Cost of Sport JL build vs Rubicon?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Just curious how many of you went with a Sport JL build vs buying a Rubicon? When I mean build I mean the works. Dynatrack axles front and rear, Lift , wheels, bigger tires, lockers, sway bar disconnect ect..

What's the total cost of a build like that typically installed? And would it be better then a Rubicon and also hold value down the road?
Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I was at that crossroads recently. Ended up trading in my Sport for a Rubicon vice building up the Sport. Lots of different factors. Tipping point for me was used car prices.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
The answer is... complicated.

If you are happy with 35's or smaller and no lift than a Rubicon wins hands down at $6k cheaper not counting labor.

If you want 37's and plan to regear then a Rubicon is still $4k cheaper not counting labor to install the flares, axles, t-case and swaybar disconnect (which will be a less convenient manual style).

If you want 4D's or bigger then you need Dana 60's and the sport becomes the better option since you will be pitching everything except the transfer case.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you are happy with 35's or smaller and no lift than a Rubicon wins hands down at $6k cheaper not counting labor.

If you want 37's and plan to regear then a Rubicon is still $4k cheaper not counting labor to install the flares, axles, t-case and swaybar disconnect (which will be a less convenient manual style).

If you want 4D's or bigger then you need Dana 60's and the sport becomes the better option since you will be pitching everything except the transfer case.
This.

/thread

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy

This is spot on to view the decision through the lens of your ultimate tire size. I decided to build to 37s so I upgraded to a Rubicon.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
There are some people good at selling their takeoffs who find a way to come out ahead on the Rubicon by using the proceeds from the axle takeoffs and the labor savings of already having the 4:1 transfer case. I'm not gifted that way, so I'd do a Sport/Sport S if I did it again and go straight to 40" tires and 60 axles.
Also, if you don't have the money up front the Rubicon becomes attractive because it is still highly capable as you increment through the upgrades.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I should add that in my opinion, a built up Sport would be the better off-road rig because:

1) It's lighter.
2) It doesn't have as many things to go wrong; electronics, power windows, axle disconnect, swaybar motor, etc.
3) You can lock just the front axle. Many people think this is only for front digs, but leaving the rear unlocked is a huge advantage on slippery side hills. In this situation a locked rear will slide sideways and leave you crab walking along the trail. I've done that with a 15 foot drop off and it's not fun...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Everything above is true:

- Up to 37s, you are clearly better off starting with a Rubicon
- Above 37s it depends on the details of your build, how diligent you are selling take-offs, and how much of the wrenching you will do yourself. But there are definitely builds that could start with a Sport and get to the same place for a similar cost.

As far as holding value there is no question the Rubicon will hold the value better. A stock Sport will have better resale value than a Stock Rubicon . But you will only get a small fraction of the cost of upgrades back and none of the labor.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
...As far as holding value there is no question the Rubicon will hold the value better.
I agree with this and it will only be more apparent in the future. One of the reasons I was told for the high resale of Jeeps, was that it was not a fleet car. I travel a lot for work and it seems everytime i walk out to the rental lot more and more JLU Sports and Saharas are sitting out there (especially on the coasts). It seems that now Jeeps are sheek, the rental car fleets will start to buying more of them, and when they do they will ruin the resale market; and while they may buy hundreds and thousands JLU and JLUS models, I doubt they will ever buy any Rubicons.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
My neighbour is building his Sport in stages. He loves the idea of adding things on, testing it out for a bit and then getting to decide his next move after some real-life experience with a new part. That is one way to look at it …

Sponsored

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Just curious how many of you went with a Sport JL build vs buying a Rubicon? When I mean build I mean the works. Dynatrack axles front and rear, Lift , wheels, bigger tires, lockers, sway bar disconnect ect..

What's the total cost of a build like that typically installed? And would it be better then a Rubicon and also hold value down the road?
For me building a sport was way cheaper. Swapping the front to a 44 and lockers was the only thing "extra" I had to do to the sport. All other upgrades (lift, tires, beadlocks, fenders, bumpers, upgraded tire carrier, podlights, skid plates) I still would have done if it was a rubicon

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
For me building a sport was way cheaper. Swapping the front to a 44 and lockers was the only thing "extra" I had to do to the sport. All other upgrades (lift, tires, beadlocks, fenders, bumpers, upgraded tire carrier, podlights, skid plates) I still would have done if it was a rubicon
Did you upgrade the transfer case? What gears are you running? Did you get the HD brakes? Did you do the mods yourself? Start with a Sport or Sport S?

Every scenario is a little different but I figure it would cost about $6k-$7k to get from a Sport to a Rubicon.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

Did you upgrade the transfer case? What gears are you running? Did you get the HD brakes? Did you do the mods yourself? Start with a Sport or Sport S?

Every scenario is a little different but I figure it would cost about $6k-$7k to get from a Sport to a Rubicon.
Yes, I did all the work myself. Started with a Sport S. 7k is pretty close. I have not upgraded the transfer case. Trying to find a rubi takeoff for a manual is difficult and the atlas ones are expensive. I bought my sport S for 32k and at the time couldn't find a manual rubi. The rubis I looked at were all 45k+. I don't mind working on my vehicles and it makes them feel more like my own. They way I looked at it was I had 10K to build it the way I want, actually more than 10k because I financed the vehicle.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I did all the work myself. Started with a Sport S. 7k is pretty close. I have not upgraded the transfer case. Trying to find a rubi takeoff for a manual is difficult and the atlas ones are expensive. I bought my sport S for 32k and at the time couldn't find a manual rubi. The rubis I looked at were all 45k+. I don't mind working on my vehicles and it makes them feel more like my own. They way I looked at it was I had 10K to build it the way I want, actually more than 10k because I financed the vehicle.
I paid $40k for my Rubicon. A manual Rubi transfer case is about $2k and makes a huge difference.

So it's about a wash pricewise. I think a base Sport there may be some savings. But to each his own. Nice Jeep!
Sponsored