Sponsored

Coronavirus and Dealer Discounts

kstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few
Hi all - I'm in the market for a new JLRU but was going to hold out for a 2021. I'm in no hurry and expect some new options will come out to help compete with the new Bronco (at least the trail cam). But I might be willing to close the deal now for a great price. What is the consensus on dealers willingness to discount in the next week or so given the current market conditions and uncertainty around the global pandemic? Seems like a buyers market to me. Anyone negotiating now? What should my strike price be? I'm thinking 18% below MSRP on a well optioned JLRU (MSRP is $57360). Dealer near me has three identical JLRUs at that price in their inventory right now. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Sales may slow, but production might stop if the virus hits the factories. 18% off...not on a brand new one right now. If a recession follows this mess I suspect incentives will happen, but again availability my dwindle.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Contact the dealers. They are the ones selling them. We aren't. If you don't like the dealers price, wait. But be realistic with your expectations also. Not sure where you got 18% off from.

Sponsored

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to say it but many dealers already offer wranglers at a cost that they barely make money on, if they hit their monthly goals. The only hope for the deals to get better is for the manufacture to announce incentives on them. Frankly the big discount deals are often loser deals that the dealership takes hoping that it is worth it to hit their goal by the end of the month, but if sales slow and there is no longer a chance to hit it then you might even see dealers back off their discounts in an effort to minimize their losses.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
You're wondering if 18% off MSRP is a good deal or not? Dealers may be eager to move their inventory but they're not that eager unless it's old undesirable stock.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP...... 18% off isn’t likely to happen.

a recession is coming.... I fact, we have just completed the first week of one......if you are looking for a steep discount, wait for the incentives, etc at the risk of not getting the Jeep that you want.

or, adjust your thinking to around 10% off MSRP and see if the dealer will deal (I’m betting that they will).

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'm in the same boat. After wanting one for decades, but never really pulling the trigger due to the ride on longer trips, the new JL seems to have made that a non issue. My first car was a '78 Scout Rallye II. I see financing options from USAA with their buying program at 2.59 for 60m. I see most people are getting good deals historically at ~5-7% below invoice, which seems to translate to about 10-13% of MSRP.

I wanted to order exactly what I want, but that ship sailed with the Covid stuff, factories and parts are going to take forever to get back up to any reasonable build schedule. While I could do a cash buy with trade in, I wish they would offer the 0% for 84 months, that's actually another discount taking into account inflation.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...I wanted to order exactly what I want, but that ship sailed with the Covid stuff, factories and parts are going to take forever to get back up to any reasonable build schedule...
Forever? Doubtful.

Here’s why you should order the JL exactly as you want it: when you get your next vehicle, not getting the JL is going to forever be in your mind and you will have buyer’s remorse for not getting the Wrangler.

You’ve been bitten by the Wrangler bug - it doesn’t leave you. If you have the means and can purchase, do it!! :like:

It shouldn’t have to take an epidemic with lots of people dying for you to realize that you die once, but live everyday you’re in this world - not the other way around. You seem like you have the means and you seem like you want the Wrangler. I suggest you do it.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm in the same boat. After wanting one for decades, but never really pulling the trigger due to the ride on longer trips, the new JL seems to have made that a non issue. My first car was a '78 Scout Rallye II. I see financing options from USAA with their buying program at 2.59 for 60m. I see most people are getting good deals historically at ~5-7% below invoice, which seems to translate to about 10-13% of MSRP.

I wanted to order exactly what I want, but that ship sailed with the Covid stuff, factories and parts are going to take forever to get back up to any reasonable build schedule. While I could do a cash buy with trade in, I wish they would offer the 0% for 84 months, that's actually another discount taking into account inflation.
0% would be sweet. I'd finance every penny including the license plates and the license plate frame. I would take the money you would have paid for the JL with and buy discounted equities on the way up.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Personally, I have never ordered vehicle. I buy from the lot. But that’s just me.

Certainly you should at least consider it. You may find the exact vehicle you were going to order or one that is “close enough” right there on the lot, test drive the heck out of it, buy it for a great price, and drive it home.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Personally, I have never ordered vehicle. I buy from the lot. But that’s just me.

Certainly you should at least consider it. You may find the exact vehicle you were going to order or one that is “close enough” right there on the lot, test drive the heck out of it, buy it for a great price, and drive it home.
Good news is I have seen many recently arriving at lots somewhat nearby that are perfect, now the issue is most are closed for coronavirus. I did see they now have 0% on rubicons for 36 months though :)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Good news is I have seen many recently arriving at lots somewhat nearby that are perfect, now the issue is most are closed for coronavirus. I did see they now have 0% on rubicons for 36 months though :)
Really? Dealerships are closed in Washington?

I thought that the retail side was open in most places and they were social distancing...... which means, specific to dealers, that if you want to take a test drive, they toss you the keys..... when you get back and want to buy, you negotiate from over 6 feet away........

I didn’t realize that the retail side was closed......

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Really? Dealerships are closed in Washington?

I thought that the retail side was open in most places and they were social distancing...... which means, specific to dealers, that if you want to take a test drive, they toss you the keys..... when you get back and want to buy, you negotiate from over 6 feet away........

I didn’t realize that the retail side was closed......
It appears some are still saying they are open, the one I checked that had models on the lot I liked had a new splash screen saying they are not open. The State has been putting the hammer down on a lot of businesses that are remaining open, and its kinda hard to imagine a Car dealership is an essential service.
Sponsored