Cool Tech's CB Antenna Kit for JL Wrangler - Available Now

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Hey @CoolTech is the antenna pretuned? Also, I'm on 37" tires along with Metalcloak 3.5 lift, would you recommend 3" or 4" antenna?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi m3lover1 - there really is no such thing as a pre-tuned antenna... don't let anyone tell you differently! (There's a lot of good technical information on the FireStik website for anyone that is interested.) ALL of the antennas we carry are Firestik's with tune-able tips.

Generally speaking, the longer (higher) a CB antenna is, the better it will perform - so I guess I'd recommend the 4'.

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@CoolTech - do you make any ham radio antenna mounts for the JL? I currently have you CB mount with the Fire stick but want to add a ham radio to the Jeep as well.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Hi m3lover1 - there really is no such thing as a pre-tuned antenna... don't let anyone tell you differently! (There's a lot of good technical information on the FireStik website for anyone that is interested.) ALL of the antennas we carry are Firestik's with tune-able tips.

Generally speaking, the longer (higher) a CB antenna is, the better it will perform - so I guess I'd recommend the 4'.
Thanks for the help! Gonna place an order. Already ordered the lod cb mount for my incoming tire carrier but I'll just return that one instead

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Installed the cooltech kit the other day. Works great. 3’ firestik with the spring and quick disconnect. I also “flipped” the bracket so that the antenna mount is on the top. All of that puts the 3’ antenna well above the roof.

Purchased an inexpensive SMR meter from amazon and the antenna is tuned and good to go.

overall nice kit!

Sponsored

kkipp9

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Military
Well after experiencing very high SWR with this setup I can confirm something. Some other guys on here said that you need to really tighten up the fire ring mount. I tightened this until the plastic washers were squeaking and then some. I kept going until it didn't turn anymore. I am a big guy so there is a lot of torque. Bottom line is that now the SWR problem is fixed. Channel 40, 20 and 1 are all below 1.5 SWR. This is more of a thing with the cable and mount assembly than anything else. Very pleased with this setup.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Question:
I have not owned a CB for years because I couldn't stand the antenna "smack". Is this still a problem or has the issue been resolved (besides the tennis ball technique)?

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Question:
I have not owned a CB for years because I couldn't stand the antenna "smack". Is this still a problem or has the issue been resolved (besides the tennis ball technique)?
Depends where you mount it

Sponsored

kkipp9

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Military
The smack is still an issue on the back. I have seen tennis balls. I glued a small patch of felt to the roof where it hits in the back.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I dont have the smack issue with mine, but I don't have a spring mount on mine. I do gave a quick disconnect.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I have a GMRS radio not CB so I don't have that problem I wish people would make a decent. mount for those
Below is a link to the post of my build. The mount and location I used works for any NMO mounted antenna. Then just get whatever GMRS antenna you want that has that connection. The antenna I use would work for that, for example. Very inexpensive as well. It is pretty much the best location on a Wrangler for an antenna. Unless building something else custom.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/white-jl-sport-s.14701/#post-513815
Sponsored