First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392 XR, C7Z Corvette, C5Z Corvette
Got my kit the other day, am going to install this weekend. Is it ok to plasti-dip the mounting bracket and hardware? I’m a CB newb, just wanted to make sure. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Is it ok to plasti-dip the mounting bracket and hardware? I’m a CB newb, just wanted to make sure.
In a word, no. The bracket needs to be grounded. Grounding is achieved with the bolts/washers in contact with the bare stainless steel and then threaded into the tailgate. If you are careful and coat around where the bolts/washers make contact the bracket you'll be OK. However, you also need to take a look at the FireRing connector. The metal "ring" on the side of the FireRing against the bracket MUST contact the bare metal. In summary, you must make sure that the bracket can ground to the Jeep and then that the FireRing grounds to the bracket. This is the reason we don't sell painted/powdercoated brackets... and since ordinarily steel will rust, we make the brackets from stainless steel (which may still need to have occasional maintenance to maintain its appearance).

Gnomad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392 XR, C7Z Corvette, C5Z Corvette
Thanks for the quick reply and detailed explanation...makes sense.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got my kit the other day, am going to install this weekend. Is it ok to plasti-dip the mounting bracket and hardware? I’m a CB newb, just wanted to make sure. :)
In a word, no. The bracket needs to be grounded. Grounding is achieved with the bolts/washers in contact with the bare stainless steel and then threaded into the tailgate. If you are careful and coat around where the bolts/washers make contact the bracket you'll be OK. However, you also need to take a look at the FireRing connector. The metal "ring" on the side of the FireRing against the bracket MUST contact the bare metal. In summary, you must make sure that the bracket can ground to the Jeep and then that the FireRing grounds to the bracket. This is the reason we don't sell painted/powdercoated brackets... and since ordinarily steel will rust, we make the brackets from stainless steel (which may still need to have occasional maintenance to maintain its appearance).
I did this yesterday, I left the bottom part of the bracket clean, and taped off circles for the bolts. Make sure if you are using plasti-dip sand it first, I just hit it with steel wool and it was not enough to get the plasti-dip to stick on stainless.

willy_28

First Name
guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
when are they going to be available with the cobra radio?

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Ordered, and looks like it shipped already. Ordered Cobra radio from a different site, looking forward to everything arriving!

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
Cool Tech is proud to announce our CB Antenna Kit for the new JL Wrangler. The bracket itself is constructed form stainless steel as is the mounting fasteners. The kit includes the bracket, mounting hardware, Firestik's very unique coax with a FireRing connector on the antenna end and a small diameter (good for routing) mini-UHF end on the other and your choice of a 3' or 4' Firestik FireFly antenna with a adjustable (tune-able) tip.

I'm guessing you've already answered this question, but if you would, could you tell me the pros/cons for a three vs four foot antenna?
thanks

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The main con I can think of, and the reason I have a 2' and a 4' is fitting in a garage. For reception you really want the biggest properly tuned antenna that works. Also you may want a smaller antenna if you do tight/low trails.

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
The main con I can think of, and the reason I have a 2' and a 4' is fitting in a garage. For reception you really want the biggest properly tuned antenna that works. Also you may want a smaller antenna if you do tight/low trails.
will the antenna bang against the top if brushed across tree limbs, etc?

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
FYI, my pretty standard garage fits the 3' antenna inside the door with about an inch to spare with the Cooltech mounted on the top tailgate hinge. 3' antenna and no quick disconnect. If I add the QD it's too tall.

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

This is a How To Video on the installation of this kit. I wired this up to the battery and ground bus bar, not the AUX switch.
Cool Tech LLC Jeep JL All-In-One CB Radio Kit with the Cobra 75 WXST / 4' Firestik FireFly Antenna.
I'll post a video on how to tune the Antenna with a SWR Meter tomorrow on my YouTube page.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A

Firecracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Firecracker Red
Can the antenna be easily unscrewed for removal when not in use?

Thanks

LeoD

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Real Estate Sales
I have a similar question to Firecracker...I want to add a quick disconnect, will that affect its performance?

Thanks,
Leo
Sponsored