really sure. But I do know that several from AZ with legal drivers side window tint (legal in AZ) have been given citations in Calif, because it doesn't meet their law standard.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm not sure that that makes sense. I have to follow the lows of the state that I'm travelling through. If I'm pulling a 5 thousand pound trailer without brakes through a state that requires those brakes then I'll possibly get a (completely valid) ticket.

It seems very similar to open carry laws. You can't simply claim that your state of residence allows it, therefore it's legal for you where you go.
Vehicle registration and vehicle laws you have to follow in your state can not (or not supposed to be) ticketed in another state because their laws and rules are more struck for vehicles registered there. Example: my state (Mississippi) does not require mudflats. But Utah does. Federal interstate compact laws state Utah is not supposed to write me a ticket for that because I’m not registered in Utah. Doesn’t mean they won’t. But a phone call to the county DA office and a copy of the state of Mississippi vehicle laws should get the ticket dismissed. That doesn’t stop the Utah police officer using the no mud flap as an excuse to pull me over if he wants to.

That’s the rough explanation. But if you get a ticket for mudflats, lift, bumper, etc in another state then be ready with a copy of your states vehicle equipment rules and regulations if you want the ticket dropped.

As for guns and other weapons? There is not an interstate compact on that. So that’s why you have to follow the carry laws of the state you are in at the time.

As for the trailer issue. That’s also covered under federal interstate DOT regulations. Most trailers with a 3500 or 5000lbs axle are not required to have brakes on them. Anything over that is. Be it surge brakes or actual electric trailer brakes. Or air brakes. But then I wouldn’t pull 5000lbs or more with out at least surge brakes. That’s why I always tag my trailer in my state even if they don’t require it. One it makes me be sure my trailer is legal for my state. And second it takes the temptation away from police to pull me over for not trailer tags in a state that does require them. Again they can use it as an excuse.

But I drive a tractor trailer for a living and have come to really value my trailer having good brakes lol.
Sponsored