Sponsored

Cooling Fan ON at High speed

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon granite 2 doors; 2021 willys Sarge
Vehicle Showcase
Can anybody tell me the rationale of the cooling fan turning on?

I am driving on highway, no AC, oil coolant and transmission temps less than 200 F. Cooling fan comes on at highway speeds and goes down at stop lights and again full speed when i reach 40 MPH and up.
Cooling fan should come on when temp are up and at low speed not the way around...Scratching my head. Any help???
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Can anybody tell me the rationale of the cooling fan turning on?

I am driving on highway, no AC, oil coolant and transmission temps less than 200 F. Cooling fan comes on at highway speeds and goes down at stop lights and again full speed when i reach 40 MPH and up.
Cooling fan should come on when temp are up and at low speed not the way around...Scratching my head. Any help???
Mine does EXACTLY the same thing. Am trying to schedule the V41 recall visit and will add this to the squawk sheet.

I know there are other threads on the loud cooling fan on the forum (just too lazy to look for them atm).

OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Please let me know it is driving me nuts. I dont care if it is loud, I just do not think it should be on. I notice that if i put the Auto transmission in neutral the fan speeds goes down....It can't be right.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
Please let me know it is driving me nuts. I dont care if it is loud, I just do not think it should be on. I notice that if i put the Auto transmission in neutral the fan speeds goes down....It can't be right.
Honestly I don't think it's normal. The tech said it was normal yet he went on a 4 mile test drive with it after it was parked overnight and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even that warm out when he looked at it. Regardless I stopped caring. If my radiator gets destroyed it's under warranty I guess

OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly I don't think it's normal. The tech said it was normal yet he went on a 4 mile test drive with it after it was parked overnight and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even that warm out when he looked at it. Regardless I stopped caring. If my radiator gets destroyed it's under warranty I guess
You have to go when it is actually happening and let the tech driving with you. I am in Northern CT. Go to Enfield CT, ask for Jim at Artioli. I might ask him again for help. He is very available to help.

Sponsored

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
You have to go when it is actually happening and let the tech driving with you. I am in Northern CT. Go to Enfield CT, ask for Jim at Artioli. I might ask him again for help. He is very available to help.
I'm more worried about the metallic snapping noise that occurs from my front end mostly when turning but randomly driving straight down the road as well. There's now a star case opened up on it. They replaced a wheel hub and it didn't fix it. Now they don't know what to replace

OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh MY! This is unacceptable. Are you working with Bertera I assume. If they dont know what to do, as I said change dealer service. Bolles in Ellington CT are good too. I cant stand Bertera LOL

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I see at least one of you has the 2.0L could it be a turbo thing? Like for cooling the oil?

No idea, just throwing it out there...

OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see at least one of you has the 2.0L could it be a turbo thing? Like for cooling the oil?

No idea, just throwing it out there...
I have 2.0 and I don't think so. The temps on dash are not that hot...

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I have 2.0 and I don't think so. The temps on dash are not that hot...
But the oil usually circulates through the turbo to lube/cool it.

Again, i'm just guessing, but if everyone who sees this issue has the 2.0, then maybe it's not a bug directly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But the oil usually circulates through the turbo to lube/cool it.

Again, i'm just guessing, but if everyone who sees this issue has the 2.0, then maybe it's not a bug directly.
I don't know. Hope someone else with 2.0 chime in

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The turbo is lubed with engine oil, but is cooled with its own antifreeze circuit separate from that of the engine.

A simple flash from the dealer popped up at the tail end of 2018, which if memory serves was for loud fan and/or rough idle. The specific system being flashed is common to both engines. For the vast majority of us, its not an indicator of an underlying problem, just a system acting like and overprotective mother that jumps up at every sound.

Have a great weekend jeepers!
Sponsored