Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Just purchased and have never used a tap. I see the bits are cheap but the Hand tap tools get pretty pricey.
Can anyone walk me through using a tap. Need a special tool? Need to lubricate as you go?
I’ll be installing on a sky one touch so I don’t have a top I can remove. Working room up there gonna be tight. Thanks all.
I am sure that there may be others that will chime in, it's been a few years since I have used a hand tap, but they are pretty easy.
Using a tap wrench allows you to apply some downward force, and yes some sort of lubricant is recommended, we used to use cutting fluid, but I am sure that there are regular products (3-in-1, WD40) that will work for one or two holes.
A quick google pulled up this page, which gives pretty good write up:
https://disher.com/2016/11/08/whats-tap-hand-taps-beginners/

Remember to Twist-twist-reverse (two 1/4 turns forward, one 1/4 turn back, to clear out any debris).
Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! The un-threaded bung on the roll bar was just too attractive of a mounting location to pass up. In the vast universe of Jeep owners, there is a crazy wide diversity of skills & on-hand tools. Communities such as this one provide a GREAT place to share experiences and tips. We DID contemplate including a tap but then, of course, if we included a tap, do we also include a tap holder? For those owners already having these tools, it was just a wasted expense. Also, we expect that many of you are part of groups or clubs... a great resource for borrowing tools, or better yet, 5 minutes of skills to tap an already pre-drilled hole for you! But, I must admit, we DO like to see owners wrenching on their own vehicles.

We ARE happy to see that even for first-time tap users, the process is not that difficult. As you know the kit contains a very short bolt and once it passes through the included lock washer and mounting plate, the depth of the threads is really not that deep at all.

Loctite has many uses and although we wouldn't discourage its use, we do not think it is necessary. We don't have ANY reports of this mounting point becoming loose - even under extreme off-road driving conditions and vibrations.

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Following is the exact quote from the instructions that ship with each kit. Not sure how we can be any more clear on what our recommendation is:

Step 2: Install the Mount into the Jeep
Remove the trim screw as shown in Figure 1 using a T20 Torx screwdriver. Using a 3/8-16 tap, thread the boss for the short bolt provided in the Cool Tech kit. (Note: Although we prefer you to create these threads using a tap, some owners choose to install this self-threading bolt using a 9/16” socket attached to an electric hammer/driver drill.)

An M10x1.5 tap requires an 8.5mm .3346 pilot hole whereas the boss is an existing .3125 hole. This .3125 is the spec pilot hole for a 3/8-16 tap. The combination of trying to tap an M10 thread into this smaller hole and the fact that the supplied bolt is a 3/8-16 thread is, I suspect, the reason that you had to use additional spacers.
NC, NF or NS thread type? I’m looking at this tap set, but not sure if it’s the correct one.
https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-2634-Piece-Carbon/dp/B003A52UZ0

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Is there a recommended torque when tightening the bolts?
Two ugga duggas? j/k

I just hand tightened it with a socket wrench or ratcheting box wrench. I haven’t had any issues or had it come loose since I installed it last year.

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
I purchased one for Father’s Day. A few things. The cool tech bracket is just a metal plate that creates a flat surface for the NB300 mount. It attaches via a bolt but you do have to create threads with a tap. So you still need to buy a tap and some cutting fluid.

Once it’s in it is very solid (Unlike Velcro) and rattle free (unlike the metal brackets like drake).
H3R recommended the Cool Tech bracket, which was bundled with the NB300 mount, at a good price. Had to go out and buy the tap, and watch a YouTube video on how to do it. Used a few sprays of WD40 and had no trouble. Very clean, and as you suggest, VERY solid. H3R and Cool Tech were a great match.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cool Tech H3R Fire Extinguisher Kit Extinguisher Side View

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i've been trying to talk myself out of buying the black version because i love how they look, but am probably going to cave and get the red one because that's what most people would be looking for.

that black one sure looks great though!

H3R recommended the Cool Tech bracket, which was bundled with the NB300 mount, at a good price. Had to go out and buy the tap, and watch a YouTube video on how to do it. Used a few sprays of WD40 and had no trouble. Very clean, and as you suggest, VERY solid. H3R and Cool Tech were a great match.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cool Tech H3R Fire Extinguisher Kit Extinguisher Side View

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
I just installed this. I had never used a tap. It worked.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
had no problem installing mine either. Just make sure you go nice and slow otherwise the bolt-head can break.

fire extinguisher.jpg
Sponsored