03RMK800

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hello-
Getting ready to put a Rubi take-off on my 2019 JLU Sahara, including the longer FCA LCAs. From reading the forum, I can't tell if I need to round up a coil spring compressor. Most references I have read talk about blocking the frame, using two jacks, and ratchet straps. Should I get a coil spring compressor before I start?
Also, found a post that a 21mm deep socket and 24 mm wrench are required-- thanks to that poster. Got my air wrench, pretty good range of sockets, wrenches, pry bars, jacks, jackstands, etc. Any other tools suggested?
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
when i installed my lift on my jlur i was able to do it all with out the need for a coil compressor, if you remove the the socks the axle should droop low enough that the coil basically just falls out

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I just did mine 2 weeks ago, it is very simple. In fact, I only used one jack stand and just did one tire at a time. Raise up Front Right side until one tire is off the ground, take the tire off, undo Shock and Sway bar link and then lower the axle until spring just falls out. There is no real need to ever even get under the Jeep or take off any additional bolts since you are only doing one side at a time and just letting the axle flex which is what it is meant to do. You absolutely need an 18mm socket though. This is the main nut used on the shock and sway bar link bolts.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I put the back on blocks with the rear tires a few inches off the ground and used two jacks to articulate the ends of the axle... Then I did the same thing at the front.

It made it super easy to take off bolts and line up holes and flex things to remove and install the springs. I used a big torque wrench, an adjustable wrench, an impact driver with a socket adapter and a regular socket wrench and a tie down strap as my only tools (and two scissor jacks & a stack of 2x8 pieces); it was pretty easy really..

I didn't follow any instructions and I'm no mechanic. I only needed the tie down because I couldn't get rear driver's side to flex enough so I unbolted the rear track bar at the axle and I needed the tie down to pull the axle back in place to bolt it back on. Sorry if I'm repeating a common technique, like I said, I didn't follow any instructions... Dive in, what's the worst thing that could happen, right? I did take my time and lowered things down slowly so as to not over stress anything.. You know, be careful and stuff.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Jack, jack stands, ratchet strap, pry bar, 1/4" ratchet, 10mm socket, 1/2" ratchet, 13mm socket, 18mm socket, 21mm socket, 24mm socket, 1/2 box wrench, 13mm box wrench, 18mm box wrench, 21mm box wrench trim removal tool and a torque wrench.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I would highly recommend 4 jack stands in addition to everything listed.

You need to loosen all of the control arm bolts, and then you need to torque them back to spec once everything is done and it is back on the ground. I found it MUCH easier to torque them with both axles on jack stands as it meant I had more room with the wheels off, as well as more clearance under the jeep.

OP
OP

03RMK800

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Thanks for all help. I will have an easier job with all this help. Very glad to have it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!