TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered bracket. Nice mounting option for the JL, really like the quick release :clap:
Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
really like the quick release
Credit H3R for the quick release pin and the high-quality embroidered pull flag. We first used this H3R mount in a race car and were super-impressed with the quality. We just had to figure a way for JL-owners to be able to take advantage of it!

Truthfully, don't know the answer yet about fitment with the soft top. We scooted the mounting bracket over toward the outside of the JL to provide room for the soft top plates that mount on the inside edge of the roll-bar and we intentionally avoided using those mount points - tempting as they were!

I think a customer will let us know soon.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Credit H3R for the quick release pin and the high-quality embroidered pull flag. We first used this H3R mount in a race car and were super-impressed with the quality. We just had to figure a way for JL-owners to be able to take advantage of it!
Just received my kit yesterday and will be installing over the weekend. The bracket looks great! Will update with pics once installed.

Not sure if I should get a tap for the top bolt or just try to ratchet the self-tapping bolt in. Your instructions mentioned an impact driver to put the bolt into the unthreaded boss on the roll bar, but all I have are hand tools. A tap is around $5 so I'll probably go that route.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yeah, good ol' fashioned tap is what we used. 3/8-16 is the size. It is very common - readily available at Home Depot or other hardware stores. You just need a few turns, nothing hard. No pre-drilling is necessary. The ID of that boss is 5/16" which is the drill size for 3/8 -16. Note that if you ever decide to remove the mount - that boss will just be threaded - no big deal.

The bracket itself is elevated above the roll bar and uses a small rubber bump stop near the bottom to supply additional support. The trim screw in the ear of the bracket simply keeps the bracket from twisting and, because of the bump stop, is not carrying a load.

Eagerly awaiting more pictures from early adopters! Finally, who will be the first to let us know if we are OK with the soft top??

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Eagerly awaiting more pictures from early adopters! Finally, who will be the first to let us know if we are OK with the soft top??
Installation complete. Very straight forward. I did get a 3/8-16 tap to thread for the top bolt but that was super simple. Very clean design. The roll bar bracket fits perfectly, both to the H3R mount and to the roll bar. The mount is very secure. The lower bracket that secures the bottom is there only to anchor it, the weight is supported by the rubber cushion on the bottom.

I haven't driven it yet, but don't see how this can cause any noise or rattling.

Highly recommended.

(Sorry, hard top here, can't address fitment with soft top.)

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

Sponsored

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I like the idea, but has anyone tried this on a 2-door. The Cool Tech rep thinks it should work, but it looks to me that the roll bar on the 2-door has a lot more curvature between the mounting points.
@CoolTech, did you get a chance to check fit on a 2-door yet? If not, I’m willing to be a guinea pig. I’m in Ventura, so not too far away...:like:

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
MandKM - have a look at the picture below depicting the two mount points on the 4-door. Take a rough dimension of the line between the center of the boss and that trim screw. If the dimension is ~11.25", then it is the same as the 4-door. If it doesn't fit/work, we'd give you a return label and a full refund.

FE-Mounts.jpg

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I haven't test fit yet... Waiting on delivery of Bracket.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I got mine installed today. A word of warning to folks: don't bother with the self-tapping bolt. It destroyed itself trying to tap the mounting point, so I used my own tap to cut the threads. If you don't have taps, get one before you try and install this mount.

I had to add a bunch of washers to mine as the bolt I had was too long. I'll probably come back at some point with a shorter bolt, but with the blue loctite, I don't expect it to go anywhere.

IMG_0934.JPEG

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
This Bracket does not fit a 2 Door... Made my own using the (what I believe to be soft top mounts) two threaded holes on the exterior side of the rollbar.

Sponsored

minimight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Waiting on soft top fitment. Would be HUGE if it worked.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Even a small fire, extinguished by a common fire extinguisher can be devastating to your Jeep due to the damage the extinguisher's contents do to your vehicle, interior, and components. That stuff is very corrosive.

Consider spending a little more and purchase a fire extinguisher that uses Halotron. The Halotron fire extinguishing agent discharges as a rapidly evaporating liquid, which is non-conductive, non-corrosive, and leaves behind no residue. It is also the most environmentally beneficial halocarbon agent on the market.

Our diesel pusher motorhome has a Halotron fire suppression system installed in the engine bay and we have both 2 1/2 lb and small spray can sized extinguishers. I've got another one qued to go in the JLU.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
mikej - Thanks for your feedback and install pic. We also recommend the 3/8-16 tap - readily available from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The "boss" that you will tap does not require any pre-drilling. Trying to get the supplied "self tapping" bolt to go by hand will not work, however, we have seen shops install with a drill hammer/driver. Our preference is the tried and true tapping method although it takes a few more minutes.

Ron-H - Good point about the Halotron agent. As you point out it is not corrosive like the more common (less expensive) agents. H3R makes a 3" diameter HG250R - available on Amazon for $186 whereas the more common MX250 is ~$85. Decisions, decisions....

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
mikej - Thanks for your feedback and install pic. We also recommend the 3/8-16 tap - readily available from Lowes, home depot, etc. The "boss" that you will tap does not require any pre-drilling. Trying to get the supplied "self tapping" bolt to go by hand will not work, however, we have seen shops install with a drill hammer/driver. Our preference is the tried and true tapping method although it takes a few more minutes.
Y'all might want to remove the self-tapping bolt from the kit and instructions, then. It was frustrating and a waste of time to try and use it.

I used an M10 x 1.5 tap, because that's what the self tapping bolt measured out to and it had already cut a bit because I had tried using it, because it was included.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Following is the exact quote from the instructions that ship with each kit. Not sure how we can be any more clear on what our recommendation is:

Step 2: Install the Mount into the Jeep
Remove the trim screw as shown in Figure 1 using a T20 Torx screwdriver. Using a 3/8-16 tap, thread the boss for the short bolt provided in the Cool Tech kit. (Note: Although we prefer you to create these threads using a tap, some owners choose to install this self-threading bolt using a 9/16” socket attached to an electric hammer/driver drill.)

An M10x1.5 tap requires an 8.5mm .3346 pilot hole whereas the boss is an existing .3125 hole. This .3125 is the spec pilot hole for a 3/8-16 tap. The combination of trying to tap an M10 thread into this smaller hole and the fact that the supplied bolt is a 3/8-16 thread is, I suspect, the reason that you had to use additional spacers.
Sponsored