Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Probably just me but the Nittos just don't seem to have enough beef/meet/tread on them. Every video I have watched on the coopers people are saying they are barely any louder than stock & they have an undeniable presence.
The Ridge Grappler is a Hybrid type tire. Its a mix of an AT and MT whereas the Cooper STT Pro is a full MT. If you want an equivilant from nitto, look at the Trail Grappler, their full MT.

9db66fe9bc69b84738b1a437bcb6d450.jpg
Sponsored

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Seeing if this works, never posted files to the forum before.

A clip I found of the STT Pros in their element

IMG_0869.jpg
IMG_1422.jpg

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Well, maybe the video clip won't work at least it doesn't on my computer...but it does on the iPhone if you click full screen. I used to be a lot better at this tech thing haha....

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Probably just me but the Nittos just don't seem to have enough beef/meet/tread on them. Every video I have watched on the coopers people are saying they are barely any louder than stock & they have an undeniable presence.
The STT Pros are a great tire but they are loud. Maybe not the loudest MT comparatively speaking, but they are considerably louder than the stock KO2's. If low road noise is high on the list of priorities, then all-terrains would be the better option.

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
The Ridge Grappler is a Hybrid type tire. Its a mix of an AT and MT whereas the Cooper STT Pro is a full MT. If you want an equivilant from nitto, look at the Trail Grappler, their full MT.

9db66fe9bc69b84738b1a437bcb6d450.jpg
I agree, If you want a Mud tire, get the STT Pro, if you want a good all around tire that will provide long tread life (not saying the STT's won't last long) get the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have the Ridge Grapplers and so far they have performed flawlessly from Moab to Ouray. I have not had them in deep mud so I can's speak for their performance in the mud, although I doubt they will perform with the STT Pros. I wheeled with Jeeps in Moab that had the STT Pros and they performed just fine.

Sponsored

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone running Cooper Discoverer STT Pros or Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Sport JLU (especially lifted)? Can you please post pictures as I am trying to decide on tire size for my 2.5 lifted JLU.
Cooper STT Pros, 37" on my Sahara JLU with a 3.5" lift

73472774_2258874260905252_5978972944255156224_o.jpg

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cooper STT Pros, 37" on my Sahara JLU with a 3.5" lift

73472774_2258874260905252_5978972944255156224_o.jpg
Looks awesome. Let me ask you... did you need spacer rings for the Coopers to mount up to the Machetes? I'm looking hard at these wheels.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome. Let me ask you... did you need spacer rings for the Coopers to mount up to the Machetes? I'm looking hard at these wheels.
No spacers, the Machetes have a -38 backspacing and with the Dana Ultimate 44 front axle and the Rubicon 44 rear the tires actually stick out about 4 or 5". Never had any rubbing issues with them on the frame or when turning hard.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No spacers, the Machetes have a -38 backspacing and with the Dana Ultimate 44 front axle and the Rubicon 44 rear the tires actually stick out about 4 or 5". Never had any rubbing issues with them on the frame or when turning hard.
Sorry. I wasn't referring to wheel spacers. The Coopers have a thick bead and depending on the wheel sometimes a spacer ring is needed in between the beadlock ring and the wheel so it can clamp down all the way.

Sponsored

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry. I wasn't referring to wheel spacers. The Coopers have a thick bead and depending on the wheel sometimes a spacer ring is needed in between the beadlock ring and the wheel so it can clamp down all the way.
No spacers, just put the tire on the wheel, torqued everything down and went wheelin. I check the torque every 4 or 6 weeks now. When I first put them on it was every week. Now it very, very minor changes in the torque.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No spacers, just put the tire on the wheel, torqued everything down and went wheelin. I check the torque every 4 or 6 weeks now. When I first put them on it was every week. Now it very, very minor changes in the torque.
Cool. Thanks mate.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There is my point. The coppers just look seriously narly. How is the noise? Should I even be concerned about the noise since I have a soft top only. There will be noise no matter what with a soft top and I'm not expecting my JLU to sound like the cabin of a Mercedes.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is my point. The coppers just look seriously narly. How is the noise? Should I even be concerned about the noise since I have a soft top only. There will be noise no matter what with a soft top and I'm not expecting my JLU to sound like the cabin of a Mercedes.
Here is my take on the Cooper's - I had them mounted and put on back in Feb of this year. Been to Windrock Park in TN twice doing some rock crawlin, 3 Badge of Honor Trails. We mainly do fire service roads, dirt or gravel so I'm no way an expert. I have a soft top and yes they have more noise than the stock but then again they are mud tires. My wife is pretty picky about things like that and never complained once. Heck with the top off or back and the radio on I don't even notice them most of the time. The other thing I like about them is around here they are doing a lot of road construction and one lane has new asphalt about an inch or so higher than the other. No jerking when I change lanes, just like smooth.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a hardtop so I'm not sure exactly how much louder it would be with a soft top. They are loud but It doesn't bother me. Loudness really wasn't even a factor for me when I was choosing.
Sponsored