Contacted Jeep Customer Service on sketchy pricing of the XR Package

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We would want to consider the price difference from the 33s to the 35s; not just the stand alone value since no one would order a jeep w/ out these when buying new wouldn't we?
And that is my point of my original rabbit hole, a 6.4L is not worth $15-20k on its own, let alone on top of whichever engine it would be replacing from a non-392. Sometimes you are just paying for the premium. 4.56 gears cost jeep $0 more than 3.45 or 4.10. The fact is, if you don't buy them from them you are looking at $2k minimum. Good luck selling those factory gears you pull out. At least when upgrading tires, the take offs have some value.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
We would want to consider the price difference from the 33s to the 35s; not just the stand alone value since no one would order a jeep w/ out these when buying new wouldn't we?
i am considering that. The factory tires cost about 1300 if you bought them at MSRP. The wheels alone I cannot get an exact number on because these are bronze. The black and silver version of those wheels are 400 each, or more. Takeoff factory wheels may be worth more than 1k from the 392 if you can find a buyer. I would call it a 1,000 dollar wheel upgrade.
315/70R17ā€™s are nearly 400 a piece nowadays. Crazy. Thatā€™s a difference of 600-700 dollars before tax.

The convenience of not having to find a buyer for the removed parts is worth at least 500 to me.
The question lies in the suspension. Whatā€™s the deal with the shocks? How about the springs?

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
i am considering that. The factory tires cost about 1300 if you bought them at MSRP. The wheels alone I cannot get an exact number on because these are bronze. The black and silver version of those wheels are 400 each, or more. Takeoff factory wheels may be worth more than 1k from the 392 if you can find a buyer. I would call it a 1,000 dollar wheel upgrade.
315/70R17ā€™s are nearly 400 a piece nowadays. Crazy. Thatā€™s a difference of 600-700 dollars before tax.

The convenience of not having to find a buyer for the removed parts is worth at least 500 to me.
The question lies in the suspension. Whatā€™s the deal with the shocks? How about the springs?
TY;
good to see a bit of math on it, even if it is not exact.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I understand, but itā€™s not moot. Iā€™m not the only buyer. There are a lot of people that are getting the shaft. In reality, it appears I paid $3300 for the package, because I ordered a 21 without it, cancelled that order and submitted a 22 with XR built the same plus XR. $83400 MSRP I believe, and paying $74922.67
I agree that people are getting screwed, but they are lining up to do it.
Edit- Dakota Customs makes a kit but engine sold separately.

Sponsored

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
If you feel you are getting screwed, you can take your money elsewhere. Your wallet will speak much louder than your keyboard.
Iā€™m aware of what I can doā€¦ Iā€™m also Jeepā€™s biggest fan that just wants to see their bean counters wake the F up. Enough is enough. Had 2 price increases in the short time it took to have my 2018 JL built, had a price increase in the 60 days it took to build my 21 4XE, and already thereā€™s bound to be more in the near future. So look here, when a Wrangler fully optioned comes out higher priced than a loaded F450 Diesel, whoā€™s the buyer at that point in time? I can tell ya, even their #1 fan wonā€™t, so maybe possibly a little feedback canā€™t hurtā€¦.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Iā€™m aware of what I can doā€¦ Iā€™m also Jeepā€™s biggest fan that just wants to see their bean counters wake the F up. Enough is enough. Had 2 price increases in the short time it took to have my 2018 JL built, had a price increase in the 60 days it took to build my 21 4XE, and already thereā€™s bound to be more in the near future. So look here, when a Wrangler fully optioned comes out higher priced than a loaded F450 Diesel, whoā€™s the buyer at that point in time? I can tell ya, even their #1 fan wonā€™t, so maybe possibly a little feedback canā€™t hurtā€¦.
I think the bean counters are wide awake. They canā€™t build 392s as fast as they can sell them. I think they also realize that most 392 buyers wonā€™t blink over the couple grand discrepancies of the XR on the 392 vs other trims. In the V8 super SUV market coming stock with 35s, they truly stand alone. Until something like maybe a Bronco Raptor/warthog comes along, or they stop making sales, they have ZERO incentive to change the pricing structure. The fact that dealers have been able to sell 392s with significant dealer mark up further validates the point.
Iā€™m sure it feels nice to feel heard, but I can promise you the bean counters canā€™t hear your message over those purchase orders.

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I think the bean counters are wide awake. They canā€™t build 392s as fast as they can sell them. I think they also realize that most 392 buyers wonā€™t blink over the couple grand discrepancies of the XR on the 392 vs other trims. In the V8 super SUV market coming stock with 35s, they truly stand alone. Until something like maybe a Bronco Raptor/warthog comes along, or they stop making sales, they have ZERO incentive to change the pricing structure. The fact that dealers have been able to sell 392s with significant dealer mark up further validates the point.
Iā€™m sure it feels nice to feel heard, but I can promise you the bean counters canā€™t hear your message over those purchase orders.
No doubt! But Iā€™d still like to see this BS continue when the crazy ā€œeverything sellsā€ mentality and interest rates being locked in pretty low for 1 1/2 years now goes away. All of that lets up, itā€™s look the F out bean counters. This is exactly what happened back in late 2009-2011ish when trucks were starting to push that $50K envelope easily. The bean counters wanted that $$$ but it didnā€™t work out like that at all for them because the market didnā€™t play their games and we were in a financial crisis. A lot like what we have coming right around the corner IMO, just for many other reasons this time around. So anyways, Iā€™ll be fine, Iā€™m happy as can beā€¦ yada yada yadaā€¦.I Just dropped a line in their ears that we see it. But if it werenā€™t for the awesome dealer that knocked it down 10% for me, I wouldnā€™t have come close to signing up for a $83400 Wrangler. Sub $75K is right priced. Still not ā€œincredible valueā€ like a C8 LT1 is, but ā€œdoableā€. Not an ounce more for what it is.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
So you bought the 392 to be a mediocre sports car? Got it. My point all along was you're over here crying about being overcharged for the XR package when you were way over charged for the 392 to start with. You do realize a scat pack is $11k over a base model challenger right? You paid $25k over a similarly equipped diesel Rubicon for an engine, a sticker, and some bronze accents. Buy the xr if you think mediocre 35's and goofy fender lips are worth $4k, or don't. I bet they don't lower the price.
LOL! Wrong guy! I'm not crying about 4K for XR package.......... maybe you should reread my post. I only stated facts and I agree that there is no value for the buyer on XR. I also said they wont lower the price because they are in business to make money and that's ok. its a option. Never wanted Jeep to lower the price and never asked them to. I absolutely know why they have it priced where it is and to be honest it is good business on their part. High profit margin and many will be happy with the purchase because of what it is on what it is on.

Yes I bought a 392 because it is exactly that, a mediocre sports SUV. Your starting to get it now. It should not exist. It has way more power than it needs, it's very animated, front end jumps up, ass end squats, It gets loud, steering is loose and it moves around on the road and ............. I love it. It should not be fast because it is a brick in the air with solid axles. What is better than that?

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
LOL! Wrong guy! I'm not crying about 4K for XR package.......... maybe you should reread my post. I only stated facts and I agree that there is no value for the buyer on XR. I also said they wont lower the price because they are in business to make money and that's ok. its a option. Never wanted Jeep to lower the price and never asked them to. I absolutely know why they have it priced where it is and to be honest it is good business on their part. High profit margin and many will be happy with the purchase because of what it is on what it is on.

Yes I bought a 392 because it is exactly that, a mediocre sports SUV. Your starting to get it now. It should not exist. It has way more power than it needs, it's very animated, front end jumps up, ass end squats, It gets loud, steering is loose and it moves around on the road and ............. I love it. It should not be fast because it is a brick in the air with solid axles. What is better than that?
Itā€™s funnyā€¦ People that love to bash the 392 (and the people that buy them,) keep throwing that comment around, that we somehow made a mistake and bought a ā€œmediocre sports carā€, like thatā€™s an insult.

But I think they miss the point entirelyā€¦ Itā€™s still a Rubicon, which is an astonishingly capable off road vehicle in its own right, it just happens to also be an incredibly FAST Rubicon, that is absurdly fun to drive!

On road, and off!

With a full warranty!

And whether or not itā€™s overpriced is a completely subjective question, that really only matters to the person thatā€™s contemplating buying one.

If you feel it isnā€™t, then buy it.

If you feel it is, then donā€™t.

It really is that simple.

Also, comparing to a modified base model is silly, because most people who want a Rubicon, arenā€™t buying base models.

And for the love of god, stop saying that itā€™s a 30k up-charge just for the Hemi. Take out a calculator, and compare it an EQUALLY optioned Rubicon.

And as has been stated more times than any human can even count, it ALSO comes with a ton of changes to things like the drivetrain, the transmission, the frame, the brakes, and to the cooling system that you donā€™t get if you do it at home, because unlike any other version of the JL, it was actually designed for a V8!

So you if you want to do it right, and do it yourself, you have to account for the cost of all of those enhancements as well.

And everyone who goes there loves to also ignore the obvious, glaring flaw in that comparison, that even without adding those enhancements to reliably accommodate a V8 in a vehicle that wasnā€™t designed to have one, you can only get to that theoretical price you claim it would cost, by doing EVERY OUNCE, and every minute of labor yourself.

Now, Iā€™m sure there is a decent percentage of people here that are fully capable of doing every part of that transformation themselves, but realistically, most will end up paying someone to do most of it.

And regardless of who does it, you wonā€™t have a warranty for when something expensive on your Jeep breaks, or gets destroyed by that huge new engine, and itā€™s huge jump in power.

Nor will you have the resale value of a factory version, so you have to add both of those potential losses to your TOTAL cost of doing it yourself.

Do the math on all of those variables, add it to the cost of an equally equipped, brand new 22 Rubicon Unlimited.

Then you will at least have a full, and accurate assessment of whether or not itā€™s still ā€œcheaperā€ to buy a 6.4 liter Hemi and install it yourself.

Again, without a warranty.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Itā€™s funnyā€¦ People that love to bash the 392 (and the people that buy them,) keep throwing that comment around, that we somehow made a mistake and bought a ā€œmediocre sports carā€, like thatā€™s an insult.

But I think they miss the point entirelyā€¦ Itā€™s still a Rubicon, which is an astonishingly capable off road vehicle in its own right, it just happens to also be an incredibly FAST Rubicon, that is absurdly fun to drive.

On road, and off!

With a full warranty!

And whether or not itā€™s overpriced is a completely subjective question, that really only matters to the person thatā€™s contemplating buying one.

And for the love of god, stop saying that itā€™s a 30k up-charge just for the Hemi. Take out a calculator, and compare it an EQUALLY optioned Rubicon. And as has been stated more times than any human can even count, it ALSO comes with a ton changes to the drivetrain, to the transmission, to the frame, to the brakes, and to the cooling system that you donā€™t get if you do it at home, because unlike any other version of the JL, it was actually designed for a V8!

So you if you want to do it right, and do it yourself, you have to account for the cost of all of those enhancements as well.

And everyone who goes there loves to also ignore the obvious, glaring flaw in that comparison, that even without adding those enhancements to reliably accommodate a V8 in a vehicle that wasnā€™t designed to have one, you can only get to that theoretical price you claim it would cost, by doing EVERY OUNCE, and every minute of labor yourself.

Now, Iā€™m sure there is a decent percentage of people here that are fully capable of doing every part of that transformation themselves, but realistically, most will end up paying someone to do most of it.

And regardless of who does it, you wonā€™t have a warranty for when something expensive on your Jeep breaks, or gets destroyed by that huge new engine, and itā€™s huge jump in power.

Nor will you have the resale value of a factory version, so you have to add both of those potential losses to your TOTAL cost of doing it yourself.

Do the math on all of those variables, add it to the cost of an equally equipped, brand new 22 Rubicon Unlimited.

Then you will at least have a full, and accurate assessment of whether or not itā€™s still ā€œcheaperā€ to buy a 6.4 liter Hemi and install it yourself.

You are mostly right, although the majority of the drivetrain upgrades are just carry overs from the diesel as they are more about weight than being "designed for a v8". Transmission is the same, transfer case is the same, only they eliminated 2wd (not an upgrade), knuckles, even the cv shafts aren't unique, every JL rubicon with the full time 4wd option has them. Now with the xr, plain Jane 3.6L buyers get the same knuckles, brakes, etc. That doesn't make it a bad vehicle, but I don't see it as a $15-20k upgrade over a loaded diesel or xr Rubicon. In my opinion a chunk of that price is novelty and paying a "top shelf" premium. Complaining about "sketchy pricing" on add ons to a vehicle you've already shown a willingness to over pay for just seems silly is all.

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR

But I think they miss the point entirelyā€¦ Itā€™s still a Rubicon, which is an astonishingly capable off road vehicle in its own right, it just happens to also be an incredibly FAST Rubicon, that is absurdly fun to drive!

On road, and off!

With a full warranty!

Also, comparing to a modified base model is silly, because most people who want a Rubicon, arenā€™t buying base models.

And for the love of god, stop saying that itā€™s a 30k up-charge just for the Hemi. Take out a calculator, and compare it an EQUALLY optioned Rubicon.

And as has been stated more times than any human can even count, it ALSO comes with a ton of changes to things like the drivetrain, the transmission, the frame, the brakes, and to the cooling system that you donā€™t get if you do it at home, because unlike any other version of the JL, it was actually designed for a V8!

The most intelligent thing Iā€™ve read on a forum!

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Hereā€™s what I had to say:

Greetings! Iā€™m writing, because I wanted to bring forward a complaint on behalf of several would be and about to be 392 Xtreme Recon Jeep owners. Without providing every single detail a typical Jeep buyer from a forum community knows (a lot), we would like to at least make it known that we all see the $3995 Xtreme Recon pricing is completely unfair for 392 buyers due to the fact that numerous upgrades like the heavier duty brake, axles, lift kit, iron steering knuckles, etc are already fitted to the vehicle. On non-392 Rubicons and Willys Jeeps that receive the $3995 Xtreme Recon package will get all of those upgrades as well. So why wouldnā€™t they be priced differently? Your competitor, Ford, charges less for the Sasquatch package on certain trims that already had key components so that they donā€™t go overcharging their customers. Your 392 buyers (me and a lot of others) are your most loyal customers and we truly hate seeing this, knowing that there are executives and decision makers that know this already. Please provide a fix for this. My order is in, but surely you can figure this one out for your loyal customer base. Thank you for your time. Please ensure this reaches the appropriate eyes
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

I mean, am I wrong? I had this thought right away when i saw the pricing on my build sheet and cross referenced it to the current price on a standard Rubicon with XR. Then I read it on this forum that a few others have caught this. I think itā€™s definitely an issue to stand up to the execs on. Like, Iā€™m supposed to pay for the lift and all that twice? Sheesh
I would agree - I donā€™t know why the 392 XR package is the same price as the non-392, when many of the items that the regular Rubicon owners are getting as part of their XR package are already on the 392. Basically, 392 owners are getting comparatively ripped off.

I was holding judgment as I had heard the 392 XR maybe have some other items included, but seems it is just an extra brake vacuum assist booster and the Ralph and Louie logos (that I think the non-392 gets).

will wait to hear how different the shocks or springs are (i imagine given the weight difference) but donā€™t think that will be incremental.

so basically a bit more profit / price gouging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I would agree - I donā€™t know why the 392 XR package is the same price as the non-392, when many of the items that the regular Rubicon owners are getting as part of the 392 XR package are already on the 392. Basically, 392 owners are getting comparatively ripped off.

I was holding judgment as I had heard the 392 XR maybe have some other items included, but seems it is just an extra brake vacuum assist booster and the Ralph and Louie logos (that I think the non-392 gets).

will wait to hear how different the shocks or springs are (i imagine given the weight difference) but donā€™t think that will be incremental.

so basically a bit more profit / price gouging.
Exactly. Itā€™s not that Iā€™m over here being ā€œsillyā€ about this. Itā€™s just a simple example of right vs wrong. If they care, they will slow their roll a little as the completion is hearing up and customers demand more value. If they donā€™t care, the price will stay that way and continue to rise while cross shopping customers begin moving to other machines of interest, such as a Raptor Bronco, Hummer Electric, Maxed out diesel truck, loaded C8, Land Rover, Lotus Emira, cybertruck, Rivian, Ford Raptor F150, hell maybe even Raptor R territoryā€¦ Thereā€™s just so many fun vehicle options after the $80K barrier. I broke $80K on the MSRP, but would never pay that.

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Itā€™s been kinda funny reading some of these posts ā€¦ total Internet forum arguments; like there really is a right answer.

IMO, @Rob97RR nailed it: ā€œAnd whether or not itā€™s overpriced is a completely subjective question, that really only matters to the person thatā€™s contemplating buying one.

It really is that simple.ā€

Literally- it really is that simple; the only question is ā€œis it worth it to you?ā€ and only you can answer that question.

For me personally, itā€™s about more than just the Jeep. The 392XR effectively allows me to have a trail rig I love without all the time and headaches of a full build and engine swap (which I have done). Iā€™ll kill a day installing 37s, a winch and skids and call it good. As I see it, Iā€™m effectively buying back my build time and buying down my headaches - and that is worth a lot to me.

so, for me, hell yeah ā€¦ Give me a big HP, lifted Rubicon from the factory on 35s with a warranty with which i can run 95%+ of trails and is a hoot to drive getting there. Iā€™ll pay. šŸ˜šŸ˜€šŸ˜‰
Sponsored