Converting the Lange Hoist-A-Top into something usable on the JL

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S, 03 Toyota 4Runner, Infiniti G37, Toyota T100 (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Just inherited a Hoist A top from a JK, haven't had a chance to get it installed, glad I found this thread! Having a 2 dr JL, anything else I have to worry about since OP has a 4 dr??
I like the idea of having the rear glass shut but not if there's extra stress there, that Topsy option looks like the way to go if keeping the rear glass shut won't create any issues.

Advertisement

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Do you guys know if there is any difference between the Lange JL/JK power lifts other than that rear hook? I ask because I'm looking at buying one for a JLU, and it costs $100 more than the JKU version. If I'm going to convert it with the Topsy kit and t-bar anyway, is there any reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper JK lift?
^^ This ^^ Anyone?

Mangoman

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Pharma R&D
I converted my Lange from a JK 2 door to a JL 4 door hoist with the Topsy kit. It makes the “T” into an “H” or “I” and uses the rear window hinge brackets. Easy...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S, 03 Toyota 4Runner, Infiniti G37, Toyota T100 (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
I’m using my JK Lange kit on the JL with one simple modification. I bent the rear hook at the same angle of the new roof lip and the back up into the bar. I do have to unbolt the hook and slide the hook from the bottom of the top and then refasten to the bar. Adds about 1 minute to my removal.

image.jpg
Thanks @Microday did the same slight modification to that window hook and seems to work fine as long as the window is up, top is angled a bit when lifted, even on the last hole, but I imagine if I put the Freedom Panels on top it will level it out. :)

top off 2.jpg

20200417_183024_HDR.jpg

top off 1.jpg

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Edition JLR
Build Thread
Link
Well as it happens I found a JK lange hoist on CL and thought "what a find!"

Now the Topsy brackets are sold out? Bummer.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well as it happens I found a JK lange hoist on CL and thought "what a find!"

Now the Topsy brackets are sold out? Bummer.
If you have room to keep the rear window up when lifted you can do what @Microday & I did, works just fine!

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Edition JLR
Build Thread
Link
If you have room to keep the rear window up when lifted you can do what @Microday & I did, works just fine!

Topsy brackets were back in stock and now I have them on the way. :party:

Advertisement

Teraflex

Advertisement