Coolant expansion tank

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Why would the coolant expansion tank be empty. Of course I am thinking a leak - i always park in a garage and have never seen any antifreeze on floor -but where is it going? I am assuming I should fill it back up to the min/max line. Have an appointment at dealer on Friday. Yes it was running hot which was what made me look at the coolant overflow tank. 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If the dealer isn't far, let them verify the level. They will add a dye, then find traces of the coolant leakage with a special light. The way the radiators are made are a known fault, plus could be coolant line, seal, who knows. You did say it was 2 years old in your other post, someone didn't check that expansion tank

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Why would the coolant expansion tank be empty. Of course I am thinking a leak - i always park in a garage and have never seen any antifreeze on floor -but where is it going? I am assuming I should fill it back up to the min/max line. Have an appointment at dealer on Friday. Yes it was running hot which was what made me look at the coolant overflow tank. 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Are you running with cabin heat on? Notice any kind of odor? Those two things could mean a leaking heater core (radiator). Refill and see if it drops (remember to add and check level when the engine is cold, like first thing in the morning. If the level drops, there is a leak (big or small) somewhere. Good advice to have the dealer check it, and if you have confirmed that the level drops, you may have to be persistent if the dealer says, "We couldn't find anything wrong, so we refilled it for you." (I had this happen with a different vehicle) Good luck!

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the dealer isn't far, let them verify the level. They will add a dye, then find traces of the coolant leakage with a special light. The way the radiators are made are a known fault, plus could be coolant line, seal, who knows. You did say it was 2 years old in your other post, someone didn't check that expansion tank
No. No one has mentioned it to me or checked it as far as I know. It is going back in on Friday.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They are " meant" to check all fluid levels when you bring it in for oil changes. Did you get receipts for oil changes, with a list of "checks" performed ? Bring these in with you, they should have copies on file, but having yours helps

Sponsored

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I have a cracked radiator and my auxiliary battery is bad. This is after a failed power steering pump a week ago and major electrical failure. Oh and I have the paint bubbling in at least 5 spots around my hinges. Very disturbing on a 2 years old 50k plus Jeep.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is it’s cracked because the res tank or other point allowed coolant to leak out, my son had this issue on a Chevy, the res tank had a small crack in it and he never noticed it was empty till the engine overheated then it was to late, I found my res cap not tightened all the way down when I got my JL and that allowed some of the coolant to flash off....Dealer said the cap on the res tank needs to be tightened all the way down
Sponsored