Cool uses for take off parts

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I removed these hooks from my front bumper before I tossed them...
Jeep Wrangler JL Cool uses for take off parts 1624413636248

I am constantly jacking up the front/rear of my rig ... jack stands / floor jack works but is pain to lift the wheels one at a time ( I prefer not to lift the front/rear by the pumpkin) .. so I bought a floor jack crossbeam... took the hooks and came up with this adapter that allows me to quickly lift front or rear:

Jeep Wrangler JL Cool uses for take off parts 1624414044377

Jeep Wrangler JL Cool uses for take off parts 1624414145133

I use my angle grinders a lot !!.. sparks burn my hands even with heavy gloves... so... I took a heat shield I removed from the front of the axle arm and reused it as a hand shield...

Jeep Wrangler JL Cool uses for take off parts 1624414371210

Jeep Wrangler JL Cool uses for take off parts 1624414451459

Jeep Wrangler JL Cool uses for take off parts 1624414401335

BTW... the idea is that you also post cool uses for take-off parts :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I knew there was a reason I didn't toss my tow hooks. It so happens that I just bought one of those crossbeams. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Now I'm already thinking of modifying it.

You've also got me thinking about what to do with those coil springs I saved.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I knew there was a reason I didn't toss my tow hooks. It so happens that I just bought one of those crossbeams. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Now I'm already thinking of modifying it.

You've also got me thinking about what to do with those coil springs I saved.
I would love to find something to do with my oem springs. Nobody wants to take them off my hands and I can't throw good steal away.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to find something to do with my oem springs. Nobody wants to take them off my hands and I can't throw good steal away.
I eventually took them to a metal scrapper. Got 7 bucks out of that, my old front bumper and the old brush guard that damaged my grille. Better than nothing and the steel gets recycled.

Sponsored

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
If there are any high school shop classes left in your part of the world. I am sure the teacher would love to have some more steel for the kids to play with.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
That's why I have stuff like half of a single leaf truck spring. It's close to 1" thick, significantly curved, and I'd guess about 3" wide. A lot of good spring steel there. I couldn't leave it laying on the side of the road, but now I've had that thing for probably 10 years. Probably five years into picking up this steel, I got a forge and anvil. I can finally do something with it, I told myself. Yeah, but not really. It's a LOT of steel to heat up, and it's not in a shape that is anywhere close to useful. How many hours am I willing to spend heating and beating this free steel? Not that many hours, it turns out.

Now I'm saving it in case I come up with a need to mill something out of a thick chunk of steel. I'm sure if I do, I will discover that it's hard as hell, even after I try to anneal it, and it will eat tool bits and send wicked sharp, red hot little corkscrews everywhere. That's what happened when I finally machined a flat top on an old piece of railroad track I picked up. Oh, I finally got it flat, but I ruined a pair of boots walking through the shop. There were so many metal slivers embedded in the soles that I was chewing up the hardwood floors walking through the house. Boots relegated to weed eater duty only. New boots purchased. I killed like 12 carbide inserts on that job. For what? Well, I have a piece of railroad track with a flat top now, and I haven't really used it for anything.

The springs are in the same kind of territory. Sure, I can straighten them, but then make what? I can't think of anything I want to make badly enough to do that much work, but taking $5 or whatever for the steel is an insult to the forge gods, so I will keep the springs another 10 years. :CWL:

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Ironman suit next?