Sponsored

Converting the Lange Hoist-A-Top into something usable on the JL

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just inherited a Hoist A top from a JK, haven't had a chance to get it installed, glad I found this thread! Having a 2 dr JL, anything else I have to worry about since OP has a 4 dr??
I like the idea of having the rear glass shut but not if there's extra stress there, that Topsy option looks like the way to go if keeping the rear glass shut won't create any issues.
Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Do you guys know if there is any difference between the Lange JL/JK power lifts other than that rear hook? I ask because I'm looking at buying one for a JLU, and it costs $100 more than the JKU version. If I'm going to convert it with the Topsy kit and t-bar anyway, is there any reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper JK lift?
^^ This ^^ Anyone?

Mangoman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Pharma R&D
I converted my Lange from a JK 2 door to a JL 4 door hoist with the Topsy kit. It makes the “T” into an “H” or “I” and uses the rear window hinge brackets. Easy...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m using my JK Lange kit on the JL with one simple modification. I bent the rear hook at the same angle of the new roof lip and the back up into the bar. I do have to unbolt the hook and slide the hook from the bottom of the top and then refasten to the bar. Adds about 1 minute to my removal.

image.jpg
Thanks @Microday did the same slight modification to that window hook and seems to work fine as long as the window is up, top is angled a bit when lifted, even on the last hole, but I imagine if I put the Freedom Panels on top it will level it out. :)

top off 2.jpg

20200417_183024_HDR.jpg

top off 1.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Well as it happens I found a JK lange hoist on CL and thought "what a find!"

Now the Topsy brackets are sold out? Bummer.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well as it happens I found a JK lange hoist on CL and thought "what a find!"

Now the Topsy brackets are sold out? Bummer.
If you have room to keep the rear window up when lifted you can do what @Microday & I did, works just fine!

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Great write up OP.

I just ordered the Lange power hoist yesterday. Does anyone know if they have “improved” the back hook since the time of the last post in here?

Went to topsy products already and seen they do have the set up now for the Lange (out of stock at the moment)

juts thought I’d check if anyone here knows, or anyone who’s just purchased the Lange recently can chime in on that back bracket.

if not I’ll grab the attachment from topsy for the conversion (just a shame to have to spend extra money when the Lange hoist itself isn’t cheap)

thanks in advance

Jay

hoodie

First Name
Case
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
A cautionary tale for anyone switching from a JK to a JL with a Lange Hoist-A-Top hardtop lift. I had the Lange on my JK for 3 years and it worked really well. No issues and always felt comfortable with how it hung with the JK top.

Fast forward to October when I purchased my current JL and wanted to use the lift with the new Jeep. I spent the $100 to buy the JL conversion kit and couldn’t believe the garbage setup they sent over. The rear hook is now massive and has to be unscrewed from the lifting blade every single time you want to use it. The hook also crimps the rear window seal really badly and pushes against the inside of the hardtop with such force that it was messing up the hardtop liner and digging into the hardtop. The front hooks never sat squarely inside the hardtop either. They were basically clamping onto the outside instead of lifting from the inside. The rear glass also had to be kept open as the hook pushed up against the rear glass if it was closed. Looked like an accident waiting to happen. For $100, it was a complete joke. A horrible hook and a couple pieces of foam.

Jeep Wrangler JL Converting the Lange Hoist-A-Top into something usable on the JL top off 1

I spoke with the folks at Topsy back in October and they told me they were working on an adapter bar to be able to use their awesome hard top brackets with the Lange. The hooks basically install over the rear hinge bolts on the hardtop and don't put any stress on the glass. The hardtop can be left closed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Converting the Lange Hoist-A-Top into something usable on the JL top off 1

The Topsy Lange T-Bar adapter basically takes the place of the single rear hook on the Lange lifting blade and gives it two rear lift points to be used with the Topsy straps. These straps clip into the Topsy brackets.

This took care of the rear nicely, but up front, I still wasn't happy with how the Lange hooks sat inside the hardtop. I ended up buying some stainless eyebolts and replaced the hooks with those. The Topsy front strap now just clips into the eyebolts and lifts across the entire hardtop instead of pinch points with the Lange hooks. The other nice thing is since I'm using the straps rather than hooks, I was able to adjust the width of the front bar to the narrowest setting making the arms much more stable.

This is how it sits in the garage - These pics were taken before I swapped the front eyebolts out, but its MUCH MUCH more stable and so much better on the rear of the hardtop.

Long story short, don’t waste your money on upgrading your existing Lange with the Lange kit. It’s junk. Even if you do buy the Lange (the lifting blade and hoist are GREAT!) replace the hooks with the Topsy products! Get the Topsy bar adapter and strap kit for about the same amount of $ (slightly less) and call it a day.

http://topsyproducts.com/products/hinge_hook_hoist_bracket

Cheers.
Apologies on reviving this old thread but I recently upgraded my Lange with Topsy products. I'm curious if the OP has pictures of the eye bolts and Topsy strap for reference. Curious to see how it sets with the Lange width span reduced. Thanks in advance for the help.

Wrangler4fun

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sport S Diesel & 09 Subaru Impreza WRX
Occupation
Computer Systems Overlord
Clubs

Apologies on reviving this old thread but I recently upgraded my Lange with Topsy products. I'm curious if the OP has pictures of the eye bolts and Topsy strap for reference. Curious to see how it sets with the Lange width span reduced. Thanks in advance for the help.
Bump on this request too.
I would also be interested in hearing a review of how’s it going since OP started using it for the last couple years. I’m looking at grabbing used hoist with Lange bracket and then picking up Topsy “upgrade. “

Sponsored

Farkie3

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Anyone use the Lange with the Topsy upgrade with a pioneer platform & Rhino rack backbone on their hardtop. Is there enough clearance if you don’t use the foam freedom top storage system?

FerrdIsTheWord

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm not the OP but I can tell you that it's a GREAT upgrade. Taking the top off feels more stable than it did with the Lange bracket. I'm not sure what you mean about reduced width span though.
Sponsored