Sponsored

Could a State Ban Your JL because of Mods?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My tires stick out slightly (I tried to keep the offset to the minimum needed to clear the 37s), so I spend the $60 on the XR flare extensions. They are sitting in my garage. If I ever get a fix it ticket, I can fix it in 2 hours. Similarly, though I don't run a front plate, I have a bracket with quick attach thumb screws. I can put them on the spot is 30 seconds if a LEO ever bothers me.

Be sensible, act like a normal human being and you can push somewhat outside the rules, without being bothered.

The vast majority of modified vehicles on this forum are technically not road legal, anyway. Most people just don't know it.
Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
NJ ditched the actual safety portion of the test years ago. As long as you roll through without a check-engine light and the appearance of a cat, it'll probably pass and you'll get a 2-year sticker. The safety-related items (brakes, lights, suspension, etc) is now on the owner, or local LEO if they see something that is not right.

It used to be crazy here for lifted vehicles. In the early '90s my buddy used to have to take his lifted YJ for an annual stability test and had to have papers that proved the vehicle was safe even though it was lifted in case he was pulled over and questioned.
Yeah I know, trust me my 99 2 door 4.0 was lifted and it had to be inspected every year before they passed the new update to every other year etc etc now and that was always an awesome time! Lol 😂😂😂 I ended up going to private inspection mechanic so I didn’t have to deal with the BS! it’s New Jersey for ya 🙄🙄

camo4stealth

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R 1250RS-'20, BMW R 1250GS-'20, Ducati 950SS
Occupation
Taxpayer
Pretty much anything goes here in Idaho. Left NJ 39 years ago, best decision I ever made.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Issue is the fenders. I live in MD and they do not like tires protruding past fenders at all.

Remember MD is the state that just passed a bill banning charges for allowing a newborn to die of neglect. Let that sink in. The state is run by sickos.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Is it true that New Jersey is the East Coast's Indiana?

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Dang, y'all ever been to Texas?

Jeeps with no fenders, Pickups jacked to the sky, beaters with White or blue smoke trails behind em, crazy bright lights, under carriage lights, the list goes on and on.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Every state will have subjective advantages and disadvantages, as it concerns the language in and enforcement of its Vehicle Code.

For example, by virtue of explicit wording in Pennsylvania's Code, law enforcement reserves the right to fine Wrangler drivers merely for the act of driving sans doors. The going rate is one C-note.

Also, vehicle window tint standards, or limits, tend to be recurringly enforced (it only cost me $80 to bring this first-hand experience to all of you. ;))

On the other hand, we're one of just 20 states that doesn't require a front license plate. There's trade-offs in all places. The responsible drivers -- at least, the ones who don't go crying on YouTube, seeking Pity Clicks -- will have to manage them as best they can.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
States can and do set their own laws on banning entire vehicles;
New York and Pennsylvania have joined Maine and Rhode Island in banning previously registered and legal vehicles. This applies to Japanese vehicles over 25 years old,were legal, now aren't.
Pressure was applied by Lobbying group American Association of Motor Vehicles Administrators.
Since States have the legal right to do this, it could be used as an Extinction Event type ruling in the not too distant future against ICE passenger vehicles. The Magneto concept, with an electric conversion kit approach, will be very popular when the States unite on this

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
States can and do set their own laws on banning entire vehicles;
New York and Pennsylvania have joined Maine and Rhode Island in banning previously registered and legal vehicles. This applies to Japanese vehicles over 25 years old,were legal, now aren't.
Pressure was applied by Lobbying group American Association of Motor Vehicles Administrators.
Since States have the legal right to do this, it could be used as an Extinction Event type ruling in the not too distant future against ICE passenger vehicles. The Magneto concept, with an electric conversion kit approach, will be very popular when the States unite on this
Those bans are against Kei class vehicles and small delivery vans that were never federalized or imported here when new by the manufacturer.

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I hate that look, but I thought it was called the Carolina Lean or something to that effect? 🤮
Didn't they just pass a law banning these in VA... heard something on the news this week. Not my thing either but what does it lead to, whats next to ban?

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Apparently not in Florida……..:facepalm:

E47385AF-69A3-42E5-B13E-FB7D2B441396.jpeg

I love seeing these in FLA. Usually stuck on the boat ramp trying to pull there boat out spinning one wheel. Free entertainment.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Ohio has a 5”? maximum over OEM allowance for bumpers. Let alone exhaust cutoffs. Then again, I haven’t seen a Leo on our roads in years.
That's funny, when I traverse the State of Ohio on my way to Michigan I see Ohio State Patrol all over I-75. The big tire with wings on the door. Once people hit the Michigan border all you hear is the sounds of engines accelerating.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Pretty much anything goes here in Idaho. Left NJ 39 years ago, best decision I ever made.
Idaho used to have inspections, they stopped 20 years ago. They figured the laws were published, you could comply or not, but get in an accident because of something you didn't keep in repair, and they'll nail you then. If you're guilty of an equipment violation and injure someone, you're butt is on the line. As in, jail time on the line.

But, if you don't cause an accident, personal injury or property damage because of your out of spec vehicle, they pretty much leave you alone. If they see you driving erratically, or they just want to pull you over and your vehicle is in any way illegal, they'll use it to get you to the side of the road. I know some recently retired officers and they gave me a lot of insight into what actually goes on here. BUT, some counties are by the book. If you're in violation, figure on getting a fine if you roll through them.

Seriously, we have so many people in violation of so many traffic and vehicle laws, it's crazy. Everyone just figures they can do what they want to, and they're largely right.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Yep, and Florida is home to the redneck pickup trucks with the tailgate dragging the ground and the front end pointed almost straight up. I'll take this jeep's looks over those pickup trucks anytime. Both are FUGLY.
Don't blame Florida, there is a reason why it's called the "Tennessee Tilt" or "Carolina Squat". Totally from Appalachia. Florida import folks from everywhere.
Sponsored