Convince me to keep or sell my 2nd vehicle

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I have a 2021 JLUR purchased 10 months ago. It has an RK 2.5 inch lift and Ko2 C rated 37s. Love it and wouldn't mind daily driving it.

I also have a 2007 Camry, 140k miles, faded paint, rides kind of rough (some suspension issues) but the engine is mechanically decent. True definition of a beater.

I have a ~50 mile daily round trip commute to work to a manufacturing plant and I generally drive my Camry 3 to 4 days a week. Initially, my thought was to keep the Jeep parked till the weekend to keep the miles low for higher resale value on some future date, perhaps in 4 years when the JM debuts. I also like the idea of having a vehicle I can drive to work or suspect places and not care if it gets dinged, scratched or broken into (not that it's an issue at my job, just me having peace of mind). Another benefit is after being in the Camry for a few days, hopping in the Jeep feels exciting and fresh. I guess I'm trying to preserve that 'high', I don't want that feeling to get old.

There are of course a few downsides. If I'm being honest, I prefer to not be in a car that looks old and beat up even if it's reliable transportation. Then there's paying for car insurance and other maintenance on a 2nd vehicle. Not to mention the driveway dance that has to be done when double parked (3 vehicles including my fiancƩ's car).

Before the pandemic, I would probably be able to sell the Camry for $3 to $4k. Now, even a beater like mine I could probably get 5 or 6k for it. I'm starting to wonder now if I'd be much better off selling the Camry, pocketing the cash, investing it for the next 4 years and daily driving the Jeep. Surely I'd come out more ahead that way than I would in resale value of a low mileage JL, right? Are there other factors I could be missing in this thought process that would make you keep or sell the 2nd vehicle?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That car is just a liability at itā€™s age and the condition you describe. Sell it while you can get decent money for it. Donā€™t pocket the cash, pay that money towards your equity.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
That car is just a liability at itā€™s age and the condition you describe. Sell it while you can get decent money for it. Donā€™t pocket the cash, pay that money towards your equity.
Noted on the advice to sell the Camry but I only owe 10k on my Jeep at 0% interest. I wasn't rushing to pay it off since it's free money.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I'd probably keep it but fix the suspension issues. The reason I don't want to give up my sedan is because the ride is so smooth - Jeeps are reserved for the weekend! If you don't want to fix the suspension, then sell - what's the point of a car if it doesn't ride nice? You can get a rough ride in the JL.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Keep the Camry. It's good for at least another 100K. Here in PA we have state inspections, thus you have to keep on top of the suspension, exhaust and brakes. Good thing is, the parts for them are readily available and cheap. A suspension rebuild would be fully loaded struts, sway bar end links, tie rods and control arms. As for the rest of those era of Camrys, they are the true beater car. I see them (here in the rust belt) with 400K on them with the original motor and trans. What is the killer here is rust and thus by the time they hit 20 years, they are spent. This is not with the anal blackstone and designer oil crowd. They just change oil with whatever they get and when they remember to do it (I know it has an oil change reminder).

You own the car and at this point, drive it in the ground.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
This ^^

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I'd probably keep it but fix the suspension issues. The reason I don't want to give up my sedan is because the ride is so smooth - Jeeps are reserved for the weekend! If you don't want to fix the suspension, then sell - what's the point of a car if it doesn't ride nice? You can get a rough ride in the JL.
About 14 mths ago, I put $1500 into it. It had a bunch of issues. The mechanic said it would probably take about $3k to fix everything. I wasn't going to spend $3k repairing a car worth $4k. At the time I had a 2014 JKU and was trying to keep the miles off of it.

For $1500, he got it good enough to where it's safe to drive but I didn't want to put anymore dough into it. I basically only use it for the drive to and from work. If after I get home from work I have other places to go, I jump in the Jeep. The Camry is still marginally smoother than the Jeep though even in its current state.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Keep the Camry. It's good for at least another 100K. Here in PA we have state inspections, thus you have to keep on top of the suspension, exhaust and brakes. Good thing is, the parts for them are readily available and cheap. A suspension rebuild would be fully loaded struts, sway bar end links, tie rods and control arms. As for the rest of those era of Camrys, they are the true beater car. I see them (here in the rust belt) with 400K on them with the original motor and trans. What is the killer here is rust and thus by the time they hit 20 years, they are spent. This is not with the anal blackstone and designer oil crowd. They just change oil with whatever they get and when they remember to do it (I know it has an oil change reminder).

You own the car and at this point, drive it in the ground.
This is my general mindset but I wanted to hear other opinions to make sure there wasn't some big 'aha' I hadn't thought of that would sway my thinking. Thanks for the insight.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I'd say keep it...as I contemplate selling mine. My commute is zero miles. I have a 2014 fusion that's got under 60K on it....and I used to have a commute (about 10 miles). There are a number of them near me on autotrader for $18K and they are SE and S models (mine is a titanium).

What's the gas mileage difference? With your commute that would be the reason I would say to keep it.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I suggest ditching the camry and getting a fun sports car or classic to go to car shows. The Jeep can serve as the trip vehicle / grocery getter. Enjoy life with two fun vehicles.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I'd say keep it...as I contemplate selling mine. My commute is zero miles. I have a 2014 fusion that's got under 60K on it....and I used to have a commute (about 10 miles). There are a number of them near me on autotrader for $18K and they are SE and S models (mine is a titanium).

What's the gas mileage difference? With your commute that would be the reason I would say to keep it.
For some reason this model Camry doesn't have a gas mileage gauge, I'd have to hand calculate it, which I've never done. But I'd say it's probably in the mid 20s per gallon.

As for the Jeep, it hovers between 16 to 18 mpg.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
About 14 mths ago, I put $1500 into it. It had a bunch of issues. The mechanic said it would probably take about $3k to fix everything. I wasn't going to spend $3k repairing a car worth $4k. At the time I had a 2014 JKU and was trying to keep the miles off of it.

For $1500, he got it good enough to where it's safe to drive but I didn't want to put anymore dough into it. I basically only use it for the drive to and from work. If after I get home from work I have other places to go, I jump in the Jeep. The Camry is still marginally smoother than the Jeep though even in its current state.
You also have to think about the jeep. 50 miles a day adds up quick. Would you want that on your jeep? You also have to think about gas. I bet the camry gets 30+ mpg.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I suggest ditching the camry and getting a fun sports car or classic to go to car shows. The Jeep can serve as the trip vehicle / grocery getter. Enjoy life with two fun vehicles.
I'd love this option if the finances allowed it. In my dream world, I'd have a nice car and my Jeep. However, I can't afford a 2nd, pricey vehicle.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
For some reason this model Camry doesn't have a gas mileage gauge, I'd have to hand calculate it, which I've never done. But I'd say it's probably in the mid 20s per gallon.

As for the Jeep, it hovers between 16 to 18 mpg.
So, 10 miles per gallon difference. That's at a guess about $2000 a year in gas difference for the miles mentioned. If you can really get $7K, ditch it. Otherwise you eat those gas savings in lost selling price.

Less than $50 a week to enjoy the ride...
Sponsored