OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job! What is the size of the hole (looks smaller than NMO of 3/4"). Our constraint is that we want to have an NMO add-on to our mount. I just don't think there's enough of a market to manufacture an NMO mount. In brief research for want diameter a "typical" loaded antenna base would be, we're thinking we need to have room for 2" diameter. If we can get a working prototype, I'll send it to you for feedback.
Um, yeah, there is a market. You're crazy thinking there isn't. No one makes one. And LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE HAM RADIO'S. Everything is DIY.

And it's not just HAM, I can't run a GMRS antenna either.

Lot's of groups and events moving away from CB. And it needs to continue to happen. I for one am advocating regularly for the move to GMRS. All of our events are GMRS. I know there are the old stalwarts, like Jeep Jamboree.

Either way, I see a lot of CB options. I don't see options for others.
Sponsored

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Nice job! What is the size of the hole (looks smaller than NMO of 3/4"). Our constraint is that we want to have an NMO add-on to our mount. I just don't think there's enough of a market to manufacture an NMO mount. In brief research for want diameter a "typical" loaded antenna base would be, we're thinking we need to have room for 2" diameter. If we can get a working prototype, I'll send it to you for feedback.
Thanks. Two inches sounds about right. I drilled a 3/8" hole, and then did the old "rotate the bit around" to give me a little more clearance. A 7/16" bit would have been more precise! My previous NMO was 3/4", but with the new JL setup I specifically purchased the NMO that allows you to insert it through a 3/8" hole, thinking I would be able to find a suitable CB mount. Unfortunately none of the CB mounts I found had that nice two inch base. A 3/4" hole in an "add-on" adapter will accept all NMO mounts, so from my perspective it would universally apply. I understand it might be a small market. The add-on sounds like a reasonable solution, but I suspect due to the added depth, it would have to be directed toward the passenger side of the vehicle to clear the spare tire. Looking at your current CB mount, looks like it could accept a 2" plate, bolted/attached through the two existing holes (to prevent unwanted rotation), then skewed towards the passenger side of the vehicle. Heck, maybe even another attachment point at the hinge bolt. Just my opinion, I'll let the experts take it from here! And sure, if you get a prototype I'd be happy and honored to take a look and provide feedback.

Jeepaddict76

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Do you know if this setup will work with a 35 inch tire on factory wheel with OEM Rubicon spare tire carrier?

IMG_20190807_084334.jpg

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
Do you know if this setup will work with a 35 inch tire on factory wheel with OEM Rubicon spare tire carrier?

IMG_20190807_084334.jpg
That's exactly my setup. But you have to flip the the bracket so the antenna mounting hole is to the outside.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Please also be aware that Jeep cautions that maximum tailgate weight should not exceed 75lbs. I'm betting that with an aggressive 35" tire on a stock rim, you are above that.

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Please also be aware that Jeep cautions that maximum tailgate weight should not exceed 75lbs. I'm betting that with an aggressive 35" tire on a stock rim, you are above that.
Just an FYI.
With stock Rubicon wheels @ 21.5 lbs. and BFG KO2s (315/70/17) @ 64.4 lbs. I am at 85.9 lbs. and therefor above the Mopar recommended weight. However, with my combination and with the Mopar steel rear bumper I find that the tire actually rests on the bumper which should easily compensate for the additional 10 lbs. (and maybe more).

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That's going to be close! Please see attached picture.

Dims-On-Jeep.jpg
Kendall,
Have you considered making a bracket that has the mount moved further toward the door hinge so it would clear a larger tire?
Don't know the cost of tooling to make that change and if it would be cost effective... but? I did flip mine over to make it work when I installed the 35s but now the logo is obviously upside down. The antenna is also a little closer to the window with the door open.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Deek, I like the idea of your bumper off-loading some of the tire weight and, as importantly, providing stabilization so that the tailgate doesn't have to deal with a bouncing, heavy weight. As a propeller head in the CAD/CAM business for 40 years, we actually ran analysis of the bracket to see where stresses were. From an end-user cost perspective, we wanted to avoid stepping up to a 3/16" bracket thickness and the best way to do that is to keep the antenna placement closer to one of the mount points. (This also helps with the glass opening as you noted.) We could have also avoided the twisting moment by smashing the bracket up against the painted hinge surface.... but we didn't want to do this either. For this unique combination of a 35" tire on the OEM (offset) rim, flipping the bracket is one (compromised) alternative. Other users have used a 1/4" wheel spacer (Amazon, Ebay, etc.) to provide the extra bit of room.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered this kit. WIth the Mopar gate reinforcement, i had a thought to paint the mounting plate, to have a nice contrast against the black. Does anyone know if the plate provides any type of grounding functionality? Didnt know if i could paint the entire thing or if i need to leave it bare metal around the bolt holes....thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The "mount" of any good CB antenna needs to be well grounded. I suppose this is easy enough achieve by painting with a throw-away bolt and washer in place to insure that you have a "bare" area that the bracket-to-tailgate bolts can make contact with. Additionally, if you are using the Firestik FireRing connector (our default), then you also need to leave a bare area where the FireRing connector can make direct contact with the metal.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The "mount" of any good CB antenna needs to be well grounded. I suppose this is easy enough achieve by painting with a throw-away bolt and washer in place to insure that you have a "bare" area that the bracket-to-tailgate bolts can make contact with. Additionally, if you are using the Firestik FireRing connector (our default), then you also need to leave a bare area where the FireRing connector can make direct contact with the metal.
Thank you! That's what i was thinking. I will leave a bare spot around the bolt holes. I appreciate the response!

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
I would like to see Cool Tech modify their tailgate mount to work on the front.

The two (black) screws on the side of the trim piece would provide secure anchoring and the sturdy Cool Tech L bracket would permit the use of a stout antenna.

My stainless NMO L bracket is limited in thickness by the gap between the trim piece and the fender.

So ... what say ye Cool Tech ? A nice mount for the front side would provide for a more optimal antenna mounting position than the tailgate. Plus, the routing of the coax through the grommet in the firewall is considerably easier than routing coax through the tailgate.

Oh ... as mentioned above ... please provide enough of a "shelf" for an NMO mount !

IMG_2325.JPG

mbinzayed

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Hi jeepers

I want to know about installing CB Antenna at the back of the jeep does it hit the body of the jeep while driving on-road or off-road?

If yes, any ideas on how to avoid it?

OP
OP

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi jeepers

I want to know about installing CB Antenna at the back of the jeep does it hit the body of the jeep while driving on-road or off-road?

If yes, any ideas on how to avoid it?

Our "kit" will not "wag" at high speeds nor will it come into contact with the body of the Jeep. I suppose hardtop contact would be possible it antenna gets caught in a tree/brush while off-roading and then "springs" back to its position, but this is thankfully rare and even when it occurs it is not likely to leave a mark.
Sponsored