Corona Gorilla in the room...

Oilburner

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
How long until FCA runs out of 3.0's? With Italy on lockdown it is a matter of 'when' not 'if' at this point.
They are REALLY in a BAD way over there (tracking 7% mortality rate), hope they get past the peak infections & can work towards recovery.

Advertisement

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
How long until FCA runs out of 3.0's? With Italy on lockdown it is a matter of 'when' not 'if' at this point.
They are REALLY in a BAD way over there (tracking 7% mortality rate), hope they get past the peak infections & can work towards recovery.
Please leave this China flue hysteria to CNN. This is the last place I wan to see it. I am already stocked up on toilet paper.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon Hard Rock 2-door
Occupation
Retired
Please leave this China flue hysteria to CNN. This is the last place I wan to see it. I am already stocked up on toilet paper.
This is not a time for partisanship. And...this is certainly not a political hoax. That said, I do agree on the need for measured calm.

OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I am simply saying that EcoDiesel engine production is being impacted by shutting Italy down. My other comments are factual & support the theory that the shutdown will not be short-lived. No panic, I always keep plenty of tp (no need to panic-buy like many are doing)

PS: I haven’t watched CNN since 2001

SolarWizard

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR - D
Occupation
energy management tech for homes and businesses
This is not a time for partisanship. And...this is certainly not a political hoax. That said, I do agree on the need for measured calm.
There’s no partisanship in his post. It’s real. They’re throwing gas on the fire constantly

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I am simply saying that EcoDiesel engine production is being impacted by shutting Italy down. My other comments are factual & support the theory that the shutdown will not be short-lived. No panic, I always keep plenty of tp (no need to panic-buy like many are doing)

PS: I haven’t watched CNN since 2001
Only the people are quarantined, right? Granted it is the entire country, but the should still be able to work and produce the engines. I really do not see much, if any, delay.

OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Only the people are quarantined, right? Granted it is the entire country, but the should still be able to work and produce the engines. I really do not see much, if any, delay.
Lady that works in our building, her daughter lives in Italy. Her town is under quarantine as in 'very limited movement = doctor/grocerystore/etc' Minimal/strategic businesses open, no manufacturing. I do not know how widespread that situation is or how long it will last.
I hope those folks recover quickly, hope we are able to avoid it all together.
If 3.0L production is interrupted, we will not know until JL build orders are put on hold until engines are available. Could easily push back JT diesel launch.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that's tough, my sister in law is reporting about the same situation in north philly, about the only thing open is groceries right now.

hope it blows through quickly

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
If y’all want a good idea of what’s to come, listen to Mike Osterholm’s interview with Joe Rogan. This will get much worse before it gets any better and you can bet your last dollar there will be widespread supply-chain issues affecting ALL wrangler production, not just 3.0s. We’re talking about vehicles with thousands of parts coming from hundreds of sources, all of which are going to be affected by manufacturing shutdowns/slowdowns. The chances of all parts and assembly continuing uninterrupted are zero. Not close to zero, just plain old zero.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
If y’all want a good idea of what’s to come, listen to Mike Osterholm’s interview with Joe Rogan. This will get much worse before it gets any better...
I just listened to it. While Joe Rogan's podcast has been a source of a troubling level of pseudoscience and quackery in the past, his new interview with the highly qualified infectious-disease expert Michael Osterholm is fantastic.

In summary: It will get much worse before it gets better. The USA royally screwed up managing this and people will die because of those mistakes.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon Hard Rock 2-door
Occupation
Retired
There’s no partisanship in his post. It’s real. They’re throwing gas on the fire constantly
I spent all day volunteering at the Mayo Clinic. They built a drive-thru testing facility overnight in both Rochester and Phoenix. They have developed their own test which drops the results time from 5 days to 24 hours. They did this because there were no kits coming from the Feds. At the same time time we were being told it was a hoax, we were also told that there were plenty of testing kits, and that going to work infected was okay. How "real" was all that? During times of national (world) emergency, lying to the American people is unconscionable.

The word "hoax", especially, was downright dangerous. Is there ANYONE out there that still thinks this is a hoax?

Last edited:

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just listened to it. While Joe Rogan's podcast has been a source of a troubling level of pseudoscience and quackery in the past, his new interview with the highly qualified infectious-disease expert Michael Osterholm is fantastic.

In summary: It will get much worse before it gets better. The USA royally screwed up managing this and people will die because of those mistakes.
I disagree with the latter half of your summary unless you’re referencing our and the entire world’s lack of interest in preventive measures before it emerged as a serious issue. Our actions since emergence will have little impact on the final death toll. Local school districts are royally screwing the pooch for sure, but nationally the spread is guaranteed this side of incredibly strict quarantines which are not warranted and likely only delaying the inevitable. We do not use such measures to attempt to stop other viruses spread via respiratory droplets because when the quarantines are lifted, the spread continues. He predicted very clearly there will be no vaccine available by delaying things for a few months. The economic fallout of the US using Italy/China style quarantines will kill far more people than the virus ever will. And that is already extending far beyond the old/medically comorbid crowd. But yea, wrangler production will either slow or stop much more than the drop in demand.

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent all day volunteering at the Mayo Clinic. They built a drive-thru testing facility overnight in both Rochester and Phoenix. They have developed their own test which drops the results time from 5 days to 24 hours. They did this because there were no kits coming from the Feds. At the same time time we were being told it was a hoax, we were also told that there were plenty of testing kits, and that going to work infected was okay. How "real" was all that? During times of national emergency, lying to the American people is unconscionable.

The word "hoax", especially, was downright dangerous. Is there ANYONE out there that still thinks this is a hoax?
I have no dog in the hoax that is blue team vs red team politics, but let’s not lose sight of the reality of his comments.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

If they wanted to get ahead of the problem, the answer was not rapid availability of testing kits...it was preemptive development of a vaccine. This virus will be spreading far and wide regardless of who is confirmed and when. The large majority of cases will never be tested and will be out in the community with mild symptoms spreading virus unknowingly. Outside of a massive quarantine delaying the spread, the feds will not be having a significant affect on spread based on their initial response.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Is toilet paper going to be the new currency when there is only a few of us left roaming the earth in are diesel Wranglers??.

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is toilet paper going to be the new currency when there is only a few of us left roaming the earth in are diesel Wranglers??.
While amusing, currency implies a common understanding of value. TP ranges from $0-10/roll depending on the individual deciding what it’s worth to them, so the exchange rate is nearly infinite. As a commodity to barter, I suppose it could be useful in some exchanges.