Contacted Jeep Customer Service on sketchy pricing of the XR Package

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Maybe you could find a set of dana 60's with e-lockers for 15,500 but we did not list everything. You will need wiring harnesses, exhaust, Tune, drive shafts front and rear, list goes on and on. Not saying you could not do it but it just is not practical to build it when you can buy it at the same price point.

Now if I was building a rig to run the king of hammers or fordyce I would just build a buggy. Not a JL.
Your 392 doesn't have 60's, since that is your sticking point. Buy Rubicon take offs for $3-4k and building just became far cheaper? Hemi swaps are nothing new, the 392 isn't some unicorn that will be worth $1million one day. It's an over powered rig on under built axles if you actually use it. Realistically it's more likely to be valet parked next to other luxury SUVS than ever see a black diamond trail so the axle shafts should hold up.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Zach, I laugh but that is not far from the truth in the case of most buyers. I'm of the opinion it is too heavy to do any serious wheeling. Add in a set of 60's and it will be pushing past the GVWR.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Your 392 doesn't have 60's, since that is your sticking point. Buy Rubicon take offs for $3-4k and building just became far cheaper? Hemi swaps are nothing new, the 392 isn't some unicorn that will be worth $1million one day. It's an over powered rig on under built axles if you actually use it. Realistically it's more likely to be valet parked next to other luxury SUVS than ever see a black diamond trail so the axle shafts should hold up.
You are the one who brought up the 60's not me, that was when you were saying how you could build a better Jeep for less money remember? That brings us to my point that no not really without labor cost and if your time was free you could maybe brake even with a ass ton of work involved oh and you get no warranty lol! That's a fairy tail you guy's who don't like the 392 tell yourselves before you go to sleep at night.

I guess somewhere along the way I lost your point you are trying to make. We were talking about value of the XR on the 392 and that went to the value of the 392 itself. I know exactly what the 392 is, it is not a built dedicated trail rig. I'm not sure you understand why we buy them. I did not nor did any one else to build it to that level.

I think in someway in your mind this is how you reason that you don't need it. That's fine. I agree it is not a good purchase to build into a dedicated trail rig. I don't think I have read where any of the owners bought it for that. To be honest if you can afford this Jeep you can afford to also have a built rig for trail purpose if that's what you want.

If I was going to build for that I would have built a buggy like I said above. I have my JK for a trail rig if I want to use that. The 392 is not my only toy, the JK has Ripp supercharger, axles with a 4.5" RK suspension and run trails all over the country. That is not why I bought this 392 Jeep. My JK does not need a Hemi to run trails or I would have put one in it.

So yes you may find mine one day parked at the Valet but more likely you will find it next to you at the read light hauling ass when the light turns green. On the trial you would probably see my JK.

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21RUB392, 97Vipr,14Porsc 911,06Ford GT,64Vette etc
Here’s what I had to say:

Greetings! I’m writing, because I wanted to bring forward a complaint on behalf of several would be and about to be 392 Xtreme Recon Jeep owners. Without providing every single detail a typical Jeep buyer from a forum community knows (a lot), we would like to at least make it known that we all see the $3995 Xtreme Recon pricing is completely unfair for 392 buyers due to the fact that numerous upgrades like the heavier duty brake, axles, lift kit, iron steering knuckles, etc are already fitted to the vehicle. On non-392 Rubicons and Willys Jeeps that receive the $3995 Xtreme Recon package will get all of those upgrades as well. So why wouldn’t they be priced differently? Your competitor, Ford, charges less for the Sasquatch package on certain trims that already had key components so that they don’t go overcharging their customers. Your 392 buyers (me and a lot of others) are your most loyal customers and we truly hate seeing this, knowing that there are executives and decision makers that know this already. Please provide a fix for this. My order is in, but surely you can figure this one out for your loyal customer base. Thank you for your time. Please ensure this reaches the appropriate eyes
…………………………….

I mean, am I wrong? I had this thought right away when i saw the pricing on my build sheet and cross referenced it to the current price on a standard Rubicon with XR. Then I read it on this forum that a few others have caught this. I think it’s definitely an issue to stand up to the execs on. Like, I’m supposed to pay for the lift and all that twice? Sheesh
100%. The XR upcharge does not give a credit for existing equipment on the 392. A couple of other ordering tips are the plastic mud mats and the black satin grill. Both OEM parts can be had for less than the installed option price AND you get to keep the replacement part (carpet mats and color matched grill).

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You are the one who brought up the 60's not me, that was when you were saying how you could build a better Jeep for less money remember? That brings us to my point that no not really without labor cost and if your time was free you could maybe brake even with a ass ton of work involved oh and you get no warranty lol! That's a fairy tail you guy's who don't like the 392 tell yourselves before you go to sleep at night.

I guess somewhere along the way I lost your point you are trying to make. We were talking about value of the XR on the 392 and that went to the value of the 392 itself. I know exactly what the 392 is, it is not a built dedicated trail rig. I'm not sure you understand why we buy them. I did not nor did any one else to build it to that level.

I think in someway in your mind this is how you reason that you don't need it. That's fine. I agree it is not a good purchase to build into a dedicated trail rig. I don't think I have read where any of the owners bought it for that. To be honest if you can afford this Jeep you can afford to also have a built rig for trail purpose if that's what you want.

If I was going to build for that I would have built a buggy like I said above. I have my JK for a trail rig if I want to use that. The 392 is not my only toy, the JK has Ripp supercharger, axles with a 4.5" RK suspension and run trails all over the country. That is not why I bought this 392 Jeep. My JK does not need a Hemi to run trails or I would have put one in it.

So yes you may find mine one day parked at the Valet but more likely you will find it next to you at the read light hauling ass when the light turns green. On the trial you would probably see my JK.
So you bought the 392 to be a mediocre sports car? Got it. My point all along was you're over here crying about being overcharged for the XR package when you were way over charged for the 392 to start with. You do realize a scat pack is $11k over a base model challenger right? You paid $25k over a similarly equipped diesel Rubicon for an engine, a sticker, and some bronze accents. Buy the xr if you think mediocre 35's and goofy fender lips are worth $4k, or don't. I bet they don't lower the price.

Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I would say they are caring about their customers better than Jeep.
Really? Take a look at the crap they are pulling on the reservation holders who have ordered from smaller dealerships:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...on-no-one-said-it-was-going-to-be-easy.25052/

Talk about screwing your most loyal customers. It could take 'til '25 or '26 for some of these folks to get a vehicle they ordered in 2020.

They stated on another thread that FCA does not count customer orders against their allocation limit (they have 150+ Ram trucks on order for example), so the only delay in ordering a jeep from them is manufacturing time.

Ford is actually pushing people into Wranglers, Gladiators, and 4Runners with these dinosaur business tactics...

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
So you bought the 392 to be a mediocre sports car? Got it. My point all along was you're over here crying about being overcharged for the XR package when you were way over charged for the 392 to start with. You do realize a scat pack is $11k over a base model challenger right? You paid $25k over a similarly equipped diesel Rubicon for an engine, a sticker, and some bronze accents. Buy the xr if you think mediocre 35's and goofy fender lips are worth $4k, or don't. I bet they don't lower the price.
Your numbers are skewed and very far off

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Your numbers are skewed and very far off
Probably closer to $20k, $65k for a loaded ecodiesel $85k with the same options in a 392 according to the configurator. We will ignore the fact that getting a deal on the diesel is far easier at most dealers. If you're talking challenger numbers, $29.9k base, $41k scat base.

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Probably closer to $20k, $65k for a loaded ecodiesel $85k with the same options in a 392 according to the configurator. We will ignore the fact that getting a deal on the diesel is far easier at most dealers. If you're talking challenger numbers, $29.9k base, $41k scat base.
Getting to $85K on a 392 pretty much requires the XR package. Try $15K difference between 3.6 and 392 equipped alike. But the point of this thread is also pretty far off from what all is going on here on page 2 and beyond.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I agree it is not a good purchase to build into a dedicated trail rig. I don't think I have read where any of the owners bought it for that. To be honest if you can afford this Jeep you can afford to also have a built rig for trail purpose if that's what you want.
I imagine it's very rare to see any model of a Wrangler JL as a devoted trail rig. The definition of a dedicated trail rig is one that is trailered to and from the off road area.

the JK has Ripp supercharger, axles with a 4.5" RK suspension and run trails all over the country
A supercharger on a trail rig? Interesting. Never seen a supercharged Wrangler being used as a rock crawler.

But the point of this thread is also pretty far off from what all is going on here on page 2 and beyond.
It's all part of the discussion. And a lot of good points are made. Bottom line is the 392 Wrangler is going to be overpriced and there is not much you can do about it. No doubt is is going to be bad ass. However the price of admission is going to be costly. As well as the upkeep, repairs, and maintenance over the life of the rig.

The 392, diesel and 4XE were rushed into production to compete with market share of other manufacturers. Just the fact that the 392's only available with the 4:1 Roc-Trac tells me something is off. Also the software being programed to only full time 4wd is a bandaid approach to prevent running gear damage.

My personal opinion is the 4XE, 392 and diesel models are too overweight to be taken seriously for a truly capable JL that is as comfortable rock crawling as it is on the street.

I compare the regular 2.0/3.6 Rubicon JL to my Beta Dual sport. The 392/diesel/4Xe are more akin to my Super Tenere.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
correct. That’s why it is a good idea to shop around and get 10% off your Jeep. Don’t think for a second I’m an MSRP buyer. Never have never will.
If you really got 10% off your order, then your point about the $4k XR package is moot.
I agree with the sentiment though.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Really? Take a look at the crap they are pulling on the reservation holders who have ordered from smaller dealerships:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...on-no-one-said-it-was-going-to-be-easy.25052/

Talk about screwing your most loyal customers. It could take 'til '25 or '26 for some of these folks to get a vehicle they ordered in 2020.

They stated on another thread that FCA does not count customer orders against their allocation limit (they have 150+ Ram trucks on order for example), so the only delay in ordering a jeep from them is manufacturing time.

Ford is actually pushing people into Wranglers, Gladiators, and 4Runners with these dinosaur business tactics...
That's interesting. Ford really screwing the pooch here. And for a dealer to say Bronco Sport sales are their 'biggest opportunity' is laughable. It is basically a rebadged Escape, good luck with that.

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
If you really got 10% off your order, then your point about the $4k XR package is moot.
I agree with the sentiment though.
I understand, but it’s not moot. I’m not the only buyer. There are a lot of people that are getting the shaft. In reality, it appears I paid $3300 for the package, because I ordered a 21 without it, cancelled that order and submitted a 22 with XR built the same plus XR. $83400 MSRP I believe, and paying $74922.67

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I imagine it's very rare to see any model of a Wrangler JL as a devoted trail rig. The definition of a dedicated trail rig is one that is trailered to and from the off road area.

A supercharger on a trail rig? Interesting. Never seen a supercharged Wrangler being used as a rock crawler.

It's all part of the discussion. And a lot of good points are made. Bottom line is the 392 Wrangler is going to be overpriced and there is not much you can do about it. No doubt is is going to be bad ass. However the price of admission is going to be costly. As well as the upkeep, repairs, and maintenance over the life of the rig.

The 392, diesel and 4XE were rushed into production to compete with market share of other manufacturers. Just the fact that the 392's only available with the 4:1 Roc-Trac tells me something is off. Also the software being programed to only full time 4wd is a bandaid approach to prevent running gear damage.

My personal opinion is the 4XE, 392 and diesel models are too overweight to be taken seriously for a truly capable JL that is as comfortable rock crawling as it is on the street.

I compare the regular 2.0/3.6 Rubicon JL to my Beta Dual sport. The 392/diesel/4Xe are more akin to my Super Tenere.
You’d be a fool to buy a new JL as a dedicated trail rig/trailer queen. My wife daily drives ours to work. We also road trip it on multiple 2-3k mile trips every year, and it gets run through trails like the rubicon, the dusy, etc. Obviously there are compromises from any singular purpose, but for its use it is built just the way we want. Shines up nice/looks good in the executive lot/can be used for client lunches, cruises along at 85mph while still getting 16mpg for hours at a time, and does great on all types of terrain. The 2.0t has been great for 43k miles so far. I think the XR package is a deal simply for the wheels and gears, you’d spend at least as much to get beadlock capable 8.5” wide wheels and gears from the aftermarket. The tailgate reenforcement and tire relocation kit are necessary for a 37” tire. If I were ordering new, I’d go XR knowing full well I’d be ditching the KO2’s and silly fender lips day 1.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Just don’t get it? The wheels and tires are worth about 3500 on their own. The marketing on the option is so bad that it isn’t really clear what all you get with it. Is there really a lift at all? Unclear.
We would want to consider the price difference from the 33s to the 35s; not just the stand alone value since no one would order a jeep w/ out these when buying new wouldn't we?
Sponsored