Sponsored

Corrosion Poll

Does your Jeep have corrosion issues? (bubbling caused by factory defect, underneath paint)

• Total voters

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Hi everyone, there's a large following on the "bubbles in paint at door hinges" (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bubbles-in-paint-at-door-hinges.32756/) thread and some of the issues people are having are really unfortunate. A lot of members have posted there with their issues, and I wanted to do a little experiment to see how many of us on this forum suffer or don't suffer from these corrosion issues discussed on that thread.

If you don't mind indicating whether or not you've had corrosion, i think it'd be beneficial for those of us who are worried about this issue to see just how many people are actually impacted by this.

If you do select an option that states you have corrosion, please also pick one or more of the options describing where the corrosion is located. Thank you!
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I already found the bubbling paint on my doors around the hinges last year about this time and had them repaired. I keep looking for new bubbles every time I wash my my Jeep. Found another spot on the leading edge of my hood last week. Will definitely by contacting the dealership soon.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Basically all my hinges at this point have a bubble or two, some are worse. Got a business card from my dealer for the body shop they deal with. Living in Ontario I've been waiting for the salt to stop going down before I take it in, probably gonna do that soon.

I'm thinking I'll pay them extra if I have to or try to work something out where they paint everything separately/apply a film between the hinges and panels

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I chose both 1-2yrs and 2-3yrs. The corrosion first appeared on the passenger side at 1-2yo. Unfortunately, the corrosion returned on the passenger side and new corrosion started to appear on the drivers side during 2-3yo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AMKRubicon610

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I already found the bubbling paint on my doors around the hinges last year about this time and had them repaired. I keep looking for new bubbles every time I wash my my Jeep. Found another spot on the leading edge of my hood last week. Will definitely by contacting the dealership soon.
howd the repair last year go? did they tell you what they did? hope the corrosion on your hood gets fixed without issue

Sponsored

OP
OP
AMKRubicon610

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Basically all my hinges at this point have a bubble or two, some are worse. Got a business card from my dealer for the body shop they deal with. Living in Ontario I've been waiting for the salt to stop going down before I take it in, probably gonna do that soon.

I'm thinking I'll pay them extra if I have to or try to work something out where they paint everything separately/apply a film between the hinges and panels
that's a bummer, its not covered under warranty for you? id be lying if i said i havent looked into what the cost would be down the road for a new paint job. not cheap but would be better than buying a new car assuming its all done correctly and these issues wouldnt come back.

I dont have corrosion issues (yet), jeeps only a month old. i had my door hinges powder coated, fluid film on the bare metal on the doors & tailgate/hinges. i couldnt get the hood hinges off due to the glue they use, so i just sprayed FF in the torx bolt holes and around where the hinge meets the hood hoping that works.

OP
OP
AMKRubicon610

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I chose both 1-2yrs and 2-3yrs. The corrosion first appeared on the passenger side at 1-2yo. Unfortunately, the corrosion returned on the passenger side and new corrosion started to appear on the drivers side during 2-3yo.
sounds like they didnt do a great job during the first repair, which is what id be worried about. the warranty is great but how much is too much when you have to keep going back and dealing with poor quality repairs. hope yours gets fixed and doesnt come back

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They painted with the hinges in place on the door. If they had removed the hinges to prep the door, you would think they would have painted the door and then reattached the hinges. Its a 100% guarantee that this issue will return.

Oh, if you ask them how they performed this you get that 100% BS. Or they will just say it was performed as required.

Five years from now 100% of our Jeeps will have serious paint issues and Jeep will still not issue a recall on it. If anyone reading this thinks their Jeep is one of the good ones, better get your flashlight out and look closer because you overlooked it.

OP
OP
AMKRubicon610

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
They painted with the hinges in place on the door. If they had removed the hinges to prep the door, you would think they would have painted the door and then reattached the hinges. Its a 100% guarantee that this issue will return.

Oh, if you ask them how they performed this you get that 100% BS. Or they will just say it was performed as required.

Five years from now 100% of our Jeeps will have serious paint issues and Jeep will still not issue a recall on it. If anyone reading this thinks their Jeep is one of the good ones, better get your flashlight out and look closer because you overlooked it.
Oh man, I can’t believe they didn’t take your hinges off.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh man, I can’t believe they didn’t take your hinges off.
I know It's hard to believe. They even painted so thick that the hinge is now painted stuck on the door.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AMKRubicon610

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Just wanted to thank everyone so far for answering the polling questions, looks like most of the issues are around the door hinges. Interested to keep this going!
JLR delivered 3/19 no paint issues. No issues with anything, weird and no "April fools" either
great to hear, thanks for voting

OP
OP
AMKRubicon610

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Nope. Paint (and quality all around) has been flawless with the exception of a right rear quarter panel scratch from the factory.

Build date 3/18
This is what I’ve been waiting to hear, it’s definitely possible! Thanks for sharing! Glad you’ve had good luck with yours so far
Sponsored