Sponsored

Cool Tech's CB Antenna Kit for JL Wrangler - Available Now

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
They just did the same for me. I offered to pay for the bolts, but they sent them out today for free. Great service!
Looking at getting the reinforcement kit down the line. Assuming the longer bolts would be too long without it on yeah?
Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Looking at getting the reinforcement kit down the line. Assuming the longer bolts would be too long without it on yeah?
Yeah, it would be to long. They have great customer service. I would reach out to them and let them know. Maybe they will throw in the longer bolts for you for when you do the upgrade on the tailgate.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So what can I expect as the practical difference between getting the 3 foot antenna vs the 4 foot in terms of range? I would expect to be using the CB for road trips (interstate) and occasional off-road caravans with a group.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi Bob, I wish there was an easy answer to that question, but there are just too many variables. In other words, there can be atmospheric conditions and geo location variables that could combine to really mitigate the practical differences between the two antenna lengths. In general, the higher that you can get the antenna the better your line-of-sight will be and therefore better communication. At legal transmit power levels, the probability of skipping is diminished so that's not really a factor. Your stated usage - on the interstate and in run groups off-road, I suspect that either antenna length will suit you fine. I would also say that an SWR tuned 3' set-up will out-perform an un-tuned 4' set-up.... so tuning IS important to get the best range possible.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the response, this does help my decision process.

Sponsored

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
FYI - the cooltech mount DOES NOT FIT if your spare is a 35 on a stock wheel using an adjusted stock carrier with no additional spacing.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 37 inch tire on aftermarket rims with a tailgate using the Mopar reinforced hinge kit and oversized spare relation kit.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Question: Regardless of a 3 ft or 4 ft antenna, what does anyone do when they pull into a parking structure with a ceiling that the antenna won't clear? Get out and take it off? install a spring on the antenna base and let it scrape along? This sounds less than appealing.....

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
FYI - the cooltech mount DOES NOT FIT if your spare is a 35 on a stock wheel using an adjusted stock carrier with no additional spacing.
snapshot_001.jpg

When I mounted my 37s, I had to move the bracket to the bottom and flip it. Works out great.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
snapshot_001.jpg

When I mounted my 37s, I had to move the bracket to the bottom and flip it. Works out great.
Why did you have to do that? When you say "flip it" do you mean upside down?

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Why did you have to do that? When you say "flip it" do you mean upside down?
Yeah, I flipped it upside down so that it pushes the antenna more to the passenger side. The 37" tires smash it otherwise. It worked fine on the top hinge until I mounted the 37s. I have a plastic bumper in the rear still, so I didn't need to relocate the tire carrier. Just added the reinforcement kit. I made a video on it. I'll try to post tomorrow.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I appreciate the input. i'm still debating on the 3 vs 4 foot antenna.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks I appreciate the input. i'm still debating on the 3 vs 4 foot antenna.

Sorry it took so long. Here is the install video. You can see why I had to flip it at the end of the video. I would go with a 4'. Just in case you need the extra range if you are alone. If you'll always be in a group, the 3' would be fine.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 4 footer for exactly that reason, thanks.

Drkarr

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon
I had no success getting my SWR down with the Cool Tech JL mount system. My SWR was 3.5 after I checked everything and reinstalled everything, not my first CB system BTW. I brought my Jeep to a CB shop run by the same gut for 40+ years. His opinion was the coax cable and mount was sub par and that was the problem. As soon as we swapped out the mount and the cable for new ones from the shop the SWR was down to 0.5.

I have been calling Cool Tech about their cable/mount and the phone has been ringing busy for a week and they have not responded to any of my emails.

In short, don't but the system, its crap. Just go to a CB shop and have them set you up.
Sponsored